Author Topic: Air sources for PCP? Shoebox compressor?  (Read 3284 times)

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
Air sources for PCP? Shoebox compressor?
« on: September 11, 2016, 08:10:26 AM »
Has anybody tried the Shoebox compressor?

http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/product

Seems like for PCP options are:
1. Hand pump
2. Dive shop/scuba tank/highly compressed air from local fire department
3. Spend a wheelbarrow full of money for a 3000 psi compressor.
4. Spend a shoebox full of money on the shoebox compressor & stock up on replaceable parts.

Am currently filling a scuba tank at my local VFD w/a pump as backup, but I saw a post by IKN about this compressor and am wondering if it's any good (or if anybody's got a better idea for PCP).
The fact that the manufacturer designed it so that ordinary mortals can do maintenance AND keep a large stock of parts on-hand is REALLY appealing - if it works...

Offline IKN

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Air sources for PCP? Shoebox compressor?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:32:24 AM »
I don't own a PCP, but was considering purchasing one which is how I ran across the Shoe Box compressor. More recently, I was watching a YouTube video by Air Guns South Africa (if I remember correctly). One of the episodes he does some reviews of his equipment and has another brand of compressor (don't remember the brand), do some price checking.
Consider how much you use your PCP, while it would be cheaper and more convenient to have your own compressor, consider how long it would take to offset the cost of the compressor.
I've even seen homemade rigs that hook up a motor to a hand pump. Be careful if you go this route, hand pumps build up a lot of heat even using manually. I know they suggest stopping after so many pumps to allow cooling. This will be even more important if being operated by a motor as it will cycle faster.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:03:24 AM »
TwangandBang did a comparative review last week of shoebox vs the Air Venturi Electric Compressor.  You might want to add that to your list of options:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9jBzcTnv76I

Also, the slingshot channel recently showed how you could take a hand pump and use a motor to drive it like IKN mentioned. That was the chespest automated option overall.  I cant find the video right now but think  it was in the last three months.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »
Found the video for "World's Ugliest, Lousiest 4000 psi compressor. Ever. Guaranteed.": https://youtube.com/watch?v=hW79Bie_GBU  But it works!

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 11:51:55 PM »
Woo hoo!  $200  4500 PSI compressor!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7NdnItyJs-U

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »
+1 IA4L!  Just bought one from AliExpress after doing a little googling.  Chase required a 10 min phonecall to confirm I wanted to spend $350 w/a Chinese company (shipping is EXPENSIVE) and I guess I'll receive it in 2 - 3 weeks.  Will followup after I've used it a few times. Thanks again!

Offline sharpshooterofky

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 08:43:10 AM »
I believe that the Nomad Compressor shows promise.   I've been researching, waiting for some time. I knew about the compressor Jorge speaks of (the slingshot channel), been waiting a long time for a review type of video.  If it's Jorge approved, it's good enough for me.   So I've been saving, to buy that compressor and then I seen the Nomad.  After you calculate shipping etc, you're close to what the Nomad sells for.   I like the Nomad because it's small, self-contained and it can be run off of a car battery, I really like that part.   So I've changed "gears" again and really considering the Nomad.  Now I hoping to see a "real life" review of it but haven't found one yet. 

Have any of you heard of or have any experience with the Nomad?  I'd be interested in any kind of "real life" experience or knowledge you can share.

Nomad Compressor by Air Venturi
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Venturi_Nomad_4500_PSI_Portable_Compressor/8460

New Member - First time poster...

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 07:49:35 AM »
Thanks for the links; I had picked up a PCP style pellet rifle to help control squirrels.  While not overly impressed with the max distance, but for short range work it worked well.

For the larger pellet rifles you can find bullet molds that could work with your rifle.  So you could recycle even the damaged bullets into new plinking rounds.

Air Venturi Nomad 4500 PSI Portable Compressor while not cheap, does give easy access to compressed air.  There is a larger version of the compressor for about 2.6x the cost. (under  1300)