Poll

"Current active shooter thread" (in the "Current Severe Emergency Situations" board) is used for many events and gets cluttered with discussion. Should we do something about this?

Keep things as they are.
8 (27.6%)
Lock "Current active shooter thread", ask everyone to start a new thread for each new event.
2 (6.9%)
Hybrid plan: Start a new thread for each new event, and post only one brief summary and a thread link in "Current active shooter thread".
16 (55.2%)
None of the above. [If you choose this option, please post your own suggestion.]
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: POLL: What to do with "Current active shooter thread"?  (Read 8415 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
POLL: What to do with "Current active shooter thread"?
« on: July 22, 2016, 01:36:12 PM »
Current active shooter thread

This thread is a mess.  Umpteen topics, sometimes overlapping if multiple events are occurring, and lots of discussion that isn't directly related to a current emergency.

Can we make this more useful?  How do you use this thread?  What would you like to see?

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: POLL: What to do with "Current active shooter thread"?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 01:41:28 PM »
You're right  and I'm as guilty as any. I like thread for the rapidity of it and I'd like to keep it so when I see it I can get timely info if my area is effected.

I think it's natural for some drift in this topic as events seem to be correlated and broader philosophies are applied. But I appreciate the desire to keep this thread clean.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 01:43:54 PM »
Hindsight is 20/20.

Here's a scenario:

There are coordinated attacks in different locations at roughly the same time.  Initially each might be thought a separate incident until obvious patterns are known (type of attack, similar targets, etc.).

So the problem there, is you need to someone link or combine multiple threads.

I think the most practical thing to do is have a single ever-appending thread, but have strict policy against side discussions. Links to commentary threads would be fine, but don't write a paragraph about "how the world sucks"  in the middle of a play-by-play news feed.

God forbid another 9/11 attack happened, but using shooters.  We might want to revisit that in the future, and having a chronological, and accurate record of posts may be of value.  Several times we've seen news outlets revise their headlines, and this is a subject of conspiracy theories at times.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 02:03:01 PM »
Case in point  - this just happened:

Sky NewsVerified account ‏@SkyNews  2h2 hours ago
Reports of a second shooting at Marienplatz station #Munich

If we had started a "shooting in Munich Mall"  thread, would we add this there or make a fresh one?  It's near impossible to know at the time, so I think some flexibility is warranted.

nkawtg

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 02:13:12 PM »
I'd like to restrict the active shooter thread to "US" incidences only. International events should get their own thread.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 03:12:01 PM »
I like Nkawtg's suggestion.  US active shooters seem to be different from international incidents in motive, method and shooter.

as for the discussion that follows.... I like Smurf's idea

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 01:12:12 AM »
have strict policy against side discussions. [/b] Links to commentary threads would be fine, but don't write a paragraph about "how the world sucks"  in the middle of a play-by-play news feed.

God forbid another 9/11 attack happened, but using shooters.  We might want to revisit that in the future, and having a chronological, and accurate record of posts may be of value.  Several times we've seen news outlets revise their headlines, and this is a subject of conspiracy theories at times.

I think it should stay as it is, but I might be biased as I started the OP.
BUT....

1. If it is a sidetracking discussion on it, make a new thread and link the new thread to the  CURRENT ACTIVE SHOOTER thread..
2. I know as CNN (Cedar Network News), I would go insane trying to keep track of multiple threads, which is why I made this one in the first place.
3. If something major like another 9-11 happened, like Ferguson and a couple others, I believe I did make their own threads. Something like 9-11 again I would make a comment on CURRENT ACTIVE SHOOTER thread and a link to the new thread.
4. Originally I had intended for it to be USA only current event type shootings, but I was/am OK with international events as well.

Lately there has been alot of discussion on the thread instead of the fact/to the second news type stuff. It is difficult for me to get to a real computer, so if I see the CURRENT ACTIVE SHOOTER thread is new.. it takes me trial and frustration to open the thread on my cell, and it is not a current event (which I AM happy about), but found myself starting to ignore it as it was chatter, which is also not good.

Cedar

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 04:16:10 AM »
Since voted "none of the above":

If it were up to me, I would keep the original thread going, restrict it to updates on current active shootings/terror attacks and, which I know can't be prevented but then someone can remove off topic posts either to a discussion thread for an individual attack, or simply deleted, depending on its substantive value.

Most of is who are interested in getting updates have already posted in it, so it shows up for us when we hit "replies".

So from here on out, if someone updates the thread they post about the new incident. Anyone who wants to discuss more that simple news updates can create a new thread for discussion and post a link to the discussion thread. Then that can be the "official" discussion thread for that incident.

Mods can go back and remove old non-news posts, shortening the overall thread.

That's my thought anyway.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 06:17:39 AM »
So discipline. To post breaking stuff about a situation and some timely development to the story.

Deep dives into the situation, link diagrams of terrorist groups, woulda coulda shouldas, stories of individual victims and such...people can start a dedicated thread.  We were doing that already, just need to refocus.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 07:14:44 AM »
We were doing that already, just need to refocus.

Yep.

Cedar

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 09:05:45 AM »
Cue soldier and Cedar, I agree and will keep active shooter in postings to current actually active situations and make or use dedicated threads for other discussions. Thank you.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 09:25:27 AM »
Roger Wilco

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 09:34:51 AM »
I think it would be better to have a new, DATED, thread for each event.
Also make clear where the event happened. There are How Many towns named Paris, or Rome, or Lake City, or whatever?
Please specify the country or state.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 06:18:21 PM »
Okay, folks, here's what we've come up with:

We currently have five "ALERT" topics in the Current Severe Emergency Situations board:

ALERT: Active shooter & multiple homicide incidents, United States
ALERT: Active shooter & multiple homicide incidents, outside the US
ALERT: Natural and industrial disaster emergencies
ALERT: Civil disturbance emergencies
ALERT: Miscellaneous emergencies

The purpose of these topics is to keep our members informed with urgent information about current emergency incidents.

PLEASE POST:
  • Brief announcements and informative links about new emergencies that are currently in progress.
  • Urgent updates only (for example: the emergency has worsened significantly, or the emergency is over).
  • Links to other topics on TSP Forum where the incident is being discussed in detail.

PLEASE DO NOT POST:
  • Discussion or speculation.
  • Minor updates.
  • Followups after the emergency has ended.
Instead, please use a separate topic dedicated to the specific incident.  Start one yourself if it doesn't exist yet, and post a link to it in the appropriate ALERT topic.  (If you don't know how to post a link to a topic, just click "Report to moderator" at the bottom of your own post, and we'll be glad to do it for you.)

If you want to receive e-mail notifications when someone posts in the ALERT topics (or in any other topic on the forum), click the "NOTIFY" button at the top of the thread.

I've locked the old "Current active shooter thread".

I hope this ends up being useful and easier to deal with.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 07:12:17 PM »
good job mr bill.

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 08:57:45 PM »
I like it!   :D  Thank you.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 10:10:41 PM »
I like it!   :D  Thank you.
This!  Thanks Mr. Bill.