Selecting and Understanding Bullet Types for Hunting, Practice and Tactical Use
71 (4.3%)
Aquiculture for Protein Production
140 (8.5%)
Your First Year on a New Homested - Taking Actions without Regretting Them
285 (17.4%)
Eating like a king on an Below Average Income
277 (16.9%)
How to Get Started with Bitcoin - Setting Up Accounts, Sending, Receiving, etc.
182 (11.1%)
Building Resilient Children is a World of Wusses
196 (12%)
The 12 Planks of Modern Survivalism - A Revisit 8 Years After I First Created Them
200 (12.2%)
Four Years of Flux - The Rapid Changes Between Now and 2020
288 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 459

Voting closed: June 01, 2016, 04:32:17 PM

Author Topic: Choose the Tuesday Shows for June 7, 14, 21, 28  (Read 10504 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Choose the Tuesday Shows for June 7, 14, 21, 28
« on: May 17, 2016, 04:32:17 PM »
Keep the suggestions coming a few from last month were included here.  Sorry not to do the "passive income" suggestion though it came from a lot of folks.  I am not the best person to teach that, I do have some but not a lot, it would be a pretty short show.  Perhaps a show next month on stacking income streams, I am pretty good at that, but just tell me what you want folks and I will do my best. 
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline urban_dweller

• Prepper
    • Liberty Garden...a place to plant seeds
Re: Choose the Tuesday Shows for June 7, 14, 21, 28
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 04:44:25 PM »
First to vote :P

Offline josey124

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 05:19:12 PM »
Thanks Jack. Love the podcast and what you do.

Maybe something on how to keep motivated when starting a business. I am very frustrated with some stupid legal stuff and esp. insurance right now. I don't know how long I can keep fighting.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 05:30:11 PM »
more than 4 good ones....
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 05:43:16 PM »
I voted for four, but if I had to pick just one it would be "Four years of flux."

I like all of the topics though, and June's going to be a good month anyway this vote goes.  Thanks for putting this poll up Jack.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline SuburbanGardener

• Survivor
  • Engineering a sustainable lifestyle
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 06:04:56 PM »
Great topic selection as always Jack.  So far, 3 of my 4 are on top, and the 4th place topic is what I would have selected if you'd given us 5 choices.  Looking forward to June.
When the SHTF,
life is going to change.
Are you ready?

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 07:54:42 PM »
Suggestions:

Off-Grid Homekeeping 101.
How activities performed and materials produced on the homestead can be put to use in the home. Perhaps this isn't a politically correct thing to say, but I've subconsciously viewed domestic chores as more a feminine concern. Never concerned myself with it. Now as an adult I'm mystified by some seemingly common sense solutions. A friend recently repaired my favorite work shirt. I'd have thrown it out and bought a new one, but for under $5, she made a $50 shirt like new. It never occurred to me that buttons could be replaced or the shirt could be re-dyed to cover up stains. In hindsight I felt like a bit of an idiot, and started doing some research on the topic. I've found an assortment of plants and preparations to make effective cleaning supplies, soap making, how to properly stack firewood so it doesn't fall over or take up too much room, how to organize tools effeciently etc. These are simple tasks, but we take for granted how simple they are and don't put much thought into "is this the best way to do it". I've also found that many of the places which offer these tips and techniques don't really account for the homesteading lifestyle. How do you remove a stain that's a mix of grass, blood, sweat, tar, dirt, manure, charcoal and tree sap? If I'm outside for 10 minutes really working, I'll have all of those. I've re-fitted a hose spigot on the back of my house and converted it into an outdoor shower stall, just so I don't track all that crap inside, with a fresh change of clothes in a rubbermaid bin in the stall, and keep my outside clothes outside, lol. I think there are some unexamined aspects of this lifestyle that a lot of people are just trying to figure out as they go. Even if it seems like the solutions are obvious, they may still be worth sharing.

