Author Topic: new Anker Powerhouse battery pack  (Read 7248 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
new Anker Powerhouse battery pack
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:39:32 PM »
Before anyone asks, no I don't have one, and this is not a review.

It's just a note about something that looks very cool that's just coming out.  It amounts to 120AH battery pack – that's "two car batteries worth of deep-cycle" – in a 9.3 lb package.  The down side is that it's $400 on pre-order, $500 at regular price.  Here are the links:
https://www.anker.com/deals/powerhouse
http://qrznow.com/ankers-massive-120600mah-portable-battery-weighs-9-pounds/

It looks like the outputs are 120vac, 4 USBs, and 1 cigarette plug-in (what's that, maybe 10A?).  I wish it had a nice 13vdc powerpole outlet, but hey, there's always Carl's mega-cheap & awesome 30A power supply and that can run off this thing's 120vac socket.

I am not rushing out to buy one, because (a) $400 is a lot of money (not as much as $500 though...), (b) there may be teething pains and so I'd rather buy v2.0, and (3) the price is sure to come down over the next year or so.  No, I am not rushing out to buy one, BUT.  This thing is a game changer.  It is a camping/bug-out power pack, it is a weekend's worth of power for a tent or cabin, it is a day pack-able power supply for remote ham operating.  In fact, it's about 2x oversized for most all of those, but sometimes "too much of everything is just enough," to quote the Grateful Dead.  Again, 9.3 lbs.

I'm excited.  I want to see some real-world testing and reviews of this thing.  If I hadn't run into a batch of expenses lately (you're welcome, IRS) I'd be tempted to wing it.  But I'll wait for the initial reviews to trickle in.  In the meantime, if anybody sees one of these things in the wild, please post something.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: new Anker Powerhouse battery pack
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 08:48:25 PM »
Dammit, AG!!!  I don't think I can resist........  But you knew that, didn't you?!

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 09:11:30 PM »
Hang in there FL!  According to this article http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2016/04/20/ankerpowerhouse/ it won't be out until May 22nd.  Maybe somebody'll find a sneak preview article between now and then.

Two more teaser articles:
http://www.geek.com/mobile/ankers-massive-120600mah-portable-battery-weighs-9-pounds-charges-your-phone-40-times-1652721/
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/massive-120600-mah-anker-powerhouse-portable-charger-19-04-2016/
They all show about the same info, give or take a tidbit or two.

I am revved up for this thing to be something really cool... OTOH hiking season is almost over here, and will be well over by the time May 22 + shipping time rolls around.  I can bide my time until October.

Like I said, it's a game changer.  I wonder if they'll bring out a 60 AH version that weights 5 lbs?  That actually might do a better job for me.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 11:58:04 PM »
OK.....I'm calming down......and......where's the bloody specs for this thing?

The contents of this picture is like the sum total of the available info.  WTH?

What's the native voltage of the battery, and is it composed of cylindrical or prismatic cells? 

Of what significance is the runtime for a 15V light, and which port is delivering 15V?  Does that mean the native battery voltage is 15V?

Why just one huge 12V outlet, why not also a barrel connector lead with multiple adapters for 13V laptops?  Twin PowerPoles would be so, so, sweet!  The GoalZero Yeti has one.

While we're at it, why not a 19V outlet for laptops?

And most importantly, what's the max AC and DC load it can handle?  Does the reference to the mini-fridge indicate the inverter is limited to around 150-200W?  If so, the DC output might be capable of 10-15A, but probably not 20A.

On the plus side, I've always had good luck with Anker stuff and easily have a dozen of their devices that I'm very happy with.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 05:31:29 AM »
The spec I don't like is $500...with 100 AH 123Volt batteries selling at $35 here in Louisiana.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 06:07:28 AM »
The spec I don't like is $500...with 100 AH 123Volt batteries selling at $35 here in Louisiana.
What are those Carl?  New 12v deep cycle flooded batteries go in the $85 range for 75 AH.  If there's some wundersource of batteries I've been missing out on....?

The spec I keep looking at is 9.3 lbs.  Between that weight reduction from 120 AH of flooded lead and all of the money that I won't have to carry around anymore, that's quite a weight savings.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 06:36:37 AM »
What are those Carl?  New 12v deep cycle flooded batteries go in the $85 range for 75 AH.  If there's some wundersource of batteries I've been missing out on....?

The spec I keep looking at is 9.3 lbs.  Between that weight reduction from 120 AH of flooded lead and all of the money that I won't have to carry around anymore, that's quite a weight savings.

