Author Topic: why would you need to "bug out?"  (Read 21369 times)

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bashing the bush all over WA.
Re: why would you need to "bug out?"
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2016, 11:32:03 PM »
I need to get a GHB together, and get it *in* the pickup, somewhere. Maybe a couple of slim bags, and put them under the seat

My GHB used to be a stupid big rucksack, but I've now boiled it down to a little ex east German haversack that covers everything i would realistically need in the event of a non specific fuck up that doesn't involve zombies, emp's, super volcanoes, black helicopters, north Korean paratroopers or Indonesian special forces... ;D

Mainly food (mainstay bars), water (lots of water), the basic emergency tools/equipment and a first aid kit.

Weighs in at about 2 kilos, not including water.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2016, 12:17:57 AM »
who has TP in their BOB/GHB?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2016, 02:51:15 AM »

You would likely have used TP first,before bugging out... :stop: :spit:

endurance

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2016, 04:20:34 AM »
My GHB is also my general car kit with all the things I wish I had over the years and gradually added, so TP, Deet, sunscreen, cork screw, bottle opener, plastic wine glasses, baseball cap, swim suit, baby wipes, headlamps, toothbrush and toothpaste, tweezers, Imodium, pseudofed, ibuprofen, earbuds with microphone, gloves, rain jacket, and a half-dozen other things that aren't necessarily related to survival and would probably get culled if I really did have to hike with it are in there.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2016, 08:40:10 AM »
My GHB used to be a stupid big rucksack, but I've now boiled it down to a little ex east German haversack that covers everything i would realistically need in the event of a non specific fuck up that doesn't involve zombies, emp's, super volcanoes, black helicopters, north Korean paratroopers or Indonesian special forces... ;D

Mainly food (mainstay bars), water (lots of water), the basic emergency tools/equipment and a first aid kit.

Weighs in at about 2 kilos, not including water.

:rofl:

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2016, 11:00:03 AM »
My GHB is also my general car kit with all the things I wish I had over the years and gradually added, so TP, Deet, sunscreen, cork screw, bottle opener, plastic wine glasses, baseball cap, swim suit, baby wipes, headlamps, toothbrush and toothpaste, tweezers, Imodium, pseudofed, ibuprofen, earbuds with microphone, gloves, rain jacket, and a half-dozen other things that aren't necessarily related to survival and would probably get culled if I really did have to hike with it are in there.

There are still ALIENS to worry about...but I know they taste like chicken and there is no limit... 8)

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2016, 01:21:11 PM »
You would be surprised how much you can get under the seat if you find the right sized bag.  I carried a full tool kit under one seat and a ghb under the other. 

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »
There are still ALIENS to worry about...but I know they taste like chicken and there is no limit... 8)

Almost everything unusual tastes like chicken  :D

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2016, 08:09:37 PM »
Rabbit used to taste like chicken... ;D

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2016, 08:26:46 PM »
Aliens taste like chicken alright... if the chicken's been cooked down in Thai curry sauce.

Well, it's what I heard.  Er, read.  On the interwebz.  y'know, just sayn'

Offline XtvvmEb

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2017, 02:48:34 PM »
It is really remarkable to see so many people experiencing hardcore bugout situations in the Houston floods. Just saw a woman walking down the middle of the interstate, trying to escape on foot. Wow.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2017, 03:12:50 PM »
Just had some normiest of normal on the Facebooks mention evacuation and how to be ready for it.  I offered some common sense tips.  Crazy times...preppers and Colbert watching liberals...living together...mass hysteria.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2017, 05:16:12 PM »
It is really remarkable to see so many people experiencing hardcore bugout situations in the Houston floods. Just saw a woman walking down the middle of the interstate, trying to escape on foot. Wow.

This is why I watch disasters when I can and file it away for future reference.  Haiti. Earthquakes. Fukushima. Homs. Euromaiden. What are people doing? What they prepped? What was their strategy?. How are they bugging out? What did they screw up on, whether from being a dolt, or just unluck of the draw? What did the natural disaster do? How did it actually? Could anyone have done something different?

