Author Topic: Episode 1792 ---- What keeps you from starting starting your own business  (Read 2912 times)

Offline David S

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
As a serial entrepreneur, I'm curious as to what people feel is their biggest obstacle in starting their own business.  Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

David S 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
startup cash. extra 8 hrs in a day to do the work. i've run a small business, there's a lot of extra work you dont get paid for.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
The truth is the main reason is a lack of drive, desire and confidence.

There is always something you can do to begin the process, to get experience, etc.

Sadly most think that a business is something you start and then succeed with or fail with and that is that.  That a business is something you "set up" with funding and a building or a staff.  Most successful businesses start out as one person boot straps with very little money and a shit ton of passion.  They are also usually preceded by a few other efforts that may be don't fail but they don't really suceed either, they are learning steps, and in that struggle and learning you first figure out how to survive, then in that survival you determine how to win.

In other words it is fucking hard and most people come up with a lot of excuses because they know it is hard and don't want it to be hard. 

The saddest thing, it gets easier and easier as you go!  But since people do not get in the game they never learn that.  It is like working out when you never have, you either really want it or you don't. 

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
I would like to add to the growing list:
+1 fear of failure causing loss of income and ability to provide for the family
-  Lack of trust in ones ability to see the needs of the people (forecast)
-  Lack of trust in government not to BAN the business niche I would be working into
-  Startup space requirements exceeding available space on current property (don't even know if I am zoned to allow a home business)
-  Not enough capitol to jump in with both feet quit job and do a 60 hour a week start up. My load officer recently described the wife and I as "deptaphobic"
-  My paying job requires hours and travel schedules that do not lend them selves to any medium term planning of activities.

You asked what was keeping me from starting a business these are the big ones.  I can say that I am disgusted by the list of petty excuses.  Since I was just handed my hat on an attempt to move out of town I am even less trusting in my ability to make money in anything I attempt or choices I could make to better an investment.  I am obviously still disappointed about the world telling me that I have to stay put.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
For me the biggest stumbling block is my extreme introversion.  A business where I would have to interact with the public and "sell" wouldn't work.  So my main option would be doing something on the internet and I haven't been creative enough (yet) to come up with a viable idea...

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
...and a shit ton of passion.

Lol, I love seeing "passion" quantified in relative terms of fecal mass ;)

For me the biggest stumbling block is my extreme introversion.  A business where I would have to interact with the public and "sell" wouldn't work.  So my main option would be doing something on the internet and I haven't been creative enough (yet) to come up with a viable idea...

Same here. However, it's a different social dynamic. When you're representing a company you work for, you are socially constrained. You have to put up with a lot from other people and pretend it doesn't get to you. I withdrew from that, some would call it introversion. I opted out of social interactions because they didn't really offer me much. But when you work for yourself, you represent yourself, your ideals. It's a lot easier to connect with people, be they co-workers or just random customers. It's really a different experience.

When I was working for another company, I was routinely criticized for not going to the company "holiday party" (they were too PC to say Christmas Party, lol). I didn't join the company bowling team. I didn't invite co-workers to my home. I was labeled (and documented in my employee file) that I was anti-social. This meant that twice a year, someone would fly in from corporate for my review and talk to me about what I needed to do to better relate to my co-workers.

I would routinely have a  co-worker who came to me to vent her problems. "My boss is a____". "They expect us to do____". "This is unfair" She would prattle on endlessly about things that didn't concern me, and I refused to feign concern or offer advice, having heard what she said about the others who offered her career advice. The result of this one-sided interaction: a 4 hour meeting with a Human resources person about my lack of empathy for others.

I was there to work, I could give a shit that the boss's son just made the football team. Honestly, I didn't know he had kids. Didn't care. Caught some shit for not emailing him a congratulation... WTF?!

I was criticized as overly harsh in dismissing someone who hadn't showed up for work in 3 weeks. The "harsh" part was that I wasn't apologetic when firing him and assumed he understood why not showing up for work was bad. I didn't walk him through every mistake he made and "offer him a chance for some feedback and personal improvement". I was told I "avoided an uncomfortable but necessary conversation"... Nope, the main bullet point of that conversation was "You're fired" and he seemed to grasp the concept adequately. What they meant was I didn't coddle him, and reassure him of his value as a human being.

I was told for years that the problem was with me, that I didn't know how to interact with people. They had me pegged as a complete sociopath, when all I wanted was to do my job without distraction. The worst part was I was starting to believe them.

In my own business, I have no problems interacting with people. I just get to do it on my own terms. It's been hugely liberating. In retrospect, I don't know how I made it out of the corporate world without going postal. Everyone there was an "introvert" for fear they might say something which might offend someone. Nobody was free to speak honestly and openly with all the politically correct horseshit. If they did, they were sent to a "sensitivity coach" or fired. I was a slave, conditioned for submissiveness. It took me a while in my own business to finally let go of some of the garbage they had brainwashed me with.

That is the biggest obstacle many will have to starting a business. A lot of people need to learn to break that conditioning. So many have been brainwashed. "This is how you must act on the job, these are the things you can and cannot say, can and cannot do". Everyone is important in a company with a 90% annual attrition rate, lol. Everyone's special because everyone's the same. You almost have to re-learn how to be a real person again. Once you do let your guard down and start acting like a human being again, people want to do business with you. My only regret is not having realized this sooner.