Author Topic: Blue Cut Fire - San Bernardino/Cajon Pass  (Read 14952 times)

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Blue Cut Fire - San Bernardino/Cajon Pass
« on: August 16, 2016, 10:35:33 PM »
This thing is totally out of control, spreading faster than anything seen in recent memory. The I-15 is closed, which is complicating travel in and out of SoCal. Over 80,000 persons under mandatory evacuations. Impressive smoke and flames visible from my house, even now that it's dark. Fortunately the winds are blowing the smoke to the NE, but we've got two more days of triple digit temps and single digit humidity in that area.

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20160816/blue-cut-fire-burns-15000-acres-in-cajon-pass-more-than-80000-evacuated

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Blue Cut Fire - San Bernardino/Cajon Pass
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 11:27:33 PM »
Live Updates: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-updates-wildfire-season-california-2016-htmlstory.html

LIVE FEED (but has a 2 minute delay)
http://abc7.com/live/

Twitter https://twitter.com/search?q=Blue%20Cut%20Fire&src=typd

- I-5 and 138 closed. No word on when opening again.

Scanners:
Cajun Pass Railroad http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/
San Bernardino County System 1 - Fire http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/7010/web
San Bernardino County System 1 - Sheriff and Fire http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/19088/web

Cedar

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:47:14 PM »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:16:07 AM »
1 am - 18,000 acres
5:19 p.m. 2 firefighters injured, fire engine damaged. Six firefighters became entrapped, 2 injured. The two firefighters were transported to a local hospital where they were treated and released before returning to defend structures.
6:02 p.m. Gov. Brown declares state of emergency
- 10 school districts closed in San Bernardino Co (school is in already?)

6:27am The fire is currently 18,000 acres with 700 personnel on scene. 102 engines, 15 crews, 8 air tankers, 2 Very Large Air Tankers (VLATS), and 8 Helicopters, including night flying helicopters. Additional firefighters and equipment have been ordered and will be responding directly to the fire.

There were 82,649 people were under mandatory evacuation as of an early evening update. Sheriff's officials have called for mandatory evacuations for: 

Wrightwood
    Lytle Creek
    The Cajon Valley area
    North of Highway 138, south of Phelan road, east of Sheep Creek, west of Caliente
    Between Highway 138 to the south, Ranchero Road to the north, extending east to Summit Valley Road
    West Cajon Valley Highway 2 to the 15 Freeway
    Baldy Mesa north of Phelan Road
    The Lone Pine Canyon area
    The Swarthout Canyon area
    Interstate 15 east to Summit Valley Road, everything south of Ranchero
    Bear Valley Road on the north, Highway 395 on the east and Caughlin Road on the West

- The historic Summit Inn, a popular roadside diner at the crest of historic Route 66, has been burnt up.

- Many other homes taken by flames https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPM3-22sxYQ

ROAD Closures:
    NO access to I-15 and SR-138 anticipated for tomorrow.
    Highway 138 between I-15 and the 2
    Lone Pine Canyon Road closed at 138
    Northbound 15 closed at 215
    Southbound 15 closed at Bear Valley
    Swarthout Canyon Road closed to Cajon Boulevard
    Lone Pine Canyon closed between 138 and east Canyon

Alternative Routes:
From the west end of the county, 210 westbound to the I-5, to Highway 14 into the desert. Another option: 10 eastbound to Highway 62, then take 62 into the high desert. Bachman also noted that San Bernardino mountain roads were gridlocked. They suggest taking food and water as it is 106F out there and can get gridlocked.

For residents who work in South Bay, Long Beach, downtown L.A. or the San Gabriel of San Fernando valleys, the paper suggests:
Take the 210 Freeway west to the 5 north to the 14 north and then exit at Pearblossom Highway. Take Pearblossom east across the desert to Phelan Road, which later becomes Main Street in Hesperia

Cedar
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:27:53 AM by Cedar »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 07:33:57 AM »
Even if you are not in the fire zone, get some N-95 masks before they are all gone. Air quality is deteriorating down there. Coming home from fires along I-5 from California to Oregon 2 years ago, I really wish I had had them for SP and I. None to be found. So I carry them now in my vehicle.

