Author Topic: Gather ye Baofengs while ye may...  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Gather ye Baofengs while ye may...
« on: August 09, 2016, 06:05:34 PM »
... because sooner or later the police and FCC are going to get tired of this stuff:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/nyregion/threats-over-police-radios-have-officers-and-scanner-buffs-on-the-case.html?_r=0

In the meantime, if you are inclined to get one or a dozen or so, now is not a bad time.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Gather ye Baofengs while ye may...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 06:28:10 PM »
So inexpensive Chinese HTs are the 80% polymer lowers of the radio world?

Meaning neither is really a material threat, but why worry ourselves with facts when we can enjoy the drama?

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 08:57:02 PM »
I picked up some of those 888s radios. UHF only but program nicely and seem solid. You can program them for simplex or repeater use. They are channelised. 15 channels and channel 16 can be set up to scan the other 15. Full tone programming and tone squelch. And did I mention they are inexpensive?

Jerseyboy

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:32:43 PM »
After the Steven Harris show where the Baofengs were mentioned several years ago I picked up one. Pulled it out of the box and then put it right back. It's on my list of things to learn.... some day....

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 09:47:49 PM »
After the Steven Harris show where the Baofengs were mentioned several years ago I picked up one. Pulled it out of the box and then put it right back. It's on my list of things to learn.... some day....

FYI.  To keep the battery usable you need to discharge and charge it once every year.  They come uncharged from the factory and should be charged before storing.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 09:50:10 PM »

The UV-82 can be programmed with CHIRP.

I had to use the enclosed program for the 888s radios.

Not too hard.

What radio model did you get?

Jerseyboy

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:41 PM »
Learning radio operating technique with a Baofeng is like learning to drive with an 18 wheeler.

They are great value, most amateurs own multiple for this reason. But if you really don't know what you're doing, a pair of FRS radios from the big box store may serve you better.

That all said, once you learn how to operate them, get programming software and cables sorted out, etc.  there are economies of scale and it's easy to add one more.  Really no different from building AR-15s or other DIY type hobbies.

I always keep one in my daily laptop bag, along with roll-up antenna and spare battery.  It's programmed with all repeaters between my office and home, as well as several public service frequencies for the area.  I may never need it, but for less than $30 it's useful, and yet I wouldn't be in tears if I lost or broke it.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 10:36:13 PM »
And the 888s can be had for about $12 each. Two for a silver eagle.

Jerseyboy

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 11:21:56 PM »
And the 888s can be had for about $12 each. Two for a silver eagle.

Jerseyboy

But I like having a VFO...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 04:32:51 AM »
On subject...I doubt that the sales of the CHINA-Talkies will be curtailed due to illegal interference as it is the activity and not the device that is questionable.
Maybe a three day waiting period or registration will help...I know ...RADIO FREE ZONES   :sarcasm:

And note that CHIRP does now program the 888 radio...which is good for NON-RADIO people as well as advanced users.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 06:06:45 PM »

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »
I'm told that I have more kids under my roof than the FCC has Enforcement Agents.  I don't see much more to this than some harsh words and whispered threats.
I own 4 Baofengs, UV3r+, they ALL SUCK and are in a box. 
I'm one of 6 hams in the US that has never bought a UV5r or it's variant.  Cheap is good till it's not.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 08:13:56 PM »
It looks like the FCC is eyeing the retailers.  Already, reputable places like MTC Radio, R & L, etc. have pulled UV-5r's from their web sites.  I expect it'll take a little while before everything shakes out at places like Amazon.

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
Sigh
Just like when the previous President tried to take our guns.
I just ordered 2 Baofeng handhelds and 1 25 watt mobile this week.
Credit card hates me but I wanted a few more and figured I had better do it before the rush

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 05:01:05 PM »
 I think  FCC has no jurisdiction over Ham radio with the exception of interference of commercial stations. Ham radio operators do not license or regulate radio gear...only the operators and standards of such gear in operation.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 08:36:03 PM »
Dan "the No Nonsense manual guy," having a working relationship with BTECH, has some interesting insights and informed commentary: https://www.kb6nu.com/did-the-fcc-just-make-baofengs-illegal-short-answer-no/
So no, the FCC's not kicking doors to round up old unlocked Baofengs that may happen to have a few FRS channels programmed in.  It's a little ambiguous about importing and selling the unlocked ones to hams, who ostensibly know better than to program in non-ham band frequencies.  I expect that eventually all new UV-5R's (or any follow-on models) will be locked down too, just like say, a Yaesu FT-60 is now.  We'll still be able to get cheap Chinese radios, but not quite the Swiss Army vise-grips that the current model is.

Finally, I see that Baofeng/BTECH has a locked-down MURS-only 2 watt version now for about $30 less than the old Dakota Alerts: https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-MURS-V1-Manufacturing-Personal-Business/dp/B075VBP9YG  This is a lot better overall for the people who just want to used the darned things without having to go through all the CHIRP contortions.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 09:12:32 PM »
Finally, I see that Baofeng/BTECH has a locked-down MURS-only 2 watt version now for about $30 less than the old Dakota Alerts: https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-MURS-V1-Manufacturing-Personal-Business/dp/B075VBP9YG  This is a lot better overall for the people who just want to used the darned things without having to go through all the CHIRP contortions.

Thanks, that might be what my wife and I need.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 09:31:07 PM »

If you're wanting to MURS the right way, it's the most affordable option on the market!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 05:35:37 AM »

The 2 watt limit is not really as restrictive as many appear to think as MURS allows for elevated/external antennas and most any two meter antenna will work without major modification and the 2 watt signal can do solid communications for a long way (10 mile and-much farther)

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »
The 2 watt limit is not really as restrictive as many appear to think as MURS allows for elevated/external antennas and most any two meter antenna will work without major modification and the 2 watt signal can do solid communications for a long way (10 mile and-much farther)

that is a good reminder to maybe get my 4 bay folded dipole MURS antenna put up this fall :)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 05:32:55 AM »
  I have built a number of MURS capable Big Stick antennas lately as the antenna is way better at range-making for radio than power...Height will get you distance while power can aide penetration of foliage and buildings.