Author Topic: What Is Your Carry Ammo and Why?  (Read 19189 times)

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
Re: What Is Your Carry Ammo and Why?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 05:21:03 PM »
I still have some 135gr bonded +P that Federal used to make. I am likely to replace that as it goes away (I don't cycle it out fast but I do cycle it out) with Critical Duty +P and standard.

I like the somewhat heavier rounds but am not fond of the 147gr subsonic as others are. I do want at least a good possibility of barrier penetration. That's about it for reasoning.

If not this I would go with a 124gr Ranger T or Gold Dot depending on what was most available.

Enterprise65

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2016, 08:58:25 PM »
10mm 180gr Rainier HP projectiles loaded just shy of max load with CFE Pistol powder in a Glock G40 MOS in an IWB holster. Just in case I'm ever attacked by Sasquatch riding a grizzly bear.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2016, 02:41:17 AM »
40 s&w 180gr hornady custom xtp hollow point, because that's what they issue me, so I also use it in my back-up for liability and court purposes. But it is good ammo.

If I am consulted on the next purchase, I would go for hornady critical duty.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2016, 10:39:39 PM »
In response to simple guys post. You make good points. But don't overlook the fact that most police officers use full duty siz pistols. Those rounds were designed for that the same rounds may or may not expand in a compact or subcompact handgun.

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2016, 11:51:47 PM »
Federal Hydra-Shok in a Gen4 G22.

PD gun, PD ammo.  I trust it on duty, why not off?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2016, 03:39:43 AM »
The 240 grain 44 special at 950 FPS does the job without the need for expansion as few handgun bullets ever expand in the real world.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 09:25:42 PM »
I agree I think .44 special is very underrated. Great Round. I'd love to see it make a resurgence like 380 has done in the past decade.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2016, 10:58:47 PM »
So found a new great ammo to tell you guys about Winchester Train and Defend that I mentioned in an earlier post for 9mm is great. After some recent shooting I found that Winchester Train and Defend .45 ACP is also great runs smooth very accurate. The practice rounds are affordable and a ballistic match to the defensive rounds.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2016, 10:07:15 PM »
You guys may like this.

It's a very comprehensive ballistics test

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:16:19 PM by 9mmMaster »

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2016, 08:06:22 AM »
It appears that along with being a gunslut I'm a bit of an ammoslut as well. After digging through a few boxes of defensive ammo, I have everything from Golden Saber, Hyrda Shok, Hornady hollow points and rubber tips, even Winchester hollow points.

They all kinda work just fine I guess. I only get picky with the J frame which gets Speer 135 (made for short barrel) and the 1911 which seems to be picky with hollow points which are too wide (it's a Kimber Goldmatch so it's a little tight).

I suppose that one load might be 3% more effective at expanding or 1 MOA closer to my sights but my gut tells me we're into diminishing returns. I'm not hating on anyone with the passion to get into the gritty details but that's not me.

There is one glittering exception. A full size .357 is (in my mind) one of the few handguns that can be adapted to different uses via ammo changes. I can go from a 125 grain personal defense to a heavier 180 grain hunting load depending on where I am. One of many reasons I love revolvers.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »
Good points.

Though I think it should be paid attention to and looked at as far as your gun, reliability, barrel length ect..
If you look at the tests some of those loads didn't expand at all!!!
They were basically FMJs

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2016, 05:16:05 PM »
That is why big handgun bullets RULE,no expansion needed and the power (and weight) to need not say you are sorry. :deadhorse:

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2016, 05:30:43 PM »
Good points.

Though I think it should be paid attention to and looked at as far as your gun, reliability, barrel length ect..
If you look at the tests some of those loads didn't expand at all!!!
They were basically FMJs

I don't put that much faith in hollow points to begin with. I like "defensive" ammo because it is (generally) loaded to tighter specs but where I live... after the round passes through a winter jacket, 2 sweatshirts, and a pair of Carhartt overalls it's basically a FMJ anyway. When I'm in the frigid time I actually use heavy hunting .357 ammo for this very reason. Something that goes thud just makes more sense. Wait...

That is why big handgun bullets RULE,no expansion needed and the power (and weight) to need not say you are sorry. :deadhorse:

Couldn't have said it better.

This is also the reason the HD shotgun gets #4 buck all summer and 00 all winter.

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2016, 09:49:58 PM »
The new Hornady XTP's have the flex tip in them to ensure expansion even through clothing and other things, in the last class I was at we shot one through a windshield to show how bullet strikes are different then where you aim through glass. The bullet did shed its jacket but the rest of it held up and expanded i found it lodged in the 6x6 we used as the target backer.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2016, 10:54:10 PM »
Those are some very valid points for sure.