Edit: Just saw this from someone, "ash falling in Adelanto, thick smoke makes u choke."

Weatherman calling for 107F at 4pm today. 92F at 9am.

EVACUATION CENTERS:
Jessie Turner Community Center
15556 Summit Avenue
Fontana, CA

Sultana High School
17311 Sultana St.
Hesperia, CA 92345

Cedar
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:39:31 AM by Cedar »

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 07:56:49 AM »

- 10 school districts closed in San Bernardino Co (school is in already?)

Cedar

More and more schools in Southern California are going to year-round schedules.  I went back to work on July 20th.  I've been back exactly 4 weeks as of today.

This thing is totally out of control, spreading faster than anything seen in recent memory. The I-15 is closed, which is complicating travel in and out of SoCal. Over 80,000 persons under mandatory evacuations.

Wow!  Where do 80,000 people go? 

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 08:43:23 AM »
At the Sultana High School evacuation center in Hesperia Wednesday morning, Osuna Rosa sipped her cup of coffee.  [She] has relied on Interstate 15 for years for the commute from her home in Banning to the High Desert, where she works as a hospice nurse.

When she tried to take Interstate 15 south to go home, it was closed. Then she tried her favorite alternate route along Summit Valley Road but it was full of cars.

Rosa tried to get a hotel room, but there weren't any rooms available. Other drivers and locals who fled their homes had claimed the last beds. Rosa sobbed, fearing she was stuck.

"What am I going to do now?" she remembered asking herself.

A motel employee referred her to the shelter, where she managed to get a few hours of sleep on one of the dozens of cots in the dimly lit gymnasium.

"At the moment when I realized I had to spend the night here, it was shocking," she said, still dressed in Tuesday's blue hospital scrubs.

Another example of why we should have a 72 hour bag in our cars or at work...

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 08:49:34 AM »

I remember living around San Diego, and there are certainly places with highway choke points, and no good alternatives to safely travel on foot (not to mention your recent temps).

Up in my region (western WA) it's 70F and the rivers all have water flowing.  I carry EDC stuff to "get home",  but a scenario where no land routes would be available for walking seems rare.  I hope I'm not being naive.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 09:49:16 AM »

And there's really no excuse for these people who commute down to the valley for work not to be prepared. The Cajon Pass is good for at least one shutdown per year, usually from winter weather, but fires and hazardous material spills as well.  It's a death trap up there when catastrophe strikes.

The McDonalds and a motel in the pass burned. Both are popular with hikers crossing the interstate on the Pacific Crest Trail.

I'm working in San Bernardino today, I'm curious how much air tanker traffic we will have. Only one so far that went right over the building as it took off from the old Norton base.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:58:03 AM by FreeLancer »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 09:55:54 AM »
Wow!  Where do 80,000 people go?

Hotels which are now full, the high school gym, and the community center is not holding all of them,
http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20160816/where-residents-animals-are-evacuating-to-during-the-blue-cut-fire-in-the-cajon-pass

Oak Hills High School, in nearby Hesperia Unified, is further from the smoke and flames of the Blue Cut Fire, and is the official Red Cross evacuation center. The school is located at 7625 Cataba Rd., in Oak Hills.

This shows all the Red Cross Shelters open in the USA. Some are due to the flooding. Too bad we could not send that extra water from LA to LA.
http://www.redcross.org/get-help/disaster-relief-and-recovery/find-an-open-shelter

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »
- The fire is currently 30,000 acres, 0% contained, with 1,309 personnel on scene. 152 engines, 18 crews, 8 air tankers, 2 Very Large Air Tankers (VLATS), and 8 Helicopters, including night flying helicopters. Additional firefighters and equipment have been ordered and will be responding directly to the fire. The Bluecut Fire started on August 16, 2016 at 10:36 AM

For those curious this is 46 square miles.

