Author Topic: DIY Rifle magazine or Remanufactured magazines  (Read 1918 times)

Offline tophattommy2

• Prepper
DIY Rifle magazine or Remanufactured magazines
« on: June 28, 2016, 02:20:24 AM »
Has anyone made rifle magazines or know where to find information about making or modifying them?

Does anyone know of the legal implications of doing so (assuming following local capacity regulations)?

More specifically; Can a Savage 93 .17HMR me made to hold more than 10 rounds?
I can't find anything other than 10 and 5 round magazines and would really like to have a higher capacity for gopher hunting.

Thanks in advance for all the information.

I really do love this group of amazing folks.

Offline Arky

• Prepper
Re: DIY Rifle magazine or Remanufactured magazines
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 06:44:36 AM »
I have tinkered with taking 2 of the 10 rounders, popping the base plates off and welding the magazines together.  I never could get it to reliably work. There was always a catch where the two met that gave me problems. I know this isn't really a solution, but maybe it's an idea you can mark off the list.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
Re: DIY Rifle magazine or Remanufactured magazines
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
Possible, yes. Probable with even above average DIY skills, no. You need to be able to form the mag body and feed lips while holding reasonably decent tolerances for the angles, openings, etc.. Then you need to be able to form the follower and baseplate correctly, while including some means of locating a mag spring...and you'll need a spring. The spring isn't that important for a bolt action, but would be for a semi auto.

You'd need bending/forming/stamping dies for the mag body and follower, plus a press to use them in. I've seen more than one person try to weld mags together and it never works well.