Author Topic: Tails: The Amnesic Incognito Live System (Linux/TOR privacy)  (Read 9269 times)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Tails: The Amnesic Incognito Live System (Linux/TOR privacy)
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 08:54:45 PM »
The latest Tails 3.0.1 update has been running great on my 2008 MacBook and 2009 MacBook Pro, and for the first time actually completes the entire shut down sequence properly, so I no longer have to manually power the machine off.  This is hands-down the best version so far.

Many flash drives do not play well, if at all, with Tails.  The ones pictured above have consistently worked well for me, the first 3 are by Kingston, the fourth from Transcend, and the last is a Gorilla Drive I found from EP Memory.  The Transcend has the smallest form factor and only sticks out about 7/16" from the side of the computer.

The various San Disk, Lexar, Samsung, and Silicon Power flash drives I have tried do not work with Tails, although San Disk's SD cards have worked well.
23:57:30

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 02:53:08 AM »

Chances are running Tor even on a VM is going to be much better than using a browser on windows as 95% of spyware and the like probably is not that sophisticated even though a lot of spying is going on.

Offline Sailor

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 09:54:02 AM »
Yeah, the Transcend's have been working great for me. 

Remember, do not ever use this on any computer associated with you or any of your locations, (home, work etc)  Complete separation is required, you basically have to create a separate "you" that never crosses the real you. 

If you just want more privacy on computers you own, a VPN and Tor work great.  Never use public wifi without a VPN though. 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »
Yeah, the Transcend's have been working great for me. 

Remember, do not ever use this on any computer associated with you or any of your locations, (home, work etc)  Complete separation is required, you basically have to create a separate "you" that never crosses the real you. 

If you just want more privacy on computers you own, a VPN and Tor work great.  Never use public wifi without a VPN though.

I understanding the technical reasons, but not the methodology.

Why can't you test our TOR on a personal machine you own?  I agree for true OPSEC, like transmitted leak classified documents and actual stuff you wanted to keep secret should be done with layers on anonymity. Go to an internet cafe, pay cash, etc.

The USB OS is stateless.  Anything you do while it's booted is volatile and disappears upon shut down.  So that USB should have no evidence that it was booted up from your laptop.

Offline Sailor

• Survivor
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 07:41:46 AM »
TOR does not hide  your MAC address which can be traced to your network location and then used to identify your specific computer.  TAILs at least uses a fake MAC that can't be positively connected to you, but it still can give away your location.

Find a digital copy of Kevin Mitnick's book The Art of Invisibility, and give it a read.  He was a world famous hacker who got caught, and is now a penetration tester. 

You have to choose security or convenience you can not have both, for some people TOR, or TAILS on a personal computer is enough, as long as you understand the limits of your decision. 

BTW Nord VPN service is great.  I have been very happy with them.  Working great off my phone and home/work computers.  While in China for 2 weeks this summer, it was the only way I could connect to sites that the Chinese .gov blocks.   

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 03:55:52 PM »
I remember playing with early Linux distribution 20 years ago, and changing my MAC to all zeros.  It really screwed with my ISP who hadn't even heard of Linux back then.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2017, 04:27:40 PM »
TOR does not hide  your MAC address which can be traced to your network location and then used to identify your specific computer.  TAILs at least uses a fake MAC that can't be positively connected to you, but it still can give away your location.

Find a digital copy of Kevin Mitnick's book The Art of Invisibility, and give it a read.  He was a world famous hacker who got caught, and is now a penetration tester. 

You have to choose security or convenience you can not have both, for some people TOR, or TAILS on a personal computer is enough, as long as you understand the limits of your decision. 

BTW Nord VPN service is great.  I have been very happy with them.  Working great off my phone and home/work computers.  While in China for 2 weeks this summer, it was the only way I could connect to sites that the Chinese .gov blocks.   

https://superuser.com/questions/349256/theory-regarding-mac-and-ip-address-in-network-packet-and-frame-content

Help me out here.

If you are using NAT behind your router (99% of people are), how are you exposing your MAC address to anyone outside your router?

While I understand that every computer has a ' unique' MAC address, how does a MAC address give away your location?

Does the TOR protocol use that MAC address with the first hop to the entrance node when it creates its VPN since it thinks it is on its own separate network?

Jerseyboy

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2017, 01:43:22 AM »
 I think your IP address is different. That probably comes from your service provider or whatever network you are on .. However, some kind of malware/spyware would be needed to get your mac address I suspect. Although your mac address is visible within your local network it would appear. I don't think your mac address is needed to spy on you unless you use your computer in a stealth type of way such as only using a specific laptop for specific purposes and not using it on your home network etc .. James Wesley Rawles says have a computer that you only use at libraries 20 miles from your house, which is kind of inconvenient 

My guess is that your ISP can help others spy on you based on the mac address and they have access to that info. It's been in the news it seems that ISPs have been allowed a lot of leeway in collecting and sharing your info. When yo are out on the web, you machine appears as an IP address but your ISP probably can map that to your mac address and probably they share that with certain companies who then provide that service to others

https://tor.stackexchange.com/questions/1641/does-tor-hide-my-mac-address-as-well-as-my-ip-address

In general when you visit a website the website won't be able to see your MAC address, even when not using Tor.

Only the hop directly after you is able to see your MAC, and chances are there's 10+ hops between you and a given web server.

========

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/67268/is-it-possible-to-retrieve-mac-address-of-a-host-using-tor

The MAC address is only visible on your local network. You don't need to hide it.

With Tor or without Tor, as soon as the packet reaches your default gateway, that computer sitting between you and the next network segment, your MAC cannot be seen anymore.

But if someone tries very hard to trace you, a special crafted website can get your MAC by exploiting your browser, executing some commands on your computer and get all kinds of information from the computer.

But this does not have anything to do with Tor nor no-Tor nor MAC address.

=========

https://www.reddit.com/r/onions/comments/2rvd5q/can_tor_browser_leak_my_mac_address/

========

https://www.quora.com/Do-internet-providers-track-your-stuff-using-MAC-address

If you have your own firewall which provides DHCP service and NAT for your devices, your MAC address is not in a DHCP request or router syslog going to the ISP.

If the ISP provides the router or manages a customer owned router, they certainly know the MAC address of that router. If that router is providing DHCP service or is acting as a bridge to provide IP addresses for your devices from a centralized DHCP server, the MAC address and the IP address (metadata) are logged. Additionally, your MAC address may be included in your IPv6 address. The DHCP logs and router syslogs can be obtained via a subpoena under CALEA, USA PATRIOT ACT, and/or The Homeland Security Act of 2002 by any law enforcement agency, even the dog catcher or child protective services. For legal compliance, many ISPs outsource their subpoena processing to Neustar, which uses SS8 Networks’

======

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:06:23 AM by surfivor »