Author Topic: Article on Chipolte food poisoning instances  (Read 5234 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
Article on Chipolte food poisoning instances
« on: December 23, 2015, 11:31:04 AM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-chipotle-food-safety-crisis/

Interesting piece on the high profile food poisoning incidents associate with Chipolte.  It gets at a couple of interesting points.  How different from the mainstream fast food industry is Chipolte despite their efforts to be distinct?  Also, what are the potential vices of trying to source differently?  Is there a solution for local, safe and affordable that can be carried to the chain level?

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
Re: Article on Chipolte food poisoning instances
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »
My tinfoil hat says three is enemy action...

My sarcastic hat says Chipotle wasn't different, it was JUST MARKETING.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 08:21:07 AM »
I've never been in one of those, and probably won't

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 11:00:59 AM »
I've never been in one of those, and probably won't

It's popular in urban areas.  Seemed like a step above traditional "fast food" for working stiffs in office buildings. 
Personally, having lived in southern CA for many years, I have a preference for more traditional "hole in the wall" taquerias when I can find them.

But plenty of times I've treated an intern to a work lunch, and sometimes that's what they choose.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 11:48:51 AM »
It's a catch 22 for Chipotle. Either you source local and prep in house or establish a foolproof centralized system. Either way have risks.

What really needs to be delved into is why this only seems to hit Chipotle and not Subway, Jimmy John's, or other competitors. I'll be blunt and say that those of us with food industry experience look at warmers that hold meat all day long and shudder with fear. All other sandwich type shops either keep the meat cold or cook to order. Add onto that the risk of all the tools and employees handling said meat. It's a real nightmare.

If they consulted me step one would be to reduce the batch size of all the meats and develop some kind of "clean in place" system for the meat to prevent cross contamination (which gave me the spooks the 2 times I've eaten there). I'd also reduce batch size for veggies and require sanitation between batches. I have a strong suspicion that a lot of tainted veggie problems stem from one knife and cutting board being used all day. Bottom line I want small batches with rapid turnover and improved sanitation. Do that and you keep the local sourcing. If you need bulk ingredients and can't follow the rules, time to call Sysco.

Everyone in the food industry saw this coming a mile away. There's a reason you don't do fast food with "slow food" ingredients. As I write this, bear in mind that no one, not you, not me, no one could pass a food safety inspection in their home kitchen. What keeps us safe at home is low volume and the long idle times between kitchen uses. Imagine how filthy your stovetop would get if you kept your cast iron pan hot and cooking from 10 AM to 10 PM every day for a week. Industrial food requires systems for this reason.

osubuckeye4

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 12:11:24 PM »
I'd rather take the 0.00001% chance of getting food poisoning at Chipotle over the 100% chance that I'm eating ridiculously processed crap at McDonald's, Taco Bell, Burger King, Wendy's, etc that is going to make me feel sick a few hours later.

Then again, I prepare the vast majority of my meals myself these days and my "immunity" to the over processed junk at the aforementioned places no longer exists. I just can't eat a Big Mac and fries without feeling like garbage afterwards.  >:(

Just saying... I'd rather prepare my own meal, but, if I'm in a pinch and it's between Chipotle and Burger King, I'll take my chances with Chipotle.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 12:27:59 PM »
I'd rather take the 0.00001% chance of getting food poisoning at Chipotle over the 100% chance that I'm eating ridiculously processed crap at McDonald's, Taco Bell, Burger King, Wendy's, etc that is going to make me feel sick a few hours later.

Then again, I prepare the vast majority of my meals myself these days and my "immunity" to the over processed junk at the aforementioned places no longer exists. I just can't eat a Big Mac and fries without feeling like garbage afterwards.  >:(

Just saying... I'd rather prepare my own meal, but, if I'm in a pinch and it's between Chipotle and Burger King, I'll take my chances with Chipotle.

This.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 04:43:48 PM »
Being both retired, we don't eat out like we did anymore. Maybe once a week now.
Most of our meals are our own now, made at home. We haven't bought but maybe one loaf of bread since March, and that was some specialty bread.
We finally used up all the ww flour that's been in the freezer for a couple of years, and opened up a bucket of Augason farms wheat. Ground it with our mill, and the bread flavor seemed to have doubled.  ;D
So we now will grind a monthly batch of fresh flour.

Hopefully our canning won't go sour on us. Lol

Hey no one has mentioned Sonic. They have great Burgers!!  ;D

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 06:49:02 PM »
Stwood, you quoted me in your signature line!  I'm so proud!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 06:51:47 PM »
I will admit to liking Chipotle.  They give you a ton of food, and it tastes great.

Like osubuckeye4, I'd rather take the chance.  I start craving McDonalds, and every time I give in, I regret it.  Just feeling like crap after.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 07:26:02 PM »
Stwood, you quoted me in your signature line!  I'm so proud!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 09:05:53 PM »
It's not a question of personal taste or a one to one comparison to another fast food joint. This is a systemic problem occurring at multiple locations repeatedly. And the bacteria being discussed here are serious stuff, not a meager stomach ache to tough out. To the CDC and FDA (with whom I have worked) this is a big deal. The food safety issues here represent both supply chain problems and lack of in-house sanitation. And they've been caught holding meat at unsafe temperatures. Not many more rules they can break.

If vaccines gave kids autism at the rate Chipotle has gotten people ill there would be no parent vaccinating. Food and medicine allow very little failure before regulation shuts them down. If consumers knew the proper statistics on food and medicine Chipotle would have no patrons at all today.

When I traveled for work my on the go stop for food was always a grocery store. A baguette, salami, tomato, and green olives makes as good a sandwich as any fast food joint. In a pinch, a tin of sardines, rye crackers, and a kombucha. My wife goes for yogurt and fresh fruit.