There are 7 MANDATORY evacuation areas
http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CABDF/2016-08-16-1443-Bluecut-Fire/related_files/pict20160717-003451-0.pdf

Cedar
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:22:38 AM by Cedar »

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 10:23:22 AM »
Additional firefighters and equipment have been ordered and will be responding directly to the fire.
Cedar

The local news reported that many San Diego Firefighters are already there and many more are on their way.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 11:45:21 AM »
I keep hearing reports of ammunition cooking off as houses catch fire. That's pretty consistent with the types of people living in this area.  We like our guns out here.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 03:01:41 PM »
2 pm Californian time
- LytleCreek in imminent danger. Gusts 50 Knots from So. to North. Jumping Fire Retardant against wind.
- Flames jumped over Phos-Chek line, burning toward Lytle Creek amid strong wind gusts
- Cadaver dogs coming in looking for victims (which means they think there are victims)

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 03:16:24 PM »
From authorities:
"While drones have not been seen over the Bluecut Fire, fire managers would like to remind the public that hobby drones, or (UAS) unmanned aircraft systems, pose a major safety threat to firefighting pilots and firefighters. When a hobby drone is flown into a fire area, incident commanders have no choice but to suspend air operations and ground aircraft until the drone is removed from the area. "

- 34,506 structures threatened from this fire as of this update.

-  4,500 people near the #BlueCutFire are resisting evacuation orders.

- A firefighter says, "In 40 years of firefighting I have never seen a fire act so extreme, Blue Cut Fire is burning against the wind, downhill, jumping fire retardant lines.

- From Edwards AFB, "I-15 is closed 10 mi. north & south of Cajon Pass. Lytle Creek in imminent danger. Wrightwood is under mandatory evacuation."

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 03:35:57 PM »
- Someone did not move the horses. Mountain Lakes Resort, Lyttle Creek, fire is very near equestrian center! I am guessing it is this one (if not more), and it possibly has over 100 horses at it.
https://www.newhorse.com/page/horseboarding/b.510.g.31146.html?page=all

Cedar

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 03:46:52 PM »
I expect this fire will result in a very large loss of domesticated animals. Too fast moving and unpredictable. A lady interviewed on the news said she opened the gate for her cows to run away but last she saw in the rear-view mirror was they were going the wrong way.  She and her husband got in the car with two German Shepard dogs and the clothes on their backs. A lot of people are losing everything.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 03:55:21 PM »
said she opened the gate for her cows to run away but last she saw in the rear-view mirror was they were going the wrong way. 

They always do.. I cut fences if I have time. After my large fire near my farm in Canada, we went out Morel hunting the next season after the fire and found 6 cattle remains where they got caught up in a fence corner and burnt.

Cedar

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 04:38:39 PM »
- Someone did not move the horses.
Cedar

When we have had fires around here, most of the owners want to move their horses but often don't have enough trailers or trailer space to carry them.  There is a place for them to go - just no way to get them there.  Often times the media will put out a request to the public for horse trailers and people are really generous.  But this fire came on so quickly and has spread so quickly, and so many roads are closed, and traffic is insane on the roads that are open, that volunteers could probably not help out.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 06:29:05 PM »
So I've been following this fire all day at work.  After work, I walked out into the parking lot and saw this:

That is in the direction of my house.  So I decided to take the PITA, right through the 'hood', street route home rather than take the highway.  Good decision on my part.  The fire has closed part of the highway east of my home so traffic is backed up for miles. The news says it is near Steele Canyon High School.  6 miles from my house.  But the news is now saying the fire is under control

This was what I saw when I got home:

(Spring Valley/Rancho San Diego in east San Diego County)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:36:01 PM by Ms. Albatross »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 06:41:50 PM »
But the news is now saying the fire is under control

There are three fires in the area. Blue Cut Fire is NOT under control.

