Author Topic: "Alaskan Bush People" family charged for falsifying residency for licenses  (Read 8959 times)

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
Apparently they only moved to Alaska in 2012:
https://www.adn.com/article/20150812/alaskan-bush-people-stars-cited-falsifying-fishing-hunting-licenses

And the first cabin they built and supposedly chased away from wasn't "in the bush" but actually in a subdivision near a major highway:
http://www.adn.com/article/20140531/digging-reality-behind-alaskan-bush-people-claims-gunfire

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:17:41 AM by hackmeister »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
I actually watched this show last night. Although they are trapping and doing stuff, they look like a bunch of Cheechakos to me. Winter is there, they just don't know it yet. A seasoned bush person would have been HOT on getting that cabin built, or move into town for the winter. There is a 90 day or less window of 'spring/summer/fall".

Firewood? Showboating (no pun intended) with the boat and not listening to others will get you or someone else killed. They should cull him out of the 'pack'. I think possibly their Belgian Tervuren is the only one who has any sense (I might be biased on the Terv though as that is what I had for a SAR dog).

Has anyone else noted that all these 'reality shows' are getting into issues with the law?

(Edit)..  :rofl:
I decided to do a bit more research on these 'bush people' just in case I was wrong about them.. This is what I found out..

- The property, abandoned after filming ended in late 2012, sits in a subdivision less than 10 miles south of Copper Center, easily accessible from a dirt road just off the highway. There’s a pizza place about a half-mile away.

- The Browns had company living right next door: Jason Hoke, a 46-year-old regional economic development director originally from Albany, N.Y., but an Alaskan since 1996. Hoke said he grew increasingly frustrated during the show’s production by vehicles speeding up the dirt road, the shouting from next door and the constant buzz of chainsaws.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140531/digging-reality-behind-alaskan-bush-people-claims-gunfire
http://stoopidhousewives.com/2015/01/17/alaskan-bush-people-another-phony-reality-show-discovery-leased-land-locals-building-cabins-browns-live-in-a-lodge-browns-face-felony-charges/

Cedar
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:41:11 AM by Cedar »

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
I've watched this show, and I cannot turn away sometimes.  It is a mess.  Almost all the misfortunes this family suffers happen because of them, their own actions, non-actions,or just plain idiocy.  Not surprised with what I read in the linked articles.

TNV

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
So it's all bullshit but still entertaining. Kinda like wrestling.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
"Just like wrestling." I love that line.

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
Wait, I thought it was "wraslin"

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
As a gun nut, I notice the guns. It stood out to me that these supposed backwoods folks with little contact with the outside world, all seemed to be sporting guns either brand new or close to it. My gut tells me if the premise were true, they wouldn't be shooting a Ruger American with a Muddy Girl Camo synthetic stock, but more likely an old Mauser or 03A3.
They also seemed to be being weird for weirds sake. I wrote them off as bs within a few minutes. All TV has some bs, but I expect at least a window dressing of reality in my reality TV.

endurance

I've tried to watch it a few times and eventually I just get dizzy from all the eye rolling I end up doing. 

Hey, I think it's great if you want to leave your former life behind and start out a new life in Alaska or some other remote part of the country, but these guys clearly keep bringing their baggage with them.  They're a nuisance to their neighbors as long as Discovery Channel is attached at the hip and they fail to get the basic premise of what makes a good neighbor is simple; don't create or invite trouble into my backyard.

I have to say, I'm glad to see the FAA stuck to the charges regarding shooting a mortar at a helicopter, but for heaven's sake, flying helicopters around someone's property like that is enough to drive anyone nuts.  It is good to get closer to the full story on why they left their first place.

There's only so many seasons a show like this can go on for.  Soon enough folks will tire of it and it'll go away.  Interesting that they never have any 'dead of winter' filming.  I wonder where the family really lives in the winter and how much trouble they stir up there.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
I wonder where the family really lives in the winter and how much trouble they stir up there.

They live in that town that starts with an "H".. they do not live in their 'rugged wilderness', they live in town with the filming crew, apparently only going out to the land when they are filming.

Cedar

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
Next you're going to say that Amish Mafia is not real.  :o

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
Next you're going to say that Amish Mafia is not real

What?  Really!?!?!?!?!?

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
The father and one of the son's were sentenced to 30 days in jail and $21,000 in fines for lying on the application on the Alaskan oil wealth fund:
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/members-alaskan-bush-people-family-sentenced-jail-36226989

endurance

Amusing.  I'll admit, I tune in once in a while just because like crashes in NASCAR races, I can't take my eyes off of it. When they started having bear problems this year, I was shocked... Wait, you live on an island covered with bears, you have a glass window on the first floor or your cabin and you keep hundreds of pounds of food in there and you have a bear issue?!?  Shocking!

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
I like "Alaska: The Last Frontier."

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
More goodness from the stoopid housewives site:
http://stoopidhousewives.com/category/alaskan-bush-people/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:38:07 AM by hackmeister »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
So pouring chicken grease on a firearm is not a good idea? I guess all of the survival tips I gleaned from the show are in question now.

d3nni5

So pouring chicken grease on a firearm is not a good idea? I guess all of the survival tips I gleaned from the show are in question now.

Hell of a way to bring in the bears though!

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis

Has anyone else noted that all these 'reality shows' are getting into issues with the law?

Cedar

I've started to paraphrase Capt. Mal on it: "It's my estimation that every man ever got a reality tv deal was some kind of sonofabitch or another." The only one I care for is Dr. Pol (the veterinarian in Michigan).

We Alaskans are tired of kicking any rock and seeing a reality tv producer crawl out from under it, for sure (how on earth do you make a show about crab fishing last 15 years?). I think the town you're searching for is "Haines". After reading your links, I must clarify that, while it certainly does not fit into the definition of "Alaska bush", "just off the highway near copper center" doesn't mean what probably most of y'all think it means. The "highway" in question would barely qualify as a two lane country road to most of you, and it may be "only four hours from the largest city in Alaska", but that's three hours of nothing between here and there. You don't make the trip without making sure you top off your tank before you leave Palmer, and then pray nothing happens before you reach Glenallen. If you've ever driven in places like Wyoming or North Dakota, you know what I'm taking about. (It's a lovely drive too, early to mid September is gorgeous and the bugs ain't so bad). But yeah, these guys embarrass us Alaskans.