Technology for homesteaders
I think there's some high-tech tools which are really beneficial to the homesteader.
• The smartphone - the most essential tool for me. If I see a new garden pest, I can snap a photo and share online for an identification, or identify native plants, the mapping apps, communications apps etc. So many uses.
• "Automatic" - Smart-car dongle which gives you feedback on your vehicle's performance and interprets error codes on your phone.
• IoT switches. The ability to control devices remotely and programmatically is huge. Livestock heating that only comes on when the weather drops below a certain temperature, or lighting that turns off at sunrise, even when sunrise is different every day. Maximum duration of light, but using only the minimal amount of power.
• Automated livestock feeders and waterers.
• Drip Irrigation and sprinkler systems.
• Hydroponics, Aquaponics and aeroponics.
... The list keeps going.
There's a lot of technology out there which can save a small homestead a ton of time, money, and just make life easier.

Yet another 10 must-have garden plants
The growing season is just starting in the North and in full swing in the South. A lot of people are looking at their gardens and looking for interesting, useful things to plant. There's so many useful plants out there, we could always use another show on the topic.

More on Fishing for Beginners.
I've been fishing a few times, but never seriously as a hobby. However, I volunteered for the state after Hurricane Sandy, and (a few years later, lol) was given a life-time fishing license in the state for my efforts. A nice, unexpected bonus. But now that I have it, it would be great to get a run-down on the basics. I recall a couple of videos you did on the topic a few years back, and would love to see more of that.

A recap of previous shows
I recently listened to one of the early episodes which dealt heavily with the then deteriorating state of the city of Detroit, half-million dollar homes abandoned, failing infrastructure and city services, etc. Sounds
like you alluded to that in today's show. Years later, some of your predictions were dead on. There are a lot of the early episodes where a retrospective look could be interesting.
A good government may, indeed, redress the grievances of an injured people; but a strong people can alone build up a great nation. - Thomas Francis Meagher

Offline gusty1

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 09:13:49 PM »
Man some tough choices if I had a fifth vote I would have added the Aquaculture for protein but I'm happy with the subjects I picked and hope they make it as show topics :)

Offline DWESmith

• Prepper
  • GSD at my own pace.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 11:38:20 PM »
These are all awesome topics! It was hard to pick the 4th choice.
"Keep Calm and Fish On!"

Offline rrbrussell

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 01:37:13 AM »
 My first choice is the bullet types. Other than the basic distinctions I haven't seen a really good discussion on the different bullet types for large and small game that didn't sound like a commercial from some bullet manufacturer. Actually, most of the overviews were in fact material from bullet manufacturers.

Offline Flashback Farms

• Fledgling Prepper
  • I'm Matt from "Flashback Farms" in Virginia.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 08:03:53 AM »
Man what's shaking everybody. What a great list, it was hard to narrow it down to four. I do have a question, and I think it would make a fantastic show. Over the last couple of years I've been really interested in the transformation from Libertarian to Anarchy. I've searched past shows and although Jack touches on the subject many times I couldn't find one specifically dedicated to Anarchy. How Jack defines it, his ideas about it and digging in deeper and explaining in detail the change from Libertarian to Anarchy.  I think it would make a fantastic complete show. Anarchy is a pretty confusing term when I talk to people about it, but I like to describe myself as a  "Liberty Minded Anarchist". So can a brother get a show titled "Liberty Minded Anarchy?"

Is there a past TSP show focused on Anarchy?
Matt
Flashback Farms

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 09:19:10 AM »
I'd like to hear more about soil enrichment, small scale, for a vegetable garden.   How do we turn a clay like soil or sandy soil into something dark/rich and ready for years of vegetable gardening....not the typical permaculture stuff, but more on the lines of a back yard urban veggie garden.

It would be cool to hear more about  CCW topics, need for insurance, reciprocity, situational awareness, legal issues, etc etc.   Massad Ayoob touched on this in your interview with him...maybe interview someone from one of the CCW organizations?

