Author Topic: 3 people killed in Mass homicide by crossbow in Toronto, CA  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
3 people killed in Mass homicide by crossbow in Toronto, CA
« on: August 25, 2016, 03:48:53 PM »
Three people have been killed in Toronto, with one of the fatalities believed to be caused by a crossbow
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37187538?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

- Suspicious package on Queens Quay in Toronto linked to 3 people killed with crossbow in Scarborough. Bomb squad has been called in.

- Police said two of the victims were male and the third victim was a woman. Confirmed that a fourth person at the scene had been taken into custody.

Evidently one incident was outside

Cedar
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:54:01 PM by Cedar »

nkawtg

Re: 3 people killed in Mass homicide by crossbow in Toronto, CA
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 04:48:58 PM »
This just points out that if a person is motivated to take life, they'll use what they can get.
Gun control is pointless.

Did the attacker yell "Admiral Ackbar"?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
This just points out that if a person is motivated to take life, they'll use what they can get.

How are they going to ban hands?

Cedar

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 07:31:48 AM »
     Was it an "assault" crossbow?

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 08:27:20 AM »
Gun control is pointless.

I am sure if you could get handguns out of vending machines in Canada the perpetrator would still have used a crossbow.  ::)

Likewise I am sure that if you could get firearms out of vending machines in Europe all these machete attacks would still have been perpetrated with machetes and even were guns used the incidents would not have caused any more casualties.  Not only that, but they all would have instantly been stopped by armed citizens.  Because the explosion of permitted and permitless carry in the last few decades has definitively reduced the number of mass shootings in the US.  ::)

I wholeheartedly support firearms ownership and permitless carry.  But the oversimplified "gun control laws are pointless" argument just doesn't hold water.  Nations with decades of strong gun control laws do seem to have largely kept guns out of the hands of low motivation and even some high motivation criminal actors.  This does seem to lower the death toll in those countries, certainly on a averaged per incident basis. 

As for the US, I like our system of prizing individual choice.  I think the hen-pecked idea that less guns (all circumstances) lead to less dead people (all types) is short sighted.  Its about the right people being dead, its also about preventing affronts to the rights and dignity of people.  Some do not think the risk of having a handgun in society is worth it when if it is used defensively it will likely simply be used to scare off a criminal, however I am of the opinion that the prevention of victimization (even if the victim might have lived) is more important than whether or not either person gets dead. My father was robbed at gun point while in the military in the 60s.  He said it was a bad experience, not knowing whether you were going to live or die, and knowing you were at the mercy of others. 

To quote Jeff Cooper from Principle of Personal Defense, "It is high time for society to stop worrying about the criminal, and to let the criminal start worrying about society. And by 'society' I mean you"

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 09:09:48 AM »
I am sure if you could get handguns out of vending machines in Canada the perpetrator would still have used a crossbow.  ::)

Or a snowshoe.

Actually when I was in Canada I could borrow a gun any time I asked. There are more than you think. At least where I was.
This is all the murders in the Vancouver Metro area in 2015-2016. No idea if there was a gun involved, but they are still dead.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=18u0QER64-OR_Kacg_EoKQpDUU5g&hl=en

Cedar

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 09:43:01 AM »
If memory serves from Top Gear and Survivorman there are places in Canada which require people to bring rifles for safety. From my experience with Canadians the gun laws are rough in the cities but pretty relaxed as you go rural. Nothing sways the gun control debate like a polar bear in camp.

Murder predates guns, bows, knives, and clubs.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 09:45:03 AM »
Yes, many of my friends who worked in the bush or oilfields often had to carry large rifles due to grizzlies. Grizzlies are always in a bad mood.

Cedar

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »

Likewise I am sure that if you could get firearms out of vending machines in Europe all these machete attacks would still have been perpetrated with machetes and even were guns used the incidents would not have caused any more casualties.  Not only that, but they all would have instantly been stopped by armed citizens.  Because the explosion of permitted and permitless carry in the last few decades has definitively reduced the number of mass shootings in the US.  ::)

I wholeheartedly support firearms ownership and permitless carry.  But the oversimplified "gun control laws are pointless" argument just doesn't hold water.  Nations with decades of strong gun control laws do seem to have largely kept guns out of the hands of low motivation and even some high motivation criminal actors.  This does seem to lower the death toll in those countries, certainly on a averaged per incident basis. 

As for the US, I like our system of prizing individual choice.  I think the hen-pecked idea that less guns (all circumstances) lead to less dead people (all types) is short sighted.  Its about the right people being dead, its also about preventing affronts to the rights and dignity of people.  Some do not think the risk of having a handgun in society is worth it when if it is used defensively it will likely simply be used to scare off a criminal, however I am of the opinion that the prevention of victimization (even if the victim might have lived) is more important than whether or not either person gets dead. My father was robbed at gun point while in the military in the 60s.  He said it was a bad experience, not knowing whether you were going to live or die, and knowing you were at the mercy of others. 

To quote Jeff Cooper from Principle of Personal Defense, "It is high time for society to stop worrying about the criminal, and to let the criminal start worrying about society. And by 'society' I mean you"

You'll also note that most mass shootings take place in locations that prohibit the lawful carry of arms...   ::)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 12:00:14 PM »
You'll also note that most mass shootings take place in locations that prohibit the lawful carry of arms...   ::)
Are you saying that they will stop if that changed?  I don't think they would, less victims perhaps, but the anti-social f*ckwits that do these things will not take up crochet instead of killing people just because they get popped after killing 5 people rather than 15.

I say again, I like carry, I wish more would do it.  I don't want any off limits areas.  However, carry will not "solve" the problem. 

It is a problem because the populace generally thinks it is a problem, no matter how frequent it is compared to some time in the past.  It will not be "solved" until the population are not worried about it any more.  How do we "solve" it?  Bear in mind how I defined "solve,"  there are theoretically ways to solve it that involve no actual change in number and type of incidents. 

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 02:20:13 PM »
The problem is a people issue though, not a gun issue.  If they don't use guns they will use bombs, trucks, crossbows, planes, etc.  The people in this country have a right to arms not only for defense of self, but from a tyrannical government. 

If the majority of the adult populace (say, 75% or more) was walking around armed, yes I do believe mass shootings would essentially stop, depending on the statistics that are used to define "mass".  This is a poor example as guns are generally required to be unloaded at them, but when was the last time there was a mass shooting at a gun show, or a shooting range?  I can't remember any personally.  These people choose soft targets for a reason.

I also believe it would help if the media would black list mass shooters as well.  Give them no fame, don't print their name or face anywhere.  I think a lot of these people do it for the legacy, they have to know they are going to die in the process, I don't think anyone has survived their own mass shooting. 

Offline Wild Colonial Boy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 03:22:52 PM »
Interesting thread but I am not sure what any of the previous posts about "gun control" have to do with a multiple-homicide in Canada. Just saying....