Cedar

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2017, 07:19:50 PM »
     I would think that many in Texas are being forced by the changing circumstances to "bug out". I guess if I was in that area and saw what was coming, I'd plan a little vacation inland and up hill. I wouldn't wait for the official order to evacuate, which never came. Although I now understand that some areas are be under mandatory evacuation now because of the need to open the floodgates on two decrepit reservoirs, built in the 1940's, that will drain through previously unflooded areas. Most of the evacuations now seem to be by boat. Lots of images of elderly or infirm folks who are in a world of hurt. I guess the younger, more able people have gotten out on their own, or at least aren't newsworthy.
     The Houston Convention Center is at near capacity, at least for occupancy. I haven't seen anything about how well they are supplied. That's about 5,000 people in shelter with another expected 30,000 yet to come (in the near term). They seem to have literally only the clothes on their backs.
     So what does this tell us about "bugging out"? First you must stay informed and aware of what's happening. If it looks like it could all go South, and even if you think you might be in the clear, you don't want to be at the end of line getting out of Dodge. Even if the authorities say to stay put (which I initially agreed with in this case) you could do worse than to pack a few things and take a drive to a safer are. I know they were trying to avoid a massive eight lane grid lock panic exit, with cars out of gas and overheating in 100 degree heat like the last mandatory evacuation attempt; leaving people trapped on the highway to face the full force of the storm. However, leaving a day or two earlier could have put you inland and uphill ahead of any traffic crush.
     If at all possible, you don't want to wind up in a public shelter. I'm sure everyone on this forum knows the horrors of masses of humanity, in shock, packed into overcrowded facilities with inadequate sanitation and supplies (think Katrina). Where do you go? Outside of the "danger zone" there will be county, city, state, and Federal campgrounds. There may even be commercial accommodations if you get out fast and far enough. If you don't have relatives in a "safe" area (maybe even if you do), you should have packed what you need to set up a basic campsite. Anticipate and stay ahead of the situation.
     You have all of the classic "Prepper" supplies, prepacked and ready to go, don't you. That's why you didn't have to face the panicked crowds cleaning out the grocery and hardware stores. If you don't have adequate supplies to meet your needs for weeks or months now, it's probably too late when the SHTF. You don't want to be the last in line at the supermarket, or all you will find is shoe polish and cat food (which isn't bad, actually). Being prepared to "bug out" is also being prepared to "bug in". You need to be flexible to meet changing conditions. You had better have a plan "B" or even "C" if it happens that you can't stay where you are, due to underestimating the situation. Estimate your safety on the side of caution. Anticipate.
     They say that now people, in some flooded areas are rushing the rescue boats. There was a brief, incomplete report of shooting (CNN). Once tens of thousands of folks realize that they will have little or nothing to return to, they have lost everything, they don't have insurance that covers this type of event, there could be no electricity or air conditioning (in the Deep South), they have no housing on the horizon, most of the familiar "comforts" of daily life are gone and will be a long time returning, etc. etc., things could turn really ugly. I for one would not want to be there when they do (hopefully I'm over estimating how much a Katrina like situation this could be, but the news says this is a much worse, 1000 year disaster).
     Bugging out to avoid panic and it's violence seems very reasonable to me. Many of those rescued who were interviewed said that they wished they had left. Hindsight is always 20/20; foresight is more valuable.   

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2017, 07:50:20 PM »
I found out today, that my daughter's best friend, who moved with her family to Houston area last June, is back in Oregon this week. Her dad is a bit of a Prepper I am guessing from little talks we have had, so I am interested to see if he bugged his family back here ahead of the storm or what, since they got here a bit over a week ago.

Cedar

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2017, 09:59:35 PM »

Weird to see this again as I just added compressed towels from amazon to my bag after seeing this video a few weeks ago:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dP9U7cuzpuY

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2017, 11:44:55 PM »
 8)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2017, 07:27:52 AM »

I do. In a quart ziplock. 2-6 rolls on the truck, depending on if my 'job box' is in the back or not.

Reevaluating why SP and I would have to BO:
- high winds
- extreme cold weather
- recently did BO for extreme hot weather
- wildfire

Cedar

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2017, 07:35:12 AM »
No TP in GHB yet, as we are still putting a bag together. We need to get that done, then match a bag for the truck.