I dunno how well this would translate into an audio podcast, but at Mother Earth News Fair last year a fellow talked about revamping old tools (axe heads in particular).   I'd like to have one of those old school reel mowers.   Maybe something along those lines,   "old tools, new users"?

I know you "go back to basics" now and then, but I enjoy hearing updated short shows on BOB's, new items that are on the market for that.   Food and bucket storage tips.  Old school prepper topics.

Knives, a show all about knives, blade shapes and uses, sharpening, types of metals, etc etc.   Big knives, little knives, pocket, belt, lock blades, fixed blades.....

--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline carbon

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
    • The Resilient Child Book Project
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 09:37:06 AM »
Tried to vote 2x for Four years of flux but something was wrong with my keyboard.
Please support my children's book on resilience and preparedness at

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1882628049/the-resilient-joneses-stop-the-flood

I am working on a children's book on self-reliance  as part of my walk to freedom. Please check it out at:
www.theresilientchildbookproject.wordpress.com

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 09:58:41 AM »
I'd like to hear more about soil enrichment, small scale, for a vegetable garden.   How do we turn a clay like soil or sandy soil into something dark/rich and ready for years of vegetable gardening....not the typical permaculture stuff, but more on the lines of a back yard urban veggie garden.

That's simple, compost & mulch. That's it. You might want to get into soil testing for minerals, but few people need to correct any extreme deficiency or contamination, they simply need to use good compost. Gardeners of any scale build their soil over years, even decades using just compost and mulch.

Put organic waste in pile... turn pile frequently until waste becomes compost, spread on the garden, cover with straw or wood shavings. Do this every year in as large a scale as you can manage. Don't buy bagged soil, it's all crap. This will work for clay and sand soils. There is a lot of underlying chemistry and biology to this, but 99% of what you need to know is how to make compost in general. If you can do that, there's not little need for the average person to concern themselves with the rest.

Geoff Lawton has one of the most simple and effetcive methods described in detail: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Geoff+Lawton+18+day+Compost
On a smaller scale, a 4x4x4' pile of grass clippings and fall leaves is sufficient for a few raised beds. The secret is to keep turning the pile.
A good government may, indeed, redress the grievances of an injured people; but a strong people can alone build up a great nation. - Thomas Francis Meagher

Offline PiPPiNiZED

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 10:20:21 AM »
I've been saving a few bucks in one acct to buy a bitcoin or two. A show on the how to would be great.

Offline msparks

• Survivor
    • Michael Sparks, Journey to success
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 12:07:52 PM »
I've been saving a few bucks in one acct to buy a bitcoin or two. A show on the how to would be great.

I've been waiting on a show like that. I google how to get started then get scared and confused (What if I get scammed or ripped off, how does this work again?) Hope that one makes it.
It's common sense folks

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »
I am in the process of just waiting for the bank checks and we are breaking ground

Building Resilient Children is a World of Wusses
I have kids and they are not wusses, but what more can I do. They are 7,5, and almost 4. I am sure there are things I and my wife are missing as parents.

The 12 Planks of Modern Survivalism - A Revisit 8 Years After I First Created Them
Basics, Basics, Basics.... you can not be good enough at those.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 05:13:26 PM »
Another Suggestion:

Viral Thought
You see this on social networks a lot. One very vocal person in a group forms an opinion (or regurgitates someone else's opinion) to their friends and family. In this semi-public/semi-private forum, people habitually "like" comments, even if they don't agree with them, just to shut the person up or to avoid conflict which would play out openly amongst everyone they know. This artificially bolsters the apparent support for the idea, which further entices many people to passively get on board with it and the idea spreads into a type of group-think. It's not unlike how mobs form, how riots begin... it's contagious thought devoid of rationality.

I think you would have some unique perspectives on this issue. Being at the forefront of the modern survival movement, a large figure in Permaculture (which is still very much a grass-roots movement), and building communities and businesses based on ideologies, largely through social media. You've in some ways been the beneficiary of this phenomenon (if only in getting people to listen to an idea they otherwise might not have), but have also battled this with trolls and other less friendly groups online who exploit this principal to create discord. I know it's a question best suited for a sociologist, but I think they lack the first-hand experience to offer meaningful insight. A non-expert could be much more valuable in that regard.

