Author Topic: mosquitoes bite itch cure  (Read 3215 times)

Offline kevinb

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
mosquitoes bite itch cure
« on: June 25, 2016, 04:51:41 PM »
I was in Belize a few months ago and was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes and sand flies. I was having a heck of a time dealing with the itching until I met a guy who out of necessity learned how to deal with the itch. The trick is to get washing powder with bleach and apply it to the affected area scrubbing lightly. let it sit for 5 mins on your skin. After 5 minuits  rinse the solution off and within 10 mins. the itch is flat out gone. I was in the jungle and without this cure I would have hopped on a plane home the next day.

Offline lwgii

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: mosquitoes bite itch cure
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 07:32:58 PM »
Do you mean laundry detergent with bleach?  Is there a brand that worked well for you?

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 05:31:19 AM »
I've had good luck with finding a plantain leaf (the weed, not the starchy banana looking fruit), chewing it up & applying it to the bite--a band aid to hold it in place helps. 

Offline britexport

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »
Multiple other things that will work too. Supposedly baking soda mixed into a paste and put on the bite works. I have had huge success with arnica gel (better than cream I have found) - might need to be reapplied a few times but not only does it stop the itching the bite goes away quickly. 

Offline sexylogbldr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 07:56:11 AM »
I agree with the plantain; adding tea tree oil seemed to help, and was a good carrier.  Not sure if my kids could handle the bleach, they would probably rub in their eyes, noses, and who knows where else.

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »
My family's been using unscented Ban rollon deodorant to kill the itch for 40 years.  Rub it liberally over the bite and when it dries the itch is gone for several hours.  It doesn't seem to repel them, but it doesn't seem to attract them either and it is great for killing the itch.