Those TP pills iam4 posted look like the cats meow. Spendy, but don't take up much room.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2017, 08:06:13 AM »
     Leaving or staying? One of the concerns that has not reared it's ugly head yet, is lack of working sanitation. We've all heard that "you can go three days without water, three weeks without food", but how many times a day do you need to "go to the bathroom"? I don't now if the toilets are still working at the Houston Convention Center or if the Houston sewage treatment infrastructure is above ground and still working, but I suspect there to be human waste disposal issues soon (think sewage flowing out of restrooms of the New Orleans Superdome during Katrina). Another reason to avoid large shelters if possible.
     The floodwaters themselves are by now a toxic soup. In a radio interview, a farm wife said that they could see their pigs, cattle and horses drowning or starving. Think dead animals, fuel, oil, chemicals, sewage and God knows what mixed in with the flood water. Got a cut or scrape exposed to that, and you could be looking at a serious infection. You want to be someplace where you aren't exposed to that and if you do get soaked, you want to shower off as soon as possible. You don't want to be in "Dodge" with a serious infection or disease (think cholera).
     On this mornings news, they said that the Convention Center, capacity 5,000, now has in excess of 9,000 people. They only have cots (as of now) for 5,000. More rescued are expected and someone stated that no one will be turned away. I guess food for 20,000 is on it's way. So why don't you want to be in a shelter?
     Think how fast a cold can spread through a crowded, stressed out, tightly packed population. Think of that group with nothing to do (no T.V., video games, books, etc.) except sit and worry. Think of children and adults with ADHd and no meds. Think of those addicted (drugs, cigarettes, booze) who can't get a fix and now have to go cold turkey in the worst of situations. How about those unfortunate to need daily medications and can't get them or who have lost medical records or don't even know what they are supposed to be on. Think of those who may be violent and will prey on others.
     I'd rather be camped out on a dry patch (or better yet with friends or relatives), far from the urban area (or whatever danger), with the supplies I had packed in my truck, until things had settled down a little because I saw what could be coming.
     If the idea of leaving home, admittedly a last ditch option, can't work because of a fast moving or unforeseen "disaster", the supplies needed to "bug out" can still be used to "bug in". It gives you more options. If you live in a flood plain or area that could even possibly flood, do you keep you supplies on a second floor? Most of us keep our stuff in the basement or garage. Is that the best place, given your location? One problem with standby generators in commercial, urban buildings is that either they are in a basement, or their fuel is stored where it can get infiltrated with flood water. Where you store supplies is as important as what you store.
      How you store things matters too. Loose racks of canned good can't be easily moved. Large containers of heavy items may not be easy to load up if you have to get out. Do you have "bug out" bags, graduated in size and manageable weight that you can grab and go? So many of those in Texas that are wading through the flooded streets seem to have, if anything, only a garbage bag loaded with stuff. Think how much better off they'd be, no matter where they ended up if each had a pack with food, a liter or two of water, the ability to heat water and a good filter, flashlights and batteries, basic first aid and all medications, including medical records (and copies of all personal documents, both paper and digital), dry clothing and sleeping gear for the climate and a shelter system of some sort and maybe a book or deck of cards; you know what I'm talking about.
     Bugging out is just another option to consider; whether it's the best for you depends on the situation. If you don't prepare yourself that option, then you better be darn sure that staying put, come "Hell or high water" is the only thing that you will be prepared to do.

[size=78%]       [/size]

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2017, 08:11:14 AM »
Purse sized packets of tissue will do if you dont have room for a full roll of TP, or just roll some off a roll, the amount you anticipate needing. This is for GHB -- get home bag or stuck in the car bag where space can be extremely limited and the bag is for a short time. BOB should have a full roll. I often have a roll in the truck or car, just in a ziplock in the trunk ( or behind the seat in the truck) This can end up being needed just when picnicing or camping or other normal activities that end up with no TP. Last goat show my dd attended a couple years ago, there was no TP in the ladies room at the fairgrounds, so it was good for manyof us that I was able to put a roll there.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2017, 08:19:04 AM »
  Some situations may force one to leave,even with no planned place to go. I have a nearby BOL with everything I might need ,and then some....but I also have TWO ALTERNATE BUG TO places as one can't always go in the planned direction. I 'share' the 'bug to alternates' with the same people as I have room should they need to go away from their homes for a time ...or just need a place to eat and shower. I also have further out places that I have option to stay ,depending on circumstances.  The trick is to have a plan and be packed (my hospital bag with clothes,shoes,and laptop/Ham radio) will provide and is always ready as I don't get to plan...the bag is a comfort to know it is ready. Plan ahead to save panic.