I think this is a valid topic because it can extend into many of the other topics covered. "How do you talk to your friends and family about prepping?", Anything political, the community standards issues faced by those trying to repeal ordinances on their own property. Mob mentality in a SHTF scenario. I can win over an individual through reason, but how do you move the minds of a group that operates outside of rationality? You have the marketing background and proven ability to do this.

Not that I expect a "how-to" show, but some general thoughts on the topic, perhaps a few examples you've experienced and what your take on them was. It's an unconventional topic, but one you might find yourself referring people back to in the future.

Offline CharlieDake

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Lot of great options.
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 05:34:06 PM »
Lot of great shows coming up in June looks like!  Thanks as always for all the hard work; I look forward to hearing any of these (one exception on content but I bet it more than makes up for it on auxiliary info) in June.

Offline damagedwear

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 06:32:07 AM »
Just starting to build a new homestead in my move to freedom from Jersey City NJ to central PA!

Offline Burntfinger

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 08:08:38 AM »
The more about making resilient kids the better!

Offline JakeR

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »
How about something a little different, like how to apply permaculture principles to relationships, business, personal, familial etc.

Offline Da Li

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
I'm in Month Two of Year One on the new homestead so...yeah.
Also, went with eating well on a below avg income...see above re: new homestead.

Someone above mentioned doing a similarly themed show, but I'd like to hear one covering all the "Jack was Right's" that we can come up with... perhaps we need a special thread for submitting a "Jack was Right" moment? Could require Ep# and time stamp so you can pull the audio... Maybe don't even add new commentary, just play the clips and then at the end refer to a few recent shows predicting more upcoming issues in our nation. Just a thought...not sure how to execute it...

Also!!
I missed the first listener call-in anniversary show a few years ago... Maybe we could have another mega-sode of testimonials for our upcoming 8th?

-- Da Li

Sometimes the best thing that can happen is for your phone to die....

Offline royramey

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 08:12:49 PM »
Regarding a show on bitcoin, please include how to set it up as untrackable by the government.  Tell us how to set it up to hide our money going into or through a wallet or whatever the method.  Then is there a way to convert back and not be traceable?  Thank you.

Offline jbritely

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 10:23:07 AM »
I'd like to see an update on Elija Springs and similar projects for the future
A little government goes a long way.

Offline clayfarmer

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 10:32:37 AM »
Jack, here's a show topic suggestion - Using permaculture principles when designing and managing hunting ground.  Just thinking about how to use the stuff I've learned from your show to improve a property for hunting. 
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark"

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 11:37:38 AM »
Regarding a show on bitcoin, please include how to set it up as untrackable by the government.  Tell us how to set it up to hide our money going into or through a wallet or whatever the method.  Then is there a way to convert back and not be traceable?  Thank you.

BitCoin is not untraceable. Every transaction ever conducted via BitCoin is part of the blockchain and available to anyone. It can always be traced.
The reason it's favored by those looking to be undetected:

• Laws regarding financial transactions, particularly over across national lines are targeted primarily at banks. Bitcoin has no central authority to comply with (or even be relevant to) many of the existing laws with regard to seizing funds, blocking payments between individuals, or surrendering records. It'll be a good while before the law catches up with the technology.

• It's still largely uncharted waters for law enforcement, tax investigators etc. This is rapidly changing, they're learning fast, but there is still ignorance of the system in sufficient amounts to be exploited. Until everyone's up to speed on it, you're working in a government blindspot.

