Author Topic: know of a good FIFO can storage system?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline 12th man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
know of a good FIFO can storage system?
« on: June 29, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »
Does anyone know of a good FIFO can storage system that is not plastic crap? Im ok with plastic, but the stuff we have seen is crap, and seems overly expensive for the quality you get.

Best i can find is a three row plastic one on Amazon for $27.50 on prime. https://www.amazon.com/FIFO-Tracker--Storage-Organizer-Dispenser/dp/B001JYMAA4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467243425&sr=8-2&keywords=can+fifo

Offline Arky

• Prepper
Re: know of a good FIFO can storage system?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 05:52:49 AM »
I've got 6 or 7 of these from Thrive and love them.  The nice thing is you can buy one at a time and just keep adding them together. They run these on sale every so often.  I think I bought most of mine for $25.  http://www.thrivelife.com/cansolidator-pantry.html
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Here Again

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 03:38:22 PM »
Hubby built ours our of 2x4 and plywood.  He uploaded pictures on the net, somewhere.  Google: Ohio Dreamers can rotator, it will likely come up.

Offline DDJ

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 10:20:39 AM »

Here are the ones I made.  There are a series of pictures and a couple of videos of what I built posted to Flickr at the following link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimisod/albums/72157625805584831

These worked very well. 

The PDF that Here Again indicated did not show up in my Google search.  I posted it to a document posting sight 3 years ago or so and lost the link.  I am not sure I still have it someplace but the pictures used to create it are on Flickr.  If I find the document I will post it.

These both work very well we are happy with them.  They are an easy project that required only basic tools.  I think you could do the front loaded with a saw and a drill.  If you need any clarification please let me know.  I will be able to take measurements on the ones shown only for another 6 to 8 weeks as we are moving and the plan was to leave them because they arte built for the specific holes they are tucked into.

Offline 12th man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 01:52:01 PM »
that's serious FIFO DDJ. I like it.

I started looking into making my own based off of the ones i posted from Amazon. then i started thinking about selling them. These would be made of 16 gauge stainless steel. they would be tied together with tubing and bolts/allthread. this way you could customize the width. I think i could sell a kit that makes the same size as on Amazon at a fair profit for the same price ~$30. Also could just sell the sides for less, and anyone who can use a tubing cutter and cut down a piece of 10-24 allthread could customize it themselves. I couldn't figure out how to post a picture of the 3D model.

Any thoughts?

Offline FreeThinker

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 04:38:53 PM »
that's serious FIFO DDJ. I like it.

I started looking into making my own based off of the ones i posted from Amazon. then i started thinking about selling them. These would be made of 16 gauge stainless steel. they would be tied together with tubing and bolts/allthread. this way you could customize the width. I think i could sell a kit that makes the same size as on Amazon at a fair profit for the same price ~$30. Also could just sell the sides for less, and anyone who can use a tubing cutter and cut down a piece of 10-24 allthread could customize it themselves. I couldn't figure out how to post a picture of the 3D model.

Any thoughts?

Adjustable width would get my attention I don't think I'd buy (or build) a fixed-size one.  16 oz use to be the standard can I think, now it's 14.5 oz.  Tuna was 6, now 5.  Inflation will keep changing the sizes and there might be wasted space in the storage system over time.  Great idea you have though.

Offline DDJ

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 10:54:31 AM »
Thank you 12th I had fun with that project and I had always thought that making a 6 foot single unit high metal one that had the self cinching heads used by the storage shelves guys would be a sellable product.  Using all thread or just bar stock (or 1/4in steel tubing) with pin holes in place of the dowels would allow for user customization.  Selling it as a kit or by the "slot" would both be an option.

Lift a glass to me at your Patent party.

Offline John Doe

• Senior Survivalist
  • Central Virginian Prepper
    • My personal prepper blog
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »
Here's plans I found recently while starting down this can rotation road:

http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/canrotator/can-organizer.html

I'm not sure if I can build one of these or if I should just buy one at this point.. still deciding
-Mike
My personal prepper blog
Interesting case law: Plummer v. State (of Indiana)
Zechariah 14:12 Mathew 27:52