I'm not criticizing the FBI test protocols. They have defiantly pushed the defensive ammo to be batter and better levels in the past few years.

With that said I don't know many people that walk around with 4 layers of blue jean denim. I would love to see some test with a carheart jacket and long johns or something  like a very heavy leather.

PS #4 buck is great round and under appreciated in my opinion.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2016, 09:11:52 PM »
So when I was a Law enforcement officer after going through the the .40 .45 stage I finally settled on the 9mm we / I used a lot of federal 9BPLE +p+
Great ammo but I didn't carry it for my CCW because it has a short barrel and I was not sure how it would do until now.

But found some shorter barrel tests that show it doing well. Great ammo very good quality been used by several major law enforcement agency's for years. I know personally from talking to federal it's rated to 40,000 psi it is +p+ so consult manual

https://youtu.be/W9iiaXoRaRY

https://youtu.be/q1Rx_Mf2PTY

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2016, 05:40:44 AM »
Freedom munitions 380 fmj staggered with their jhp in my LCP.  In my 357 LCR its the old Remington FBI load.  Found a box a few years ago at a pawn shop.  When in dangerous critter country the LCR gets Federal 357 158 grain jsp. STINGERS live in my 22LR NAA mini.

I read up a lot and every thing came down to cost, reliability and ease of finding ammo.  I got into ccw in the middle of the great ammo shortage.  I bought and tried the best available.  I pretty much stuck with what i got.  Wife carries these too so choosing ammo she can hit with was also a factor.  Found out She is a better pistol shot than me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:49:18 AM by Nate »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2016, 06:04:08 AM »
Freedom munitions 380 fmj staggered with their jhp in my LCP.  In my 357 LCR its the old Remington FBI load.  Found a box a few years ago at a pawn shop.  When in dangerous critter country the LCR gets Federal 357 158 grain jsp. STINGERS live in my 22LR NAA mini.

I read up a lot and every thing came down to cost, reliability and ease of finding ammo.  I got into ccw in the middle of the great ammo shortage.  I bought and tried the best available.  I pretty much stuck with what i got.  Wife carries these too so choosing ammo she can hit with was also a factor.  Found out She is a better pistol shot than me.

You might find the AGUILA SSS 60 grain 22 rounds are a bit more potent in the NAA mini gun .

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2016, 06:08:36 AM »
Carl,

I will look in to those.  Thanks!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2016, 06:23:25 AM »
They are a 60 grain bullet at about 850 feet per sec from the short barrel of my Walther TPH and have penetration for 'large game'.

I used to carry an NAA mini on a chain around my neck with a brass cleaning brush in the barrel holding it firmly in place,
some may call it not wise with a loaded gun pointed at my head...but I left 1 chamber empty and the brush kept from cocking the
hammer and firing till the mini was pulled from it's hiding place.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2016, 09:51:53 PM »
Some good points the only hole in the logic is defense ammo along the lines of what the police use is

designed for a full size duty pistol. If you are carrying a smaller, shorter barreled pistol then you are loosing

velocity. Sometimes those "duty rounds" will expand in a short barrel often times they don't.

Also buying defense ammo in bulk is a great idea for a lot of reasons.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2016, 10:33:14 PM »
Tried a new carry load today.
Purchased and tested Barnes Tac- XPD 9mm 115 + p Solid Copper

They did very well in the lucky gunner ammo tests with .70 inches of expansion in clothed gelatin. So I thought that I would give then a try.
Very high quality ammo 100% reliable out of Glock 26
For a +p round recoil did not feel like +p

After testing them side by side I decided to stay with my 147 gr Winchester train and defend. I love this round very accurate good recoil and shoot well in all my defensive guns.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

d3nni5

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2016, 06:50:03 AM »

I've been using the Liberty Civil Defense in my G26.   According to that Lucky Gunner site, it is about the worst option I could pick.   I've heard really good things about the ammo too.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2016, 04:10:03 PM »
Yes the new hot ammo always promises big returns but rarely delivers. Liberty defense, RIP, Ect...
You could get another good trusted HP. Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot or my fav Winchester TD 147s
And keep those Liberty Defence for your spare Glock 17 mag because they won't weigh much. 17 rounds of 147s can add up. My spare mag is the Ruger ARX in a Glock 19 mag.

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2017, 04:51:58 AM »
9mm hollow points from Hornady.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2017, 05:05:46 AM »
Today,my carry ammo is 5.7 X 28 MM for my FN Five Seven MK2