Author Topic: Looking for advice on EAB (Emerald Ash Borer)  (Read 1139 times)

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
Looking for advice on EAB (Emerald Ash Borer)
« on: June 09, 2016, 05:00:14 PM »
I'm in my state's "Quarantine Zone" for Emerald Ash Borer. Cannot transport any ash wood in or out of the area, can't sell it as firewood, or saplings (though it's fine for personal use).

Until recently, I've had no problems with it, but this spring, about 40 large (30' tall, 18" diameter) American Green Ash trees on my property just didn't leaf out at all. They are showing signs of borer damage. I have hundreds more of the trees, the obviously affected ones will be removed and used for my own personal firewood supply, stored in a barn. Hopefully that'll last me a few years.

My dilema is in what to do with the remaining trees which appear to be unaffected. There are two schools of thought:

• Remove them now while to break the pest cycle in the area and reduce spread of the problem.

• Leave them be, as occasionally some ash trees show signs of genetic resistance and can be propagated to reforest the area. This means most of the presently unaffected trees will die off, and the pest cycles will continue for years, but there's a pretty good chance with green and white ash of finding some level of resistance, and I can donate seeds from said trees to the national seed laboratory for breeding programs.

These trees are wild in the area, not just on my property, and I can't cut them from adjoining properties, so complete removal may not effectively break the cycles unless neighbors also commit to similar acts. However with the trees removed, I can begin reforesting with more diverse species right away.

I'm just weighing the pros and cons. Are there any factors I'm missing? What would you do (or have you done) in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: Looking for advice on EAB (Emerald Ash Borer)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 07:13:46 PM »
EABs came through my area in West MI a few years ago.  If your experience is like mine you won't have more than one or two they missed in a year or two.  Maybe this summer alone will be enough to kill them off.  I had one Ash tree near a barn they somehow missed and it seems they have moved on.  But man did they kill a lot of trees!

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Looking for advice on EAB (Emerald Ash Borer)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 10:26:35 AM »
If it were me (and thankfully it is not), I would NOT cut live trees. I know some people doing this. They are just cutting all their ash trees because they *might* die. But they might not. I would wait until they have fully died to cut them. You can only use so much firewood. And 30 trees is a lot of timber. So I would only cut the trees that are completely dead first. The ones with a few leaves still hanging on, I would let go until next year.

I'm unsure what your wood lot looks like. But if the trees are any considerable size, you may be able to get some lumber cut from them. This is probably the route I would go rather than cutting everything for firewood. 3 years ago I cleared some trees on my property. I got about 60 logs and ended up with around 3500 board feet of oak and maple. I cleared some more this spring and have about 40 logs sitting waiting for the guy with the mill to show up. Should be another 2000-2500 board feet of cheap, but high quality lumber. As I mentioned, I am thankful I don't have many ash trees to worry about.