Author Topic: A new pest  (Read 2964 times)

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
A new pest
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:19:42 AM »
I have a wetland area which I'm trying to bring into production. Like a food forest, but utilizing riparian species. The area in question caught a lot of run-off from neighboring fields. Some pesticides and herbicides, and excessive use of fertilizers. It was in such bad shape that the algae blooms would kill off any fish in the ponds and streams. After 5 years, and about 6,000 feet of cattails and rushes to help filter the inlet before water reaches the ponds, life is returning. Small fish, frogs and toads, more delicate plants are surviving and thriving. I'm proud of that, but success has it's down-side as well.

My plants are under siege from crayfish. They're burrowing under the mulch layers, digging out the soil around the roots, and when the plant starts to die, they feast on the roots. This caught me off guard, as I initially suspected moles, vole, field mice (things I have experience with). But when the normal deterrents didn't work, I ripped up a small gooseberry plant and started digging. There in the hole sat a crayfish as big as my hand, still munching on the roots. This is the first one I've seen on the property, though they are all over a river bank about a half mile away. I wasn't expecting this, as the area I'm currently planting is about 100' north, and 6' higher in elevation than the nearest pond. I underestimated their range away from water. And his burrow was quite deep, almost the 6' needed to reach the water table.

While I'm glad they've returned to the property, how do I keep them out of my young transplants?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: A new pest
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »
wow. never heard about that problem before. or, as jack would say, you don’t have a crayfish problem, you have a lack of raccoon problem.

nkawtg

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 05:37:10 PM »
Yes, Raccoons love fresh water clams and crawdads.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 08:14:24 PM »
Lol... and I just fixed my excessive racoon problem. They were breaking into the chicken coop and eating all the eggs, so I used a live-trap and relocated about 8 of them. Figures. There's still a few out in the area, guess I'll need to make sure they get good and hungry.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 08:25:51 PM »
Time for a big crawfish boil.  ;D Two guys with a minnow seine in the shallows can get a mess of them pretty quick.