Author Topic: Warning: Survival Subscription Scam  (Read 6497 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Warning: Survival Subscription Scam
« on: August 12, 2016, 01:36:30 PM »
     Not sure if this is the correct place for this... I followed a link from SurvivalLife for a "free" Ebook of survival material. The "cost" was $4.95. to cover shipping and handling. The disc arrived and contained a good deal of useful information. So far so good. However, at the very bottom of the ordering information was a notice that I would be enrolled in a monthly "survival update" to the tune of $14.95, charged against my credit card. I didn't catch on to this (shame on me) before I pushed the order button. There is supposedly a 14 day grace period to cancel the subscription.
     The problem is that you can either try to cancel online, which is virtually impossible, or leave the "robot voice" at their phone number a message to cancel. So far, I have no idea if I've been able to successfully cancel. I checked my credit card account and so far have only been charged the S&H amount. I found many complaints online about this issue (individuals, Better Business Bureau, etc.).
     If you are tempted to order "The Caveman Survivor Guide: Your Massive Guide to Everything You Need to Know to Survive" (the title alone should have tipped me off) please realize that you are also subscribing to a hard to cancel, monthly fee. Here's a free survival tip from me: read the fine print. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Warning: Survival Subscription Scam
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:04:14 PM »
thx for the warning. good luck cancelling it

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 02:07:34 PM »
Thank you for this info.  I am sorry to say that Survival Life was a forum advertiser last year.  Their ads will not be accepted here again.

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 03:25:30 PM »
That is good to know Mr. Bill thank you for keeping the forum to the moral high road.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 02:06:35 PM »

I was able to successfully cancel my subscription by going to ClikBank. Apparently they handle the billing and accounts for a variety of e-book publishing vendors. They were polite and promptly cancelled my subscription and seemed sympathetic to the issues that I had. As it stands now, both my phone request to cavemansurvivor.com and to ClikBank have been acknowledged by email. I am under no further subscription obligation. I received and am happy with the e-book that I paid $4.98 for and feel that it was well worth it. I just want folks to be aware that there is a further monthly obligation imposed by making this order, which you may not have realized and may not want to pay. End of story.