Aquiculture for Protien Production
134 (10%)
Finding the Right Property to make into a Homestead
171 (12.7%)
Using Airsoft as a Training Tool
63 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Voting closed: May 03, 2016, 07:59:32 AM

Author Topic: Choose the Tuesday Shows for May 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th and 31st  (Read 7681 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
There are five Tuesdays in May, so there are ten choices, they will be done in order of highest to lowest for the top five.

The bottom five will be moved to the month of June, any topic that failed to make the cut in both April and May will be culled from June's subjects.

You can and SHOULD vote for up to five topics.  Note that you have to actually vote, posting a response only won't be counted. 

However if you have suggestions for Junes topics post them here.  Those comments will be considered.  This poll will close on Monday May 2nd.
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Choose the Tuesday Shows for May 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th and 31st
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 08:19:30 AM »
Passive Income.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline DWESmith

• Prepper
  • GSD at my own pace.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 10:45:41 AM »
Setting up a homestead once you've acquired the land?
"Keep Calm and Fish On!"

Offline JakeR

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 03:12:57 PM »
Urban Homesteading (suck it dervaes' lol) , its been awhile since we've heard stuff you used to talk about for under half an acre suburban homesteading.

Offline Teeroy

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 05:07:15 PM »
Passive income sounds good.

How about a show about the last _____ you will ever need. Purchases or Projects that last damn near forever (that you can take with you if you move).
Just listing maybe 10 things that if you lost everything you would replace with the exact same product every time and why.
I know its jacks opinion but the conversations it could start might be interesting.
“If something is wrong, it matters not if a thousand men are for it; you must still oppose it. If something is just, no amount of popular outcry should stay you from your course.”
― Terry Goodkind, Naked Empire

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 08:00:46 PM »
Passive income sounds good.

How about a show about the last _____ you will ever need. Purchases or Projects that last damn near forever (that you can take with you if you move).
Just listing maybe 10 things that if you lost everything you would replace with the exact same product every time and why.
I know its jacks opinion but the conversations it could start might be interesting.

Great Idea!!

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
    • homeschoolermatch.com
homeschoolermatch.com is my project to help homeschoolers find other homschoolers and subject matter experts.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
A good government may, indeed, redress the grievances of an injured people; but a strong people can alone build up a great nation. - Thomas Francis Meagher

Offline Da Li

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 07:48:59 PM »
Another +1 to both passive income and the last ____ you'll need.

Sometimes the best thing that can happen is for your phone to die....

Offline David S

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 12:49:29 PM »
Aquaculture would be an interesting twist for both the regenerative community and long term food storage crowd (large quantities of both protein and water that doesn't have to be kept indoors).

Keep up the entertaining work.

DS

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 01:02:38 PM »
Yeah, I would like an Aquaculture show, specifically for cool climates. There's tons of info out there from Tilapia growers, but it's not feasible for many up north. Catfish and Blugill are common, but you don't get the same feed conversion and you need to scale up a lot for equal production given that they are slow to mature to a usable size in cooler waters.

I've toyed with it a bit, and tried indoor tilapia and prawns, seriously... I had a shelf with 12 kiddie pools filled with freshwater prawns. In the end, it was way too much work and expense for 5lbs of prawns, but I maintain there is a more economically feasible way of doing it, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Another companion topic may be see vegetables. Anyone doing aquaculture is already equipped for it. There are a lot of varieties of edible and highly nutritious seaweeds (many of which taste very good when cooked properly). I know a lot of people who grow Spirulina Algae tanks as a nutritional supplement and as animal feed. You can grow a lot of high grade algae in an IBC with a 600W sodium light in your basement, and it sells for quite a bit to the right market. A discussion of some of those edible aquatic plant species would be great.
A good government may, indeed, redress the grievances of an injured people; but a strong people can alone build up a great nation. - Thomas Francis Meagher

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 02:40:33 PM »
A factual study of Amazon self publishing income potential might be a good standalone topic or as part of the passive income.
Providing American Beef from the Great Southwest