• Brokers (selling BitCoin for cash) are largely overseas, in countries that have high privacy protections and keep very few records. Kinda like having a swiss bank account, people can make all the inquiries they want, but will be told to F* off if they want customer info. This all depends on which exchange you buy bitcoins from (mining them is no longer viable for most people). Do not assume you have any privacy, or that claims of privacy by one company are factual. A lot of companies offer assurances of privacy, but fold like a cheap card table if authorities in their country apply any pressure. Look for a long track record, no significant record keeping, and in a country where the laws favor privacy. Even then, most people would advise against using a single company for the purchase of bitcoins.

BitCoin is better suited presently to disguise the source of income, but not the best method of hiding or protecting money you already have. You'd be far better off investing in tangible assets. Buy a case of wine (good wine), and it's value will increase at a rate higher than any interest rates you're likely to get. As a consumable item, if you "forgot" to declare a sale, for all anyone else knows, you just drank that bottle. Hide wealth in physical assets with unconventional or difficult to quantify values. A shelf in your basement could be worth $2,000 or $2,000,000, and nobody knows how much exactly except you, and anything sitting on that shelf is income neutral until sold.  If you were to sell the wine for a profit, that's where you might consider BitCoin (although cash is probably still easier in this case).

I prefer lawfully passive tax evasion, lol. I'll grow a few apple trees in my yard. Looking at my root cellar inventory, I used 15 lbs of fresh apples, 9 cans of apple sauce, 24 gallons of cider (fermented), and 2 quarts of apple jack in the last year.
At $1/lb and 8% sales tax, I saved $1.20 on taxes in fresh apples.
$3 a jar for apple sauce, that's $2.16
Hard Cider (42x 6-packs worth) at $9.99 each is $34.09 in sales tax and $12.60 in bottle deposits
Apple Jack is $18/qt, $2.88

So... by not buying these goods, I saved $52.93 this year in taxes unpaid. That's completely ignoring the cost of the actual food, which is hundreds of dollars in savings, and that cost is inflated by the taxes paid by producers, distributors, retailers and all support industries... and that's just for apples, lol. Once you start to factor in all the ways in which you pay taxes, and how easy it is to avoid many of them, BitCoin (for the average person or small business at least) is a very minor part of the equation.

My advice, if you're going to use bitcoin, accept it as a type of payment for products or services, but don't convert cash to bitcoin.

Offline Captain Obvious

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 08:50:55 AM »
First post, love the show!

I like how you point out people don't need 20+ acres when starting a homestead.  A show on what to look out for that first year would be fantastic.  I realize many people have already made the jump to homestead but quite a few of us probably are still in the city/suburbs.  Even the people who have already made the jump could stand to benefit from a show like this.

Eating like a king on an Below Average Income
Everyone wants to save money!  One thing I've noticed is that even though I've increased the size of our garden, that does not mean my family of 5 is eating more food from it.  I doubled the number of lettuce plants, for instance, but I'm the only one that will voluntarily eat homegrown salads (my wife buys salad mix at the store, I still don't understand the aversion to eating awesome food that I'm growing).  The entire family loves celery and carrots, so I will be planting more of that in the future.  I'd absolutely love to hear what ideas you have for eating like a king without spending a ton of money.

I'm fairly new to the show and while I could go back and find previous shows where you've talked about this it would be nice to get the most current thinking on this topic.

Four Years of Flux - The Rapid Changes Between Now and 2020
I'm wondering if you will be discussing technology or politics, or what.  This show could go in any direction and sounds interesting.
“Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.”

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 10:03:56 AM »
Liberty and Independence From a Nanny State

Cover what went into creating the constitution. As a product of government schooling, I used to think it was just a bunch of smart guys that wrote the constitution. Years later, I found there was a little more to it:

- Anti-federalists, what were they?
- Magna Carta, how did it shape the discussions?
- Why did some argue against including a bill of rights?
- What the heck was the War of Independence?
- What are the federalist papers?

I'll guess Alex Shrugged would like to contribute to. I'm only familiar with this enough to know there was more to it than a few guys debating for a few days in a convention somewhere.

Offline jimhcom

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 07:21:04 AM »
Really concerned about where we are going in the next 4 years.  Seems like things are changing fast......