Author Topic: Murder Charges for Neighborhood Watch After Firing Warning Shot  (Read 1071 times)

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
This isn't going to end well for anyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/08/09/a-white-homeowner-called-911-to-report-hoodlums-outside-then-he-fatally-shot-a-black-man/?utm_term=.eae227a3034a

I’m on neighborhood watch. I am going to have the neighborhood meet these hoodlums out here racing up and down the street. It’s 1 in the morning. There’s some devil in them. They have firearms and we’re going to secure our neighborhood. If I was you, I would send PD out here as quickly as possible.

I fired my warning shot like I’m supposed to by law. … They do have firearms, and I’m trying to protect myself and my family.

Bearing Arms is critical of his actions.
http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/08/08/raleigh-man-facing-murder-charges-ill-advised-warning-shot/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:41:52 PM by FreeLancer »
23:57:30

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Murder Charges for Neighborhood Watch After Firing Warning Shot
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
Oh great, another asshat, another murder.  Just what this summer needs.

On the plus side, it looks like a pretty open-and-shut case for the prosecutor.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 05:30:17 PM »
Sorry but you don't use a deadly weapon for warnings. "Warning shot" is not a defense as it admits you used deadly force intentionally. This is, unfortunately, a clear cut manslaughter case. If the DA thinks he entered the action intentionally it could even be argued Murder 1. You need to know the laws if you are going to carry the smokewagon.
The rotation of the earth really makes my day.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 05:34:43 PM »
Sorry but you don't use a deadly weapon for warnings. "Warning shot" is not a defense as it admits you used deadly force intentionally. This is, unfortunately, a clear cut manslaughter case. If the DA thinks he entered the action intentionally it could even be argued Murder 1. You need to know the laws if you are going to carry the smokewagon.

Definitely.  The BA author analyzes the 911 phone recording and says the guy essentially incriminated himself, making it nearly impossible to argue that what he did was anything other than murder.  Listening to the actual words he says, the tone he uses, the total inability to listen to what the operator is asking him to do, he is not afraid, he's angry and he's looking for trouble.  He really does absolutely nothing right.  And now he's screwed, and his family is screwed.  If you can't control your temper or desire for retribution, a gun is a major liability.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:53:19 PM by FreeLancer »
23:57:30

Offline AntwonSims

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:47:51 AM »
That URL/Title... Could it get any more obvious as to the bias they are trying to cater to?

With that said, seems like this guy is a loon.

Any update on the story?