Author Topic: You never know when....medical emergency!  (Read 5592 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
You never know when....medical emergency!
« on: April 01, 2016, 04:33:52 PM »
It has been two years ago,or a bit more. I was enjoying a meal and TV one evening.

I had a 'full' feeling and went to the bathroom...the results were a LOT of blood,followed about every 15 minutes by more.
When it got (too late) to where I felt dizzy walking to the bathroom,I realized "this is not going to fix itself"
I put my companion dog out with food and water,called 911 and went to cool,slow motion, calm mode.
I reported to the 911 operator that I was in real trouble and needed a ride to the hospital...told them to call the fire district about a mile from me and asked them to just come silent as the hour was late.

They confused  my calm with a lack of need...When the EMS and a fire truck arrived ,they entered my previously unlocked door and hooked up an EKG and also pressure tested my blood..listened to my heart.
I told them again I needed to go and needed on the gurney before my 350 pounds refused to move for me...
They then discovered I was in trouble....the load-up and ride was quick and the last I heard was near the hospital as the tech reported a BP of 38 over ZERO.

I later woke in ER and had been provided with 6 units of blood....speeded by the thumb drive with my medical history around my neck I had advised the tech of...they actually had left some of their gear in my home as they were in such a hurry to leave...I advised them of a hidden key and where to leave the key when done...it was on my 125 pound dogs collar.

Thinking back,I actually had been ready due to my learning and preparing based on TSP and my own ,hard earned ,years.

Please plan ahead,a thumb drive saved typing my blood and contacting family, a hidden key also later helped...simple things can be everything in a time of need.I saw the LIGHT this time too.

Offline DonC

• Survivor
  • We have met the Enemy and he is us......
Re: You never know when....medical emergency!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 04:58:23 PM »
Carl,

It's because of this quick thinking and light planning ahead of time, I've no doubt this saved your life and in turn, has you here with us today to share your knowledge and skillset! This helped me and continues to help me grow as a HAM and a survival "REALIST!"

That is a really good way to speed up the medical process, at a time where you may or may not be coherent! It got me to thinking! What information should be stored on such a drive and how should you store it? Here are my thoughts...

Format should be simple and to the point. No folders and only the bare minimum files so medical staff don't have to sift through 100TB of data. Understand, security shouldn't be an issue if you keep the drive near you at all times and keep it updated. If you encrypt it, then it has become useless. They make drives sturdy and thin enough now a days to keep in your wallet or on your keys. Keep it on a lanyard around your neck and it's always available.

1. Brief medical history to include blood type
2. Driver's License
3. Emergency Contact list (also, put the word ICE on contacts in your cellphone and people will know who to contact that way as well.
4. Social Security information
5. Insurance information
6. Location of T.P.

You never stop learning! Just when you think you couldn't possibly be more prepared. Something pops out that could be a great idea.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »
I no longer require #6 ,but most people should have a good supply.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 05:09:30 PM »
T.P. ?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 05:14:10 PM »
T.P. ?

Toilet Paper...inside joke between me a DON...just when I acquired a large stock...my ostomy pretty much removes the need...

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 05:22:17 PM »
Toilet Paper...inside joke between me a DON...just when I acquired a large stock...my ostomy pretty much removes the need...

ahhh. i thought it was tp, but was not sure.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 06:39:13 PM »
This seems like a good idea

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »

Please plan ahead,a thumb drive saved typing my blood and contacting family, a hidden key also later helped...simple things can be everything in a time of need.I saw the LIGHT this time too.

Awesome advise Carl - my hubby and I had a similar conversation today after I recovered after the IVIG treatment I was having went south for a while.  You never know when a medical emergency is going to happen.

+1 for sharing and great advise.

Blessings TBM

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 06:15:06 AM »
I don't have any current medical issues, other than a history of multiple knockout concussions and being about 50 pounds overweight (next stop: endocrinologist), but I do have my Road ID on me when I'm out by myself.  It's a really good product at a reasonable price, and obvious enough that an EMT or even a stranger would actually see it in an emergency situation.

