Author Topic: tspaz.com How can I do that?  (Read 6547 times)

Offline Texas1001

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
tspaz.com How can I do that?
« on: May 30, 2016, 04:10:51 PM »
So Jack has a new link TspAz.com.  This sends people to the main amazon website and he can then make commissions off of all the stuff they buy. How did he do that?  From what I can tell the Amazon Associates website you can not do that.   

I was not sure were to post this question so if it needs to be moved that is ok. 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: tspaz.com How can I do that?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 05:11:16 PM »
Okay, now you've got me curious about how that works.  It's redirecting to Amazon with a tag in the URL that (I assume) identifies Jack/TSP as the source.  Nifty trick -- I'll see if I can figure out how it's implemented.

Moving this topic to Work, Self-Employment, & Small Business The Money Board.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:53:11 PM by Mr. Bill »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »
It's a "302 Found" redirect that sends the user to:
Code: [Select]
http://www.amazon.com/?rw_useCurrentProtocol=1&tag=nimifa-20and I assume it's implemented by a line or two in an .htaccess file, but I don't know how to do that myself and can't find a comprehensible explanation online.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 06:51:53 PM »
Its called an affiliate link. Not sure how to do it though.

Offline machinal

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 07:18:30 PM »

Offline Texas1001

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 07:30:35 PM »
Yes i know about that.  But no were does it say you can make the entire amazon site your site.  It is usually just a one product.

Offline Texas1001

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 07:35:29 PM »
Does Amazon drop cookies and once you go to that link and if you leave the page it will still give you credit if they buy something else?  Dose any one Know?

Offline Texas1001

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 08:03:43 PM »
Well it looks like the cookie is only 24 hours for that product.  They do have a 90 day one but you have to click the buy button for the product you are advertising and have it in their cart.  This would not work for what jack is doing.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 08:35:08 PM »
It's a "302 Found" redirect that sends the user to:
http://www.amazon.com/?rw_useCurrentProtocol=1&tag=nimifa-20and I assume it's implemented by a line or two in an .htaccess file, but I don't know how to do that myself and can't find a comprehensible explanation online.

I found a little info.  Most likely, at the site where Jack is hosting tspaz.com, there is a line in his /public_html/.htaccess file that looks something like this:
Redirect 302 /index.html http://www.amazon.com/?rw_useCurrentProtocol=1&tag=nimifa-20I think.  Or something pretty close to that.

The other thing I found is that Redirect 302 is sorta obsolete because different browsers do slightly different things with it.  Looks like it ought to be Redirect 303 or Redirect 307.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 10:11:51 AM »
jack also setup an url redirect in DNS @ hosting-nation

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 12:54:01 PM »
jack also setup an url redirect in DNS @ hosting-nation

Ah, that's a more likely explanation for how the redirect is handled.  Duh.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
Godaddy can do domain forwarding natively, and I use it for that in several production environments. You can easily do a redirect like that on your own server, too.
To get your link, you should see the Amazon Associates SiteStripe when you go to amazon.com. Click the get link: Text, and select the Full Link option. It should look something like the below.
https://www.amazon.com/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll2&tag=theendofthe09-20&linkId=402abd9e0b32e488b6d3650a78322db3

However, this is also quite possibly against the Amazon affiliate TOS to do it the way Jack is.
http://www.icanteachmychild.com/blogger-beware-3-ways-you-could-be-breaking-amazons-affiliate-program-rules/

Offline Texas1001

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 07:16:27 AM »
So does that mean that cookies put on the person computer enables Jack to get credit for anything they buy?  It seemed to me that you only get credit for the product that you are linked to.

Offline Jesse2004

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 08:47:45 PM »
My question is can i find out on my machine what account the cookie would give credit to?  I'd like to be able to see who I'm giving credit to and not accidentally giving credit to someone else.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 08:37:41 AM »
you can look at your cookies in your browser of choice. but some sites encrypt the info so it wont make sense.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 05:10:50 PM »
The affiliate stuff isn't new, I've been doing it for years with several niche sites. It works pretty well and I'm sure with his audience he's doing great. The easiest way to get started is by blogging, creating a site dedicated to say "Easy Home Canning" You do posts every day at least, even more if you can. You can also hire people to write articles (content) for you. Then you put the affiliate links in the articles that you get from Amazon.

On the Amazon Associates (amazon page) it's the same as your normal Amazon account....there is a stripe at the top that you can quickly get the link, text, image etc really fast from any item page that your visiting.

Make sure your posts are at least 300 words to get full SEO optimization or aim to have 2-3 articles a week like that... this can be as basic as opening a recipe book, copying the recipe down adding in your creative flow, linking to said book, ingredients, tools etc.

Another method is what I call the DEAL site.... This is where you would create a site..."50% Off Baby Products" dedicated to Amazon deals. You would then go through the lightning deals etc on Amazon in the baby categories and link through these....if you have a facebook page for your site you can also do that through the stripe.

There are some ways to automate these....they usually take awhile to build an audience but you'll want to run ads targeting your audience to create a faster return ( I use FB & Google ads ). Outside of Jacks method many people who do this don't like to advertise it, for me it's an easy $500-1000 a month. I only have 2 niche sites and put up only 2-3 articles a week now....but have been tempted by the deal style as those can go viral very easily through social media.

If I really wanted to do this full time I know I could do another 12-20 sites and make $5-10K a month, using fiverr and upwork to create content.
For now I just keep them going and I focus on what I enjoy more.

Cheers!