Author Topic: Anybody investing in Maidsafe, Dash, or Ether?  (Read 3346 times)

Offline livingfreedom

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Anybody investing in Maidsafe, Dash, or Ether?
« on: April 27, 2016, 08:39:19 AM »
Just wondering what other thoughts are on these protocols and or if any of you guys have decided to back these projects with $$? I personally am long these other protocols as well as BTC.

Offline richze90

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Anybody investing in Maidsafe, Dash, or Ether?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 10:11:57 AM »
Those three are all unique investments and I am personally invested in each of those and think it is a good idea to put some of your Crypto in each.   In addition, I have added another token called Storjcoin (SJCX) that I have invested in. 

Here are some of my reasons to invest but also some areas of concerns. 

Maidsafe:

This is a new decentralized internet concept.  Maidsafe is a company based out of Scotland that has developed a protocol that will allow all folks to ask as a webhost.  Unlike centralized web-hosting, your website is splintered across several nodes on the Maidsafe network and encrypted so NO ONE but yourself (or those who you give access) can control or access your site's data. 

It is important to note that this is not yet a real live network and is still in development.  If the development actually succeeds it will usher in a new era of internet privacy and control, however if it putters out the investment will be worth zero.

Dash:

This is coin came out of the free market's desire to create a completely anonymous currency.  Originally it started of as Darkcoin, but was recently rebranded as Dash.  I feel this will also be a niche currency in the future as the market (and government) like the idea of being able to trace transactions from one address to another.  I hold this currency because of its privacy aspects.  This is more of an insurance plan if I ever need to transact without ANY possibility of anyone knowing about it. 

Ether: 

There has been a lot of stories of Ether becoming more successful than Bitcoin, however these are largely sensationalist stories.  Ether and Bitcoin are really different animals.  Bitcoin was development primary as a currency while Ether was developed as a highly programmable decentralized contract management system.  Ether currently uses proof of work (which will be migrating to a proof of stake) with a large amount being held by the developers.  Unlike Bitcoin the developers are in control and more tokens may be issued at any given time which will dilute the value of every current token in circulation.  So think of Bitcoin like a hard money investment and Ether like a share in a company that can be diluted (probably not the best analogy). 

Storj:

Storj is a decentralized storage platform that some compare to Maidsafe.  Think of Storj like a decentralized Google drive, Dropbox, or Amazon cloud drive where you can build web apps that access the Storj; while Maidsafe is a decentralized internet.  Both have incredible potential to solve our privacy issues with the internet.  Storj (Storj.io) is actually a live working beta platform where you can currently lease out your excess hard drive space and receive money about 5c-10c per GB per month.

I have higher hopes for Storj because it works really well on top of the current internet and it is in a working beta.  When files are loaded onto the Storj network, they are split apart into several little "shards" that are encrypted.  The individuals hosting their excess hard drive space will receive one of these shards and each shard will be sent to multiple hosts to ensure file redundancy if one host drops off the internet.  As a result, no one but yourself can access your files.  Someone would need to get your private keys from your computer to access your files.  This is a lot more difficult for the Government to do then simply calling up Google or Amazon to get access to all your files. 

Hopefully that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.  If interested in purchasing any of these I can point you to some services that can help you do just that.