Author Topic: Can we learn from states with AWB?  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Can we learn from states with AWB?
« on: February 28, 2018, 03:20:03 PM »
Not intending to be alarmist, also not intending to be defeatist about things.

But in the event you could not legally possess a normally equipped AR-15, how would you substitute it legally given regulations of places like CA/CT/NY/NJ/etc ?

Do you neuter the rifle's features until it's a legally compliant shadow of it's former self?  Removing the pistol grip, pin the magazine, etc?
Or do you change up things completely and go with a lever action rifle? Something else?

As preppers we often talk about self-sufficient means to produce food, energy and other resources.  This might be a helpful thought experiment.
Any suggestions are welcomed.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Can we learn from states with AWB?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 04:07:25 PM »
I have heard of many being altered in CA to comply. SO, same features as, for example, a mini 14, but black polymer stock and easy ability to connect accessories.......lighter than the mini-14, can use all ar platform 3 point slings, lights, sighting options. Reduced capacity magazine, or course, but no longer needing a bullet button, so can eject magazine -- this is my understanding hearing them talk about it.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 04:08:34 PM »
Neutered ARs suck, but neutering is reversible if circumstances change, so that option beats turning it in.

Otherwise look towards something like a Garand, an M1A, or a Keltec SU.  Anything without the stigma of a pistol grip. 

I also have at least one non-semiautomatic weapon for each round I stock, with the exception of 9 and 40 (which I probably should work on).

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 04:15:24 PM »
are 22's assault weapons ?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 04:22:10 PM »
are 22's assault weapons ?

You can get a pistol grip stock of a Ruger 10/22, and (for the moment) I can get 25 round "banana" magazines for them.  If loaded with high velocity CCI stingers, it's not anything to laugh at.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 04:28:27 PM »
I also have at least one non-semiautomatic weapon for each round I stock, with the exception of 9 and 40 (which I probably should work on).

I wouldn't sweat it.  If you are really paranoid you can find plans for home workshop 9mm guns using commonly available hardware store parts. Otherwise you get some exotic (expensive) revolver that requires moon-clips.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 02:03:21 AM »
  Don't overlook the low cost ammo and capacity with capability of the lever action carbine . They are ergonomic,flat,easy to carry,and have that non tactical appearance that does not carry the stigma of evil that many give the AR15. The 357 magnum carries plenty of power and game capability...plus very effective for zombies and less prone to semi auto feed problems under harsh conditions. Semi auto,while nice will cause one to be MORE EXPOSED in prone shooting due to large magazine profile and while the semi auto fires FASTER ,it often is with loss of accuracy.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »
  Don't overlook the low cost ammo and capacity with capability of the lever action carbine . They are ergonomic,flat,easy to carry,and have that non tactical appearance that does not carry the stigma of evil that many give the AR15. The 357 magnum carries plenty of power and game capability...plus very effective for zombies and less prone to semi auto feed problems under harsh conditions. Semi auto,while nice will cause one to be MORE EXPOSED in prone shooting due to large magazine profile and while the semi auto fires FASTER ,it often is with loss of accuracy.

From my experience, when you are firing a gun with a lower round capacity, more care is taken with each shot.
At least for me, I shoot a bolt gun much more carefully compared to a semi-auto rifle. Really nothing to do with mechanical accuracy of the ammo or gun, but each shot is more precious in my mind, so I concentrate just a bit more.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 03:23:02 PM »
  Carl,
Don't forget that you can short stroke a lever action rifle. I did that on my first deer. After I shot it it ran in front of me and stopped. I couldn't get a second round into the chamber. After three or four seconds it bounced away and dropped dead. That's one I won't forget.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »
  Carl,
Don't forget that you can short stroke a lever action rifle. I did that on my first deer. After I shot it it ran in front of me and stopped. I couldn't get a second round into the chamber. After three or four seconds it bounced away and dropped dead. That's one I won't forget.

PRACTICE with your lever guns...as semi autos require proper magazine and alignment,ammo consistency,clean action,support for action cycle,proper lubrication and lever guns rely on the shooter...blame the gun?

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 08:35:57 PM »
PRACTICE with your lever guns...as semi autos require proper magazine and alignment,ammo consistency,clean action,support for action cycle,proper lubrication and lever guns rely on the shooter...blame the gun?

I spent years drilling with a pump shotgun. In my sleep I can do a slug changeover or feed the ejection port off a side saddle. Say what you will about semi auto rifles but when I've seen Chicago PD demonstrate shotgun handling I've never more feared a weapon. They use a shotgun to put a "beat zone" like a WWII machine gunner (which a lot of them did). A lot of the old guys kept the shotgun rather than the AR.

I don't think there is a 'best gun'. I think a lot of us will  find that with different strengths different guns make sense. Being on a quarter acre a shotgun makes sense. If I was on a Montana ranch I'd want a 600 yard gun. Probably bolt action.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 08:47:54 PM »
Carl,
  Your right about practice. I was the one who short stroked the gun. Lever action guns need to be handled with authority.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 03:57:12 AM »
I spent years drilling with a pump shotgun. In my sleep I can do a slug changeover or feed the ejection port off a side saddle. Say what you will about semi auto rifles but when I've seen Chicago PD demonstrate shotgun handling I've never more feared a weapon. They use a shotgun to put a "beat zone" like a WWII machine gunner (which a lot of them did). A lot of the old guys kept the shotgun rather than the AR.

I don't think there is a 'best gun'. I think a lot of us will  find that with different strengths different guns make sense. Being on a quarter acre a shotgun makes sense. If I was on a Montana ranch I'd want a 600 yard gun. Probably bolt action.

During Viet Nam,often downed pilots were retrieved from the jungle with a man in a drop basket to penetrate the tree cover and pick up the downed pilot. The helicopter made a marker to bad guys as it hovered low over canopy and lowered the basket. The rescue man in that basket had a 'come and get me' situation and any area bad guys  were prone t take advantage....that man ,most always,carried a pump shotgun as at that time ,it put the most awesome quantity of fear and lead in the air with 9 thirty cal projectiles per tug of the trigger ...it was a reliable wall of lead for the exposed men.

Offline buckaroo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 06:13:00 PM »
I am in CA, have done a lot of research, and 'if' I had an AR15, I would go to one of the magazine pinning takedown pins...there are several with varying degrees of difficulty to install and operate..... none very difficult. And frankly there is only a delay of about 2 seconds between a rifle equipped this way and a standard AR. Makes very little real world difference. Here is one video: https://jtactical.com/products/ca-compliant-ar-mod-kit-featureless-ar-alternative

The morons that make up and pass these laws have no clue. But their real intention anyway is to simply take these guns away. From us all....I would be watching CA if I were outside the state, because it may happen to you too...

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 04:46:25 PM »

I managed to snag a 10mm Ruger GP100 on sale today.  Nice to finally have a wheel gun capable of digesting my .40 stockpile.