For those who use TP (I use plastic) I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071CL3KZN/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I184T5AF058BGL&colid=21UV0BYV3WTZU

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »
      How you store things matters too. Loose racks of canned good can't be easily moved. Large containers of heavy items may not be easy to load up if you have to get out. Do you have "bug out" bags, graduated in size and manageable weight that you can grab and go?

this is why I try to keep levels of my preps ready to go. And exercised with. i.e in my kitchen I have a plastic bin with pastry utensils. I will be using it to put non perishable food in it (cans mostly), I have practiced filling it, and i have taken a pic of it how it packs.
Same thing with clothes. i have a very large travel bag and I know what to put in it,

bcksknr, you are correct in your observations. we are getting carried away with this grab-and-go-now! 72hr BOB thing, while it is only applicable to house fires and earthquakes. The rest of the disaster and emergencies allow you more preparation time than a situation conscious person could use.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2017, 11:48:20 AM »
Weird to see this again as I just added compressed towels from amazon to my bag after seeing this video a few weeks ago:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dP9U7cuzpuY

I looked into these because of your post.

Has anyone, <cough>, actually used these or otherwise tested them out?

I think I'm going to add a batch to my next Amazon order. . .see if they're, um. . .worthy.

The Professor

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
...skid worthy?......

Better than sticks and leaves,but I always wear two pairs of socks......just in case.
Don't laugh,I know many who made it home with just one sock.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2017, 07:32:40 AM »
     For personal hygiene, "wet wipes" work pretty well. they can serve as a temporary "shower" where water is scarce and they are antibacterial. They are a welcome item for troops in the Mideast. I have them in all of my kits. The problem is that once used, especially as a "butt wipe", they are discarded. You will run out eventually. If possible, you want to have durable and reuseable items in your kit.
     I also have a cloth wash and two "kitchen" sponges in each kit. The washcloth is for personal hygiene and can be rinsed out and used over and over (assuming there is water to do so). I have a white one so that when I wash it out, I will see that it is clean. The orange sponge is also for hygiene. The other, blue sponge is for washing utensils and containers. Needless to say, they are in separate Ziplocs and "never the twain shall meet". The ancient Romans shared sponges attached to sticks for "wipes" at their public toilets. Some poor guy got paid a few coins to rinse them out in a bucket, before reuse by the next customer.
     "Nuf said. More on topic, if you have been a Prepper or Survivalist for any length of time, you know that two of the most important skills are flexibility and adaptability. Stay or go; you must be prepared to do either, depending on the circumstances. To limit yourself to only one option is foolish. It's all about using options, that you have thought out and planned for, to stay safe. "If you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail", but what if you are faced with a screw or a bolt.
     You don't have to be overwhelmed with different scenarios; pick the most likely to affect you and prep for that. We don't get hurricanes, but a blizzard with cold and possible power outages is definitely possible. So I have a wood stove, but not a liferaft (although I do have a fishing boat). There are many times when preps will "overlap" for a variety of events. If you prep for one disaster, those items may also serve for another.
     My home is my refuge. It has everything I need for an extended period of time. I and my family will stay there, no matter what, until it becomes unsafe to do so and it is obvious that we must go somewhere else. The bug out supplies that we have are meant to give us a scaled down version of the safety and comfort that our home once did. A person who doesn't plan for evacuation will soon become a suffering refugee. As we have seen all to often, outside agencies become quickly overwhelmed during a disaster and it's up to the individual to plan for the safety of themselves and their loved ones.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2017, 03:31:34 PM »
I looked into these because of your post.

Has anyone, <cough>, actually used these or otherwise tested them out?

I think I'm going to add a batch to my next Amazon order. . .see if they're, um. . .worthy.

The Professor

I don't remember if I bought them or they were thrown in as a freebie on an order, but I have them.  They are tougher than normal paper towels, more like those industrial disposable towels.  I have them in a small pill bottle, primarily for sponge baths.  TP would be second use for the same towel. 

I still carry regular TP.  And a stack of napkins from a fast food joint. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2017, 04:01:03 PM »

For those who use TP (I use plastic) I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071CL3KZN/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I184T5AF058BGL&colid=21UV0BYV3WTZU

Thanks. I added those to my want list, along with the tp pills

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2017, 06:44:15 PM »
  I use some COTTONELLE FRESH CARE (baby wipes) for personal hygiene at times as they are bio degradable and smell pretty good too.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2017, 10:31:38 PM »
Not cottonelle, but we do to. Kept them in the truck when I drove 30 states pulling a reefer. Handy to wash your face of a morning if you weren't at a rest area or truck stop.