Author Topic: Daikon greens  (Read 2171 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Daikon greens
« on: May 08, 2016, 10:43:45 AM »

I have planted Daikon in my garden as a green manure and cover crop. I like to plant it around the edges of beds to try to keep the grass out. I have also planted spigarello around the edges of beds and in different places. It is like a leafy broccoli.

Sometimes the Daikon survives from the tuber and comes up again the following spring it seems like. At the base of the plant looks like a daikon tuber in there, unless it's something else.

What has been a little confusing is I get stuff coming up in places I did not plant anything. It could be mustard greens. The mustard greens, second year daikon, and spigarello from last year all seem to look alot similar and they all have yellow flowers.

I was going to give a freind of mine some spigarello or mustard greens, but I could not tell which was which very easily. But I found online that Daikon greens are edible and people do eat them. I did not know that

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-eat-daikon-radish-greens-91565.html

"You can eat all parts of the annual Daikon radish (Raphanus sativus var. longipinnatus) and they're tasty. Although most Americans are accustomed to eating only the roots of smaller radishes in salads or as garnish, Asians eat Daikon leaves, commonly called greens, in soups and pickled as in the Korean favorite, kimchi."

Daikon leaves grow in rosettes on top of the roots. If you remove the leaves from the plant, the roots will die so you have to harvest them at the same time. Young leaves are more tender and mild than mature leaves. Many grocers don’t realize Daikon greens are edible and remove them before displaying the roots. Some grocers store the greens in back for those who ask for them. If they're available, look for bright green, fresh leaves and avoid those that are wilted or starting to yellow.

Offline 1greenman

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Healthy Family Variety Channel
Re: Daikon greens
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »
I may have missed the question.

So, can you eat them? Yes.  The younger, the better.

They are pretty spicy, like wasabi, especially after heat has set in in your area.  In a salad it is good to mix in lots of lettuce and 'sweeter' greens. 

Or cook them up 'southern like', like collard/mustard greens.

Online r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 06:53:41 PM »
WASABI???  WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD THIS BEFORE

AWESOME!!!! 8)

I need to start growing them.

Offline loodean

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 06:36:33 AM »
Most people in the South eat turnip greens all the time.  The great opera star Leontyne Price considers turnip greens her favorite food. There is very little difference between turnip greens, mustard greens, or daikon.  Maybe I'm missing something, but my mustard greens lose all their spiciness after cooking.  I had a mess 'o greens last night for dinner with all kinds of with brasscia leaves: mustard, turnips, radishes, daikons, kale, outer cabbage leaves.  This is a great way to cook older, tougher leaves. The key is to saute them in bacon or sausage fat with onions, then let them simmer for 2 hours in chicken stock.  I usually throw in a dried chili pepper and a few turnips, daikons, or older radishes as well.   If I'm feeling really ambitious I'll put in some little dumplings during the last 20 minutes. It gets better the next day.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »
 I grew some spigarello and I ate it with eggs and it was really good ..

I grew turnip greens once, but I wasn't sure I liked them as much ..

I have so many different similar things coming up now however that I am no longer certain which is which anymore .. It all looks like big mustard/daikon/spigarello with yellow flowers

I have alot of spinach coming right now and my mother really likes that. I saw a woodchuck about 10 days ago and chased him out in the back woods. They never seem to go far and head straight for their hole. I put the garden hose down in the hole and ran the water for 10 minutes. I have not seen him back thus far ..

I am trying to grow swiss chard, romaine, black garbanzo beans, onions, squash, fava beans, tomatoes