Author Topic: CA Governor signs gun control bills into law  (Read 36148 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: CA Governor signs gun control bills into law
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2019, 11:30:37 AM »
AR15s are easier to think about.  AFAIK you can own a stripped lower receiver in CA.  Also, with a few exceptions, individual pieces are not banned, rather their integration into a firearm could be.  So if I still lived in CA, I might be inclined to buy a few lower parts kits, receivers (stripped) and enough other "featureless" parts.  I feel it's a good hedge, and both keeps you out of legal trouble today and you're good to go should laws change in your favor, or rule of law ceases, and you decide it's "cowabunga time".

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2019, 01:56:20 PM »
no idea what he means, the distinction between a "featureless" rifle and a CA " compliant rifle"  SO he uses 3 terms, 2 of which I believe I know what they are, "CA compliant" and a " CA registered assault rifle"  no idea what "featureless" is.   I don't have any of those categories of course, but for others who may.....

A featureless AR is what is being legally sold with the pistol grip disabled since this new legislation went into effect. A compliant rifle is a Mini-14, M1A, Keltec SU or RDB-C, anything without a pistol grip. I believe fixed mag ARs are also considered compliant, rather than featureless. Registered are either the real deal ARs grandfathered from before the AWB or Bullet Button rifles that weren’t converted to featureless when the new legislation went into effect.

AR15s are easier to think about.  AFAIK you can own a stripped lower receiver in CA.  Also, with a few exceptions, individual pieces are not banned, rather their integration into a firearm could be.  So if I still lived in CA, I might be inclined to buy a few lower parts kits, receivers (stripped) and enough other "featureless" parts.  I feel it's a good hedge, and both keeps you out of legal trouble today and you're good to go should laws change in your favor, or rule of law ceases, and you decide it's "cowabunga time".

That’s certainly a valid option for those who are mechanically inclined.

For anyone else, pay attention to the method used to disable the pistol grip on your featureless rifle before you get it.  Some are as easy to remove as drilling out two rivets and popping off a kydex paddle, come cowabunga time.

Regardless of what type of rifle you insert your 30-rd pmags into, think carefully about revealing that you possess them. The one you possessed prior to last week can technically be treated very differently from a legal standpoint than the ones that arrived Friday. Your actions and words are what differentiates between the two, and where you live makes a huge difference. LA and SF will be harsher than San Bernardino.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2019, 05:36:01 PM »
Seems like this link has the descriptions.  And, all of this is in reference to the "scary Black" AR type rifles.

Featureless is what people are buying in CA,  no thumbhole stock, no pistol grip, etc......  so what you can legally buy in CA right now, "scary Black" rifle types and any other legal semi-auto's with detachable magazines like a ruger 10-22 or a mini-14

compliant is a rifle with at least one of those features, BUT a fixed magazine

Registered assault rifles have "features" and a detachable magazine and that window is closed, either they are already on the registered list, or they are not legal

SO, in the You Tube clip he is saying you can put your standard magazines on a Featureless, but not on a compliant ( as those still may not have a detachable magazine at all) or on the regisered assault weapons, as those also must stick to the way they were made and registered. 

https://caligunner.com/california-compliant-featureless-rifle/

A Featureless Rifle is the term used to describe a semi-automatic rifle that does not have any of the following:

A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
    A thumbhole stock
    A folding or telescoping stock
    A grenade launcher or flare launcher
    A flash suppressor
    A forward pistol grip

So even if you have JUST ONE of these features on your semi-automatic centerfire rifle you own what California considers to be an “assault weapon” unless your magazine is fixed.

Is Going Featureless the Only Way to Be Compliant?

No! There is another option that allows you to keep your features (pistol grip, folding/telescoping stock, forward grip and flash suppressor) while still being completely legal. This is the fixed or magazine lock option.
Fixed or Locked Magazine Option

This option allows the use of features on your AR-15 by fixing or locking the 10 round magazine in your rifle while the lower is attached to the upper receiver. This is often done with a device like the Juggernaut Tactical Hellfighter Kit available at Brownells. With a device like this you can use all the “evil features” described at the beginning of the article and still be legal. This is a great option for those that can’t get over the looks of a featureless rifle.

There are pictures and much other useful information in that article, options, suggestions, etc....

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2019, 07:38:21 PM »
Seems like this link has the descriptions.  And, all of this is in reference to the "scary Black" AR type rifles.

Featureless is what people are buying in CA,  no thumbhole stock, no pistol grip, etc......  so what you can legally buy in CA right now, "scary Black" rifle types and any other legal semi-auto's with detachable magazines like a ruger 10-22 or a mini-14

compliant is a rifle with at least one of those features, BUT a fixed magazine

Registered assault rifles have "features" and a detachable magazine and that window is closed, either they are already on the registered list, or they are not legal

SO, in the You Tube clip he is saying you can put your standard magazines on a Featureless, but not on a compliant ( as those still may not have a detachable magazine at all) or on the regisered assault weapons, as those also must stick to the way they were made and registered. 

https://caligunner.com/california-compliant-featureless-rifle/

There are pictures and much other useful information in that article, options, suggestions, etc....

Yeah, you're right.  My compliant rifle definition was wrong.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2019, 11:45:03 AM »
Just got this email from Brownell’s.

Midway, on the other hand, sent me an email 2 days ago saying they cancelled my order !  I will call them to verify why, but we know why

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2019, 02:37:15 AM »
The order I placed last night at E. Arthur Browne was shipped out this morning, so I think I'm good.  They charged 2-3x what the other guys do to overnight, so it's going to be a week.

It took an extra day to get the 10/22 mags from this seller, but as of this weekend everything has arrived.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »