Author Topic: RV Full Time Living  (Read 6380 times)

Offline screwby

• Prepper
Re: RV Full Time Living
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 06:19:25 AM »
We've now been in our 5th wheel since June.  The garage sale still gives me chills, so much crap to go through and sell/donate.  Good luck with everything and welcome to the gypsy lifestyle.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »
Started this adventure with a girlfriend but she got upgraded to being my wife.

Congratulations!   :beer:

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 02:16:06 PM »
Our plan is to live full time in the campground until I retire in a few years.  Will be traveling on vacations and weekends like the "normal" RV crowd, but when we go "home" it'll still be in the same rig just to our campsite.

On our lot we have two storage sheds that are 12-10 so that helps.  Right now I'm still paying for a storage unit in a commercial space until we get things narrowed down even further.  I have too many toys and some, like the sea kayaks and scuba gear, are bulky and won't fit in our onsite storage. 

Didn't have a garage sale; I'd rather stab myself in the face with a knitting needle than do that!  We did donate a lot to family, Goodwill, friends, dump.  Sold a few things too but directly rather than face a GS crowd!   

Definitely have to narrow down the list of "survivalist/prepper" supplies that I'll carry.  Going through tool boxes, etc trying to figure out our emergency supplies.  My wife has pretty much given me carte blanche on those topics. 

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 10:43:53 AM »
 I just bought this truck camper shown here on my 6 cylinder Tundra:

I surfed some hurricane swell in Rhode Island a couple of weeks ago while staying in the camper. The power steering blew out. I am having the truck repaired and made more road worthy. I was only driving the car 20 miles a week or so for several years. It has 170k miles on it from when I had a camper years ago. I was trying to save the wear and tear for when I got another camper which just occurred due to improved employment situation etc.

I still like my BOL in Maine however. After the power steering failed, I left the camper at my house and took the Rav 4 up to my camp for several days.

I could live in something small like this full time except where the weather is cold, but even a bigger RV is limited for cold weather I think. You have to head south in the winter. I actually think the idea of owning land someplace down south and camping on it in an RV is interesting but probably gets more complicated than campgrounds as there are laws and you have to deal with your own security concerns etc ..

The biggest thing to watch out for is water leaks. If you don't have time to figure out how to fix it, hire someone right away if a leak occurs. I learned that from my last camper which was a popup
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:07:24 AM by surfivor »

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »
Looks very nice, Surf... sorry to hear about your power steering... still, after that many miles I am sure the vehicle has paid for itself...

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 11:22:09 AM »
Looks very nice, Surf... sorry to hear about your power steering... still, after that many miles I am sure the vehicle has paid for itself...

Yes, well I am fixing the AC which failed a couple of years ago, plus a new rear bumper and the power steering so it's going to be close to $3,000. If I get it back by Friday there may be some smaller surf this weekend and a few campgrounds still open

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 04:13:55 PM »
Nice camper.  One of my buddies bought something similar and drove to Talkeetna, AK from Seattle.  He bought a lot there and was going to live in it while his new cabin was built.  The plan was to have the garage/shop built then move the camper in there.  He ran into delays and decided it wasn't weather worthy enough to survive a severe Alaskan winter fully exposed so he sold it and came back south for the past winter.  He's back there now but construction has moved quickly. 

We're limited for extreme weather but I have added tank heaters so nothing will freeze and we're going to skirt it before the weather turns too bad -- that'll add 10-15 degrees to the inside.  Hooked up to shore power, propane, water, and sewer.  Luckily the weather in the Puget Sound area isn't THAT severe.  Even where we are in the foothills it's usually more wet than cold all winter.  We've strung a cable between two trees and have two tarps covering much of the lot and motorhome so we've got a dry area outside and over the rig.  Eventually we'll build up a gazebo as an "outside" room with some furniture and a firepit coffee table. 

After I retire we'll move with the seasons and avoid all the worst weather.  I can always fly somewhere to ski!

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 02:27:10 AM »
Where abouts are you around Puget Sound?  I grew up in Olympia and tromped around quite bit on the Peninsula (logging/firefighting), Shelton (commercial diving), Nisqually, Yelm , Littlerock areas.  Pretty much everything south of Ft. Lewis, plus the Cascades and Olympics.  We have our annual family reunion on Black Lake at Columbus Park.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 07:53:58 PM »
We're up north near Everett.  Have cousins in Shelton and grew up on Ft. Lewis and the surrounding towns including Olympia.  That was a long time ago. . . .

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2017, 04:19:43 AM »
You are up around some gorgeous country (north and east).  My dad was a bridge engineer on the North Cascades highway and one year a friend and I (about 13 yrs) spent the summer up there with him fishing up and down Ruby Creek while he inspected bridges.  We ate in the construction chow hall, those guys know how to eat pancakes!  And we had trout every night. So we were hiking among the old mining cabins and fishing holes long before it became the Recreational Area.  Spent some time on Whidbey Island. 

I don't know that you could find a bad spot for RV up there with the Sound, Cascades, rural farm/foothills, San Juans, and B.C.!! I envy you being on the road up there, great choice for starting your full-time adventuring.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?