Author Topic: "Emergency" Canned Food Question  (Read 6746 times)

Offline marco

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
"Emergency" Canned Food Question
« on: April 12, 2016, 12:26:59 AM »
I live in florida & i wish to stock up on "emergency" canned food(s) for one person. What canned food can i purchase from walmart, etc that will not perish for two years? The cans will be placed in a cupboard. There is also the possibility that my air conditioner could fail from one to five days because of an electrical outage.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: "Emergency" Canned Food Question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 05:02:16 AM »
Marco, the short answer is almost anything and everything.  Most canned food will easily go two or more years if kept at room temperature.  The key thing is to buy stuff that you'll eat, and to eat through and rotate your stock.  In other words, "store what you eat, eat what you store."

Jack just did a show on the topic lat week.  It goes way beyond what you're asking, but it covers canned food near the start.  http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/1759-food-storage

Offline Arky

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 06:44:23 AM »
Marco, the short answer is almost anything and everything.  Most canned food will easily go two or more years if kept at room temperature.  The key thing is to buy stuff that you'll eat, and to eat through and rotate your stock.  In other words, "store what you eat, eat what you store."

Jack just did a show on the topic lat week.  It goes way beyond what you're asking, but it covers canned food near the start.  http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/1759-food-storage

+1 On what he said.  I like to keep canned meats (ie. spam, vienna sausages, canned chicken, canned tuna). In a disaster you really don't have to heat these up or anything, you can just open and eat. This gives you more time to focus on either preparing for the disaster, or cleaning up afterwards.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 06:45:58 AM »
I have found few canned foods that will not last YEARS BEYOND expiration dates. Avoid bent,dented cans and little will grow for a long,long time. I lean towards spaghettis and such with tomato as the acid environment all but prevents any chance of growth.
Fun read about canning.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/Canned_foods.html

Offline marco

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 07:45:19 AM »
There is the possibility that "if" my AC stops working the canned food will not be at room temperature. More likely 90 Deg. F.   

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 08:45:21 AM »
There is the possibility that "if" my AC stops working the canned food will not be at room temperature. More likely 90 Deg. F.

Then 90 degrees WILL be room temperature...They just don't want temps to FREEZE or top 110 degrees , either will damage or limit stability of food in cans.

ROOM TEMPERATURE turned up this:

The Danger Zone. Potentially hazardous food that stays in the temperature "danger zone", 40-140 °F (4-60 °C), for more than 2 hours should be discarded. Potentially hazardous foods are those foods that spoil most easily, such as unshelled eggs, raw meats, fish, shell fish, dairy products, almost all cooked foods.

And this:  http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/basics/myths/

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 09:23:52 AM »

First, it will only be at this temperature for a relatively short time, when the power is out. 90'F for a few days or weeks every year isnt anything to worry about for your canned goods. You have them inside, in temperatures you find comfortable, so they will last a couple years (at east) with no worries

endurance

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 10:42:02 AM »
I've moved away from normal canned goods to a large degree. I just found I don't eat enough canned goods on a regular basis to make rotation work very well. Instead, I do a lot more storage of pasta, rice, and oats as my foundation, and fill in with dehydrated or freeze dried meats and veggies. The pasta, rice and oats have a longer shelf life than canned goods and they're easier to incorporate into my daily diet with fresh meats and veggies. The freeze dried meats and veggies are stable for 10-25 years, so I have them for emergencies and backpacking.

Just a different approach that might work better for you... Or not.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 06:18:19 PM »
Oh that's not a problem.  It's the *months*and*months* at high temperatures that's a problem.  So storing food in a hot attic or garage or car trunk for years is out.  A couple of weeks with the AC off with it hitting 100deg inside is no particular problem.  At least, not for the food; you may feel otherwise. ;)

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »
Dont forget to stock a manual can opener.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »
Dont forget to stock a manual can opener.
And maybe two.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 08:00:23 PM »

Offline marco

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 10:20:53 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your reply. Very informative.

Richard (richard)

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 08:44:46 PM »
Do you mean that "room temperature" will be 90 Deg. F.? Do you mean to say that if the AC stops working that room temperature will be 90 Deg. F?
What situation where you live would cause electricity to be off for 5 days? If it were, how would you cook the canned food? Would you have water? Have you considered other methods of storing "emergency" food? And do you plan on rotating these cans of 'emergency' food? In other words would you be storing what you eat? Would you be stocking canned goods that you already consume?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 02:18:27 AM »
Do you mean that "room temperature" will be 90 Deg. F.? Do you mean to say that if the AC stops working that room temperature will be 90 Deg. F?
What situation where you live would cause electricity to be off for 5 days? If it were, how would you cook the canned food? Would you have water? Have you considered other methods of storing "emergency" food? And do you plan on rotating these cans of 'emergency' food? In other words would you be storing what you eat? Would you be stocking canned goods that you already consume?

There are many things that can cause a power outage of up to 5 days. I have had power out for this long just due to power lines down in a storm. Maybe power doesnt go out much where you live. I was amazed when the big storms happened in New Jersey a couple years ago, I talked to a family member there and she said it was the first time in her life she had had power out for more than an hour. Amazing. So, just because it hasnt happened yet, it is something to prepare for that could happen.

The original poster may have a gas stove. It is always prudent to have multiple ways to heat up or cook food, in case of emergency and the gas or electric being out. Camp stove/fuel, woodstove, many choices and ways. I like having warm food, especially when the power is out.

Most people have some canned goods in storge, and it is often a first thing to store, for new preppers, as it is familiar.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 04:28:24 AM »
I had WOLF BRAND CHILI yesterday,I know....lots of people eat chili....but the date of expiration was FEB 2007!
I alo buy canned ham and other meat on sale,often near expiration , and as long as cans are not bent or 'puffy' rarely find any problem with the food ...
though the nutrition may not be as good.If it looks and smells good...me and the dog will eat it.

Richard (richard)

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 08:05:46 AM »
The reason I ask why a power outage at all is to know what conditions caused it that would affect food preparation. A power outage in Florida I would assume would be due to tropical weather storms, but would it include flooding? In the northeast it would be due to an ice storm, or a nordeaster, most likely in colder weather. I'm not too concerned about my family in New Jersey when they have days long power outages in the winter as they have wood and oil heat and very little essential need for electricity. I am more concerned however about family in Florida as it is electrical cooking, no basements and crowded garages = very few people have generators. But they do have camping equipment. So my question to Marco, and all Marco's, is do you have an alternative means of cooking in a prolonged electrical power outage? And canned food is the preferred choice for emergency rations in my opinion. You can easily get by on a lot of canned food without cooking. Relying on frozen or refrigerated food in a power outage in Florida would not be a good idea. But if you are storing canned food as an emergency option in Florida, I would put them in a sealed five gallon bucket that could easily be grabbed and loaded in your get-away vehicle.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 08:21:36 AM »
I have an electric stove here,and microwave...I have TWO of these propane cook tops and have used them enough to know they run
about 3 hours total time with one can of fuel, I store about 20 cans and buy when on sale.Most can food can be consumed
cold and I have often done so when tired or when chemo makes it hard to stand and cook.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000020931-Powerpack-Propane-Stove/dp/B0009PUS6M/ref=sr_1_12?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1475072175&sr=1-12&keywords=coleman+propane

Offline danaaj

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »
get your self a freeze dryer and start prepping also water lots of water distilled will last longer