I get them from a local INTERSTATE shop,only 30 day guarantee as 'blemished'...but about 90 pounds.
The spec that you don't see is CURRENT CAPABILITY...sure charging a laptop or cell phone is cool...BUT a man needs POWER.
QUOTE Boasting a remarkable 434 watt-hours of energy, END QUOTE

Well a 12 volt battery at only 50 amp hours (50 X 12 =) IS ABOUT 600 Watt hours...or is my math skewed?

and 120 amp hours times 12 volts is more like 1440 watt hours ....isn't it?

ADDED: I love the light weight  power aspect...but the math does not add up and I am not convinced of the usefulness.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:49:13 AM by Carl »

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 06:39:15 AM »
That is a huge deal for someone with a micro camper.  Or someone needing an insulin fridge in their minivan or SUV.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 05:48:49 PM »
The spec that you don't see is CURRENT CAPABILITY...sure charging a laptop or cell phone is cool...BUT a man needs POWER.
QUOTE Boasting a remarkable 434 watt-hours of energy, END QUOTE

Well a 12 volt battery at only 50 amp hours (50 X 12 =) IS ABOUT 600 Watt hours...or is my math skewed?

and 120 amp hours times 12 volts is more like 1440 watt hours ....isn't it?

ADDED: I love the light weight  power aspect...but the math does not add up and I am not convinced of the usefulness.

Yeah, too much from the marketing team and not enough from the engineering department.  Just going to have to wait until somebody gets their hands on one of these and starts poking it with meters until the truth spills out.

I will be waiting patiently.  It still looks interesting, but it'll take some real numbers before I lay my money down.

On the plus side, I've always had good luck with Anker stuff and easily have a dozen of their devices that I'm very happy with.
Yes, and even Steven Harris says they make good stuff.  So I am hopeful.  Just time to wait on this one, see what it's really capable of doing.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 06:54:50 PM »
Like so many things, there are 3 attributes, and you may choose only 2.

inexpensive
high capacity
light weight

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 07:19:11 PM »
You left out cool tech appeal....

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 05:55:25 PM »
$500 to run a mini fridge for 7 hours when a $50(or less) inverter will do the same?  ::) For a couple hundred more dollars a person could buy a dedicated good quality fridge/freezer that will run on 12v or 24v.

Is there any reason a DIYer couldn't build the same thing(or better) for way less money given the availability of Li-ion batteries?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 09:18:11 PM »
$500 to run a mini fridge for 7 hours when a $50(or less) inverter will do the same?  ::) For a couple hundred more dollars a person could buy a dedicated good quality fridge/freezer that will run on 12v or 24v.

Is there any reason a DIYer couldn't build the same thing(or better) for way less money given the availability of Li-ion batteries?

Just not 9 pounds...of under achievement in a cool box.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 06:34:41 AM »
Well, I was thinking amp hours, not watt hours, when I said that.

But still, I wouldn't run a mini fridge or electric cooler from my starting battery.  It is a fairly easy (although not cheap) way to get an aux battery into a vehicle. But cheaper than setting up two vehicles with aux batteries.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 06:45:16 AM »
Well, I was thinking amp hours, not watt hours, when I said that.

But still, I wouldn't run a mini fridge or electric cooler from my starting battery.  It is a fairly easy (although not cheap) way to get an aux battery into a vehicle. But cheaper than setting up two vehicles with aux batteries.

Karma for thinking like me....

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 06:56:42 PM »
In a moment of math clarity (I get those sometimes), I remembered that it takes about 0.75AH @ 12v nominal to charge a smart phone, and so for their quoted 40 phone charges it comes out to 52AH.  Yeah, you're right on the mark Carl.  So how do they get off claiming 120AH?  ("Oh, but you see, these are special amp-hours.  They were passed through a unicorn's butt and now come with sparkles.")

50AH is in a sub-10lb package is still pretty cool, but nowhere near $500 worth of cool.  I keep thinking that before too long, the right combo of 12.8v x 50-ish AH with a 30A powerpole connector weighing 5lbs and going for sub-$100 is going to come along.  I'm beginning to think it's going to be a long wait.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 07:16:21 PM »
A 50 amp hour battery will do 300 watt hours or a little more without DAMAGE to the cell...nearly the same safety margin for Lithium Ion.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 07:00:52 AM »
After reading the reviews it's still interesting, but not the droids we were looking for.

Thanks for posting that Carl.