Author Topic: Wildlife food plot in future garden area.  (Read 1556 times)

Offline racer038

• Survivor
Wildlife food plot in future garden area.
« on: April 16, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »
Out at the farm I have a 7000 sq. ft. area that will eventually become a garden area.  I am probably 4 years away. Every year this little field turns into a ragweed jungle. I have previously used the small area as a fall food plot for deer and turkey using oats, turnips, and sunflowers at times and wheat, winter peas and radishes at other times.  The success is more dependent on weather and timing than on the mix itself.  I did a soil test and am treating it this week.  I have found a thriving wild honeybee hive close-by and am considering using buckwheat and white ladino clover as a spring foodplot. I am hoping the clover will choke out the ragweed this fall.  I have had success with the white ladino clover on other fields on the farm, but am wondering about the buckwheat and if it is a good fit with the clover.  As always, sharing your experience is greatly appreciated.   

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Wildlife food plot in future garden area.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 07:27:15 PM »
Buckwheat and clover go well together, they're commonly combines in deer plot mixes. You may also consider a mix with Daikon Radish to help aerate the soil and prevent thatching.
Check out http://www.deercreekseed.com/ They carry a lot of these types of seed. They're not the absolute cheapest, but they're the cheapest I've found with such a large selection (allowing you to make your own mixes). For that area, I'd spread 5-6lbs of landino clover, 10lbs of buckwheat, and 5lbs of daikon. Perhaps a bit of Sorghum and/or Sunflower as well (a commercial birdseed mix will cover that cheaply).

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Wildlife food plot in future garden area.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 05:55:26 AM »
I have used Johnnys green manure mix for both feed plots and to overseed in the fields and any where I need some green manure. I have done other mixes but it seems to be hard to find bulk seeds in my area. they have mixes but they want a ton for them and most are in smaller bags.