Not as comprehensive as a flash drive, but I really wouldn't have much more to put on it that would impact my medical care anyway.  Mine says:

My name and year of birth
Jay's name and cell number
My friend's name and cell number
"History of TBI"
"No known allergies"

They're reasonably priced, can be worn in a variety of ways, and you can get either the simple version like I have or one that links to a more comprehensive medical history online.  Great story behind how it was invented too.

http://www.roadid.com/

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 06:19:30 AM »
All are good RITA ,Plus ONE
I carry more detailed data as I KNOW I will face a formidable foe in my near future. Cancer will not give up easy.

Preparation removes most of the surprise from an emergency and makes it more livable ...
I needed SIX UNITS of blood and was dead without the blood type on hand...
I do encrypt my bank data and Soc Sec as they don't need that ..
but my data includes CAT scans (14),  PET Scans (6) , even all EKG from my past and drugs in use, Doctors involved etc ...it is fully available ...even the blood tests I take every two weeks.

I stand too close to the cliff these days with my health and easy access has been my ace in the hole.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 10:16:53 PM »
It has been two years ago,or a bit more. I was enjoying a meal and TV one evening.

Just inside my front door is a table with an envelope on it and inside is two pages; one is a list of my medicines/allergies and the other is my medical history.

That envelope was not there when after dark, I was holding my Yorkie and went to the mail box at the end of our path to the street.  I got the mail which meant  I had the Yorkie in one hand and mail in the other.  I fell going up the walk, couldn't stop my fall and landed with force on the left side of my face against an upturned large store.  The sound of the hit was loud.  I was an EMT and knew my facial bones could be broken so I did not move and started yelling, "Help!"  My husband was out shopping so I was alone.  A man came and I told him to call 911.  He did.  Then, a woman came, went into my house, got my phone and called husband and she took my little dog in the house, then she got two fabric throws and put those on top of me.

The ambulance came, they put a neck brace on and put me on a gurney.  One of the medics asked me where my medical information was and I told him where to go in the house to find that folder.  Husband showed up about the time the ambulance was ready to leave. 

They took me to a critical care hospital and I spent two hours there for x-rays, cat scan, and MRI of my skull/brain.  My left eye was full of blood and the left side of my face was turning black.  My facial bones were not broken, and there was a scratch on my cornea, that eye was examined for pressure, etc.. 

Had I hit 1/4 inch lower on my face, the sharp part of the stone would have gone into my eye.  My face was swollen and purple/black for over a week and the blood in my eye took a week to clear.

I was very lucky to still have my eye and no broken facial bones or skull.

After that, I typed those medical pages (also put husband's cell phone number on one) and put them just inside the front door on that table.  I also now wear a medical bracelet with engraved medical info. on it and the cell phone number of my husband.  I never leave the house without the medical bracelet on. 

I also put an envelope with husband's medical info. in it and put that envelope on the inside table.

One medical emergency can change your life.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 03:53:54 AM »
Thank you VICTORIA,for your story ,I am glad that you survived. Others please understand how having such information available can save a life some day.I also now keep a bag of clothing and essentials in a place for when I survive and need clothes and such to be comfortable or to go back home in.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 08:46:15 AM »
Thank you VICTORIA,for your story ,I am glad that you survived. Others please understand how having such information available can save a life some day.I also now keep a bag of clothing and essentials in a place for when I survive and need clothes and such to be comfortable or to go back home in.

I have a bug out bag and bag on wheels close to front door in case I have to leave fast.  Those two bags have enough supplies for at least five days including water.  I live in Texas and a hurricane or tornado can and has happened where I live.  I never let car gasoline get below 1/2 full.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 10:12:29 AM »
I have a bug out bag and bag on wheels close to front door in case I have to leave fast.  Those two bags have enough supplies for at least five days including water.  I live in Texas and a hurricane or tornado can and has happened where I live.  I never let car gasoline get below 1/2 full.

I am in the Shreveport Louisiana area