Author Topic: Seeking guidance for minimalist highway first aid kit  (Read 17340 times)

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
Re: Seeking guidance for minimalist highway first aid kit
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 08:49:41 PM »

I recommend having two "LifeHammer The Original Emergency Hammer (Orange)", Amazon, $14.95.  Cheaper copy cats of this hammer are made in China and I would not buy them.  Lifehammers are made in the Netherlands.  On Amazon, comments on the China ones says they won't break the door window.

True story:  I had two LifeHammers in my car, one on each side of the car, but this day we were in Bob's car with no LifeHammers.  A man ran into the side of the car, on my, the passenger side.  Bob got out to talk to the man who hit us, while I was checking myself for damage.  I tried to open my door and it would not move.  Where the man hit the car pushed the side of the car in front of my door and there was no way to open it from the inside.  Luckily, we were not in water and the car did not catch fire.

I could not turn my neck to the left.  I sat still inside the car until the ambulance got there.  One medical tech grabbed the door handle and pulled with all his might and got the door open.  They put a neck brace on me and off to the hospital we went.  MRI determined my neck was not broken.  The blow to the car had snapped my neck and I had to wear a neck support for a few weeks as turning my neck to the left wasn't going to happen due to pain. 

Now, if the car had been in water or it started burning, I could not get out of the car as the door would not open.  If I had a LifeHammer, with one blow I could have broken out the window and had a way to get out.  There is now a LifeHammer on both sides of that car in the door storage area.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 11:55:56 PM »
An advantage of the life hammer over other car glass punches, is thta you can use it as a clearign tool for the crushed glass.

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 03:04:25 PM »
I was listening to Doc Bones recently: Never thought of it but most tourniquets aren't sized well for kids. The SWAT-T is usable on little children according to him. I got that confirmed with the Swat Medics I know.

I have kids and chose those as my go to T for them.

(I am a medic so I am not a novice at bleeding control)

Offline FreeThinker

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 06:09:38 PM »
The Adventure Medical Trauma Paks Timlugia mentioned are available on Amazon Subscribe and Save, 15% off the usual $18.99 price for anyone that uses S&S.  Cheapest price I'd found.  We had them on our monthly list for quite a while, added one for each truck kit, one for each offroad toy, a couple more for the house.  Then starting giving extra ones away to friends and family before I finally cancelled the subscription.   Probably need to re-add them before too long, the QuikClot is good for some time after the expiration date as I understand it but the temp swings in the vehicles likely isn't helping.

Our TQs are improvised Ranger Ratchets, maybe not ideal but they are effective (even one-handed) and versatile for other uses in the trucks too.  Gauze pads, roller gauze, and tape is the rest of the bleeding control items, and much of the rest is boo-boo and minor illness/ailment stuff.  One thing I'm glad I finally did was standardize the kits in all the vehicles a couple years back, same bags, same items, same locations.  Nothing worse than going to grab something from a FAK and realizing what I wanted was in the other kit in the other truck.

LifeHammers... thanks.  Sounds like good Christmas presents I can ask the wife for this year.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 02:11:32 PM »
The Adventure Medical Trauma Paks Timlugia mentioned are available on Amazon Subscribe and Save, 15% off the usual $18.99 price for anyone that uses S&S.  Cheapest price I'd found.  We had them on our monthly list for quite a while, added one for each truck kit, one for each offroad toy, a couple more for the house.  Then starting giving extra ones away to friends and family before I finally cancelled the subscription.   Probably need to re-add them before too long, the QuikClot is good for some time after the expiration date as I understand it but the temp swings in the vehicles likely isn't helping.

Our TQs are improvised Ranger Ratchets, maybe not ideal but they are effective (even one-handed) and versatile for other uses in the trucks too.  Gauze pads, roller gauze, and tape is the rest of the bleeding control items, and much of the rest is boo-boo and minor illness/ailment stuff.  One thing I'm glad I finally did was standardize the kits in all the vehicles a couple years back, same bags, same items, same locations.  Nothing worse than going to grab something from a FAK and realizing what I wanted was in the other kit in the other truck.

LifeHammers... thanks.  Sounds like good Christmas presents I can ask the wife for this year.

Great tip on the Adventure Medical Trauma Paks at S&S.  Thanks

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »
For MINIMALIST put several 6 X 6 pads,several rolls of gauze ,several feet of paracord ,and a roll of duct tape in a brightly colored package.
With medical assistance being nearby ,this or a trauma kit as above will get you by quite well as about all you need to do is stop major bleeding
till EMS gets on scene.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 02:45:53 PM »
I keep a very basic first aid kit in my glove box, that's not much more than surgical gloves and a variety of bandages.  I'd like to improve this a bit.

I don't want to spend tons of money, nor take up a lot of space.  Primarily thinking about stopping bleeding or other critical things prior to EMTs arriving on scene.  I have a more comprehensive kit I camp and backpack with.  The philosophy there is that help may be much further away.

Any suggestions for automobile first aid kits?

My theory is to go with the kit that offers the most and still fits your needs in cost, size, weight.  My reason is that you'll never know if someone else will be on scene with the skills to utilize your kit and save your life or somebody else's life.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
     The current January issue of Off Grid magazine, issue #17, has an excellent article on the type of situation you may have to deal with if you come upon a vehicle accident It also covers aspects of gunshot wounds, move the victim or not, etc. The trauma equipment is minimal and basic, relying on knowledge, common sense and practice, rather than a full blown kit. This article is more about major injuries and life saving decisions in a "good Samaritan" context, rather than simple "bandaid" first aid. I have no connection with the magazine other than I like it and although it does have a good deal of advertising, much of it is in the form of useful product reviews.

Offline Odin's Son

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 03:39:08 PM »
I'd like to throw in my 2 cents about tourniquets.  A little background on me includes being a medic, a swat officer and instructor of various disciplines.  As far as tourniquets go, check out the TCCC (tactical combat causality care)course.  You can download the course materials for free from their website.  It's geared towards combat, obviously, but has great information on bleeding control.  Here are a couple points i wanted to hit though. 

* A tourniquet should be at least 1 inch wide and 1.5 is better.
* TCCC recommends both the C-A-T and the SOFT-T but i have found the C-A-T to be easier to use.
* The SWAT-T has some extra uses but we proved in training that we couldn't consistently apply it one handed. Also when wet it doesn't work as well.
*Clotting aids (such as quick clot and cleox) Celox works outside the bodies normal clotting process so it works better on people with clotting disorders and people taking blood thinners/ anti clotting meds.

There is so much more i would say but check it out for yourself.  Even if you cant take the class, the powerpoint has some great information.  Here are some links to the information.  As well as some other great courses. 

http://www.naemt.org/education/TCCC/guidelines_curriculum

http://www.naemt.org/education/TCCC/tccc-ac