Offline SpareMag

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 08:08:54 PM »
Nice to see 4 of 5 of my votes are in the majority :)
USMC vet ~ MSB Member ~ man of few words

Offline CharlieDake

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Topic idea
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 06:06:25 AM »
Well here's an idea for June:

Subtle substitutions and additions that can keep you prepared without drawing attention or getting in the way.   I bet you can word it better; you're the pro ;)

I know a lot of folks here like survivalism "as attire" but I'm probably not the only one whose limiting factor is conspicuity.  Maybe if talking to family and friends wins for May this gets covered there, and maybe it came up in the first 1500 someodd episodes (I'm on the new side), but regardless, it's something I'd like hearing.  It's a much more limiting factor here than cost or availability or cetera.

Thanks for everything as always,

Charlie

Offline SBlakeS

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 07:02:27 AM »
My suggestion is storing food with limited space such as a small apartment with a tiny kitchen.

Offline MarylandPrepGal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member / New Prepper
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 07:22:49 AM »
Another suggestion for future voting (based on previous comment), but needs rewording: Growing / Investing in a (suburban/urban/under acre) garden, when you know you will move within a few years (or just at some point). Considering issues such as: mobility of bush/tree/plant and ability to take clippings/replant; creating an edible landscape that is pleasing to a potential buyer (assuming typical suburban non-prepper); making smart financial decisions to maximize ability to build on effort at location #1 to location #2 (whether that is a homestead / "vacation" home / new home).

(Can you tell? I'm pretty sure we're not gonna be in our suburban home for 20 years, and I've seen your posts/comments about moving several times since starting the podcast, so figure you have some thoughts about some of this!!!)

I'm a newbie listener (and newbie MSB - thank you for the April discount!!) and am slowly working through the old files. If there is an old podcast on this topic that I haven't stumbled on, please redirect me! :) Thanks for the great information that you share in your podcasts.
New-to-Preparedness
Suburban Maryland, USA

Offline sustainablelady

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 09:18:22 AM »
Talking to friends and family about prepping... specifically, talking to a spouse who isn't on board.

Offline mtregularguy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 10:51:13 AM »
It would be interesting to get Jack's take on drones. And thoughts on using a drone to keep an eye on your property. Thanks.

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 09:05:04 AM »
Getting started in Bitcoin or other crypto-currencies.
Not sure if there's a whole show-worth, but it's an idea I saw in another thread that might make sense here.

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 03:52:20 PM »
My votes.

20 items: I am always interested in perfecting the "basics"

Airsoft: I have been toying with this one. I am teaching the wife and a few other friends some practical self defense and scenario based training. I'd like to take it to the next level. I think this would do it but am not sure I want to drop the cash on these items. Is it worth it...

Doggies: we now have 2 acres and will be building this year. A dog may or may not be coming in our future. I'd need to consider breed, type of training and how to get use to our neighbor chickens (they are free range and I welcome them on my property).

Offline sustainablelady

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 02:08:29 PM »
Physical fitness as part of "prepping" and living a sustainable life. Can you be overweight and out of shape and still be prepared? I know some people who rely on weapons as their sole means of defense because they can't "run" from a threat.

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »
for June How about:

1)  10 plants to grow for the most calories produced for the effort.

2) Drought tolerant plants if irrigation water is no longer available or too expensive.

3) What did you take along for preps when you flew to PV3?

Providing American Beef from the Great Southwest

Offline bobcoz

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 02:48:59 PM »
Kind of odd one but.....top 5, 10, 15, 20 or more. books for the modern survivalist.  Subjects could be history, money, (history of money?), investing, gardening/permaculture, cookbooks, medical, guns/reloading, mechanics...basically anything that could improve one's knowledge of any subject or give someone a good, base level knowledge of a subject to get them started in an area pertaining to modern survivalism.  They could also be more indepth as well.  Maybe a couple in series for a subject....for example for someone want to start a garden would do well to read book A, then book B, then Book c for a real good understanding of the subject.   Though some fiction books are always welcome.  Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Offline beakerello

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 06:23:23 PM »
How to eat like a king while living like a pauper.- June show topic