Author Topic: Nasty mushrooms - how to get rid of them  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Gray

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Nasty mushrooms - how to get rid of them
« on: April 02, 2016, 02:01:14 PM »
Hello all,
My name is Gray. I have listened to TSP for a couple years now and I am coming to you for some help. I have some very rotten smelling mushrooms growing around a dead stump. They come in thick after a good rain then start to wilt and die after the sun dries them out. This is when they stink the most.

So far all I have found onlone is to remove the stump and all the dirt around it where the mushrooms are growing. That wouldn't be to hard if the stump wasn't 3' in circumference with massive roots in every direction. The only other idea I have had is to burn the stump but it is very close to the house.

Do yall have any ideas?

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
Re: Nasty mushrooms - how to get rid of them
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 04:45:37 PM »
I am assuming from your post that these are the common stinkhorn mushrooms.  If so they smell like rotten meat and look like uh, well like "man parts" (their Latin name is Phallus Impudicus).  They only way I know to get rid of these is to clean the area really well of any and then spread a little lime around there.  Some say to use hot water and bleach although I've never tried that.  Also we sometimes use salt/vinegar mix as weed killer - don't know if that would work - could end up like salad dressing on them.  Good luck.  Let us know what you try and the results. Blessings TBM

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 05:23:31 PM »
I have read that planting pumpkins around a stump like that will break up the root system and thus make it easier to remove, but living in the desert, i have never had a tree trunk on which to try this method.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »
Dmump some slack lime on it, is my first thought. Or pop a salt block on the stum to feed
wildlife, help breakvdown the stump, and maybe kill thse mushrooms

Cedar