Author Topic: Homeopathic teething gel: "inconsistent amounts of belladonna", may be toxic  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
ArsTechnica, 1/30/17: FDA confirms toxicity of homeopathic baby products; Maker refuses to recall

After investigating reports that more than 400 babies were sickened and 10 died in connection with homeopathic teething products, the Food and Drug Administration confirmed Friday that it had indeed found elevated levels of the toxic substance, belladonna, in the products. ...

...Hyland's has acknowledged that there are some inconsistencies in the amount of belladonna in its products, but the company said that it has not seen any evidence from the FDA indicating that the elevated levels were toxic or excessive. “The current data [seen by the company] indicate that the measured samples all fall well within an accepted margin of safety,” Hyland’s spokesperson, Mary Borneman, told Ars. As such, the company said it does “not see any action necessary.”...

The FDA said it had found inconsistent amounts of belladonna in Hyland’s products. Some of the amounts were “far exceeding” what was intended. ...

endurance

That's some pretty frightening stuff to be putting in infant's mouth. Belladonna was the original plant they derived atropine from; a drug used in emergency nerve agent interventions.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
If they were actually putting homeopathic quantities of belladonna in the gel, that would probably be safe.  When I see inconsistent quantities, that tells me they don't even know how to do homeopathy correctly.  Either they aren't bothering to measure carefully, or they aren't mixing completely at each dilution step.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
This is one of those sticky areas where I'm in favor of more government regulation. I think certain homeopathic remedies can work well for certain things, but we'll never know for sure until we get some rigorous standards and testing data. I could see it being a barrier to some small manufacturers, but it would also weed out the bad ones like in this case.

Then again it could turn in to a second Big Pharma fiasco ::)

endurance

This is one of those sticky areas where I'm in favor of more government regulation. I think certain homeopathic remedies can work well for certain things, but we'll never know for sure until we get some rigorous standards and testing data. I could see it being a barrier to some small manufacturers, but it would also weed out the bad ones like in this case.

Then again it could turn in to a second Big Pharma fiasco ::)
Yep, I'd love to see companies get independent verification on their formulation on a regular basis. It would definitely add a layer of confidence in the products without adding more oversight.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
This is a recurring problem. Our pediatrician warned us 8 months ago about teething tablets and gels for other reasons, including inconsistencies in dosages, tainted product, and I believe botulism.