1. The Basin Fire started today at approximately 3:02PM north of the of Foothill between Sterling and Quail Canyon Rd. in the city of San Bernardino. The fire quickly became established on the hillside and spread into the San Bernardino National Forest. A swift and decisive response by the San Bernardino County Fire Department and US Forest Service held the fire to 40 acres. Firefighters will work through the evening and Tuesday constructing and improving fireline as well as extinguishing hot spots within the fire perimeter.
The fire remains at 40 acres and in currently 50% contained.

2. Pilot Fire. The Pilot Fire is located between Pilot Rock Ridge and State Highway 173 in Hesperia. The Pilot Fire started at about 12:10 pm on Sunday August 7 near the Miller Canyon OHV area off of Highway 138. The Forest Service is in Unified Command with CALFIRE, San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department other cooperating agencies include California Highway Patrol, California Office of Emergency Services, San Bernardino County Office of Emergency Services, Bureau of Land Management, CALTRANS and Southern California Edison.
The fire is currently 8110 acres and 100% contained. This will be the final update.

3. Blue Cut Fire. Over 30,000 acres. Updated acreage amounts to me announced soon. 0% contained.

Cedar

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 06:44:49 PM »
Blue Cut Fire is NOT under control.

Cedar

Oh, I agree.  I was speaking of the fire that is less than 6 miles from my house in San Diego.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 07:42:08 PM »
So I've been following this fire all day at work. 

Gotcha.. I thought you meant THIS fire...

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 08:07:15 PM »
Evening Update:
The fire is currently 25,626 acres and 4% containment with 1,584 personnel on scene. 178 engines, 26 crews, 10 air tankers, 2 Very Large Air Tankers (VLATS), and 17 Helicopters, including night flying helicopters. Additional firefighters and equipment have been ordered and will be responding directly to the fire.

This fire is still growing. An estimated 34,500 homes and 82,640 people are being affected by the evacuation warnings.

Cedar

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 08:57:31 PM »
Some pics.....

View last night at dusk, the lens makes it appear lighter than it actually was.  Notice the flames at the ridge-line and the clouds back-lit by the flames below, and if you look close you'll see a couple aircraft flying toward the fire.

Same perspective when I got home late this afternoon, notice the smoke has spread from Cajon Pass toward Wrightwood in the west.

The air tanker traffic was light today and virtually dead this afternoon.  It's weird because last week there were planes taking off every few minutes to the Pilot Fire, but not much today, not even close to yesterday.  It may be because this fire jumped several phos-chek lines today like they weren't even there, but it's also possible that the action is down in canyons where the helicopters have an easier time. 

I went to the airbase after work and it was nearly dead, save for a news chopper taking off after refueling, a spotter plane returning to base, and the executive plane for Aero Flite (company that owns the tankers) taking off.

I've never seen the tanker that's in the background of the helicopter pic, apparently it's a converted BAE 146 commuter jet that really moves.  Last week for the Pilot Fire I could look out my building downtown and see at least one of these 4 engine planes in the air at all times.  Compared to the lumbering DC-10 VLAT, or even similarly sized turboprops, it seems to be quite a nimble plane that can manage far more runs in a given time period.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2016, 11:13:03 PM »
My brother stayed with me because he could not get home  to his place in Victorville. Closure of the i15 has caused many headaches. They did open up one alternative route through Crestline the next day. There are alternative routes but they are the long way around. I imagine the scenic Route 66 road that parallels the 15 freeway is toast.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 12:00:55 AM »

Dusk tonight

10:30 tonight

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 12:11:27 AM »
If it were not so dangerous and destructive, that would be beautiful. About how far away are you when you took those?

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 12:12:35 AM »
UPDATE:
08/17/2016 - 10:15pm, the 215/1-5 NB connector will re-open. Shortly there after, the I-15 NB will be fully open through the Cajon Pass.

Cedar

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 12:27:26 AM »
About how far away are you when you took those?

All the shots are from around 20 miles away.