Author Topic: What kind of boots do you recommend?  (Read 6828 times)

Offline BillyS

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • Scarydad
What kind of boots do you recommend?
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:32:06 PM »
Hey all, I am in need of some hunting/camping/work boots and need some recommendations.

The details:

Bro-in-law and I will be working pretty extensively on his 16-acre piece of land. The area is pretty flat, although there is a creek that runs through the middle of the property, so I will encounter water and mud pretty regularly. We will be doing regenerative agriculture, hunting, camping, and general recreation.

What I'm looking for: Waterproof, ankle-high, multi-purpose boots that I can wear out to a deer blind in November without freezing but also hopefully stomp in a creek bed in summer. I am in the Houston area so one pair should cover all seasons.

Let's not worry about a budget for right now. I'd rather pay a little but more and get everything in one pair that will last.

What do you say?

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: What kind of boots do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 01:33:08 AM »
Danner Rain forest is what I wear.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 03:04:07 PM »
I've got a pair of Lowa boots I've been pretty happy with.  I use them for everything from hiking, to hunting, to yard work.  Mine are not waterproof though, I prefer a more breathable boot for day to day. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 05:35:45 PM »
Red Wings for price and quality...you need your feet properly protected.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 06:06:15 AM »
My two favorites are Ecco and Red Wing. Eccos are a little lighter and more comfortable once broken in and Red Wings are beefier and offer more support and protection.

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 02:47:33 PM »
I have a pair of schnee's pack boots thoare great for fall hunting in NW Ohio, but could be warmer in the winter!  Waterproof and rebuildable for a possibly reasonable price... Everything else they sell, that's another story!

Online surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »

I saw this article on winter boots .. The best boots will not be the cheapest ..
I like Salamon boots and ASOLO boots. I think keene boots are good too

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-winter-boots-for-men-and-women/

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »
The ones that fit you best is really the ONLY answer.  Each brand will have a specific last that they use.  Not all are equal or shaped the same.  One must find one that fits the shape of their foot. 

I've had many pairs of boots that I really like:  Merrel, Vasque, Danner, North Face (winter boots), Keen.  Keen makes a lightweight, waterproof boot they call a "workboot."  Might be something to look at.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 05:23:53 PM »
I like Keen and Danner for work boots. Keen typically has the lighter more flexible sole (EVA or similar foam style as in running shoes).  I have the Detroit model for a light summer work shoe, but it is not all leather, so it is not good for snow or very cold conditions.  The Pittsburg model is a bit more robust and both come in plain toe or safety toe.

The Danners I have are the 6" Corvalis which is a medium weight boot with Goretex liner and is great for most work in all but the worst conditions.  My heavy boot is the 8" Quarry model which is thick all-leather and very robust.  I use it for snow and working with rock and timber.  Great ankle support. Both have safety toes although they might be available with plain toe as well.  The Rain Forest model is even more sturdy for professional work in the woods (short of caulks--pronounced as "corks").  These all have heavy welted soles that are stiffer than the EVA ones in the Keen models which are overkill for working around the house, but welcome in protecting your feet amongst rocks and heavy wood.  I think all Danner models above $250 or so are USA made, wheres lower priced models are made in China, etc like most boot brands.

I have had these boots for 5-10 years and they are holding up well.  I haven't needed the Quarry boots for a while so they are in great shape.  The Corvalis and Detroit boots get daily wear and abuse (mud, job site, yard work, firewood) and they are still in good shape.  The Detroit soles are starting to get nicks in them as it is a softer sole than the heavier Corvalis.  Sharp broken rocks, metal edges, etc can cut up fabric boots quickly, but good leather will withstand those working boot cuts much, much better.

For year-round use in one boot (not including snow) you might look at the Danner Corvalis or Keen Pittsburg. There are plenty of other good boot brands as well.  I have Solomon trail shoes that are fantastic so I imagine their boots are excellent as well.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 05:27:33 PM »
I'm gonna also recommend KEEN. I have a wide toe but a regular fit everywhere else, so the asymmetrical fit of them suits my feet better than any other shoe. I bought a pair of their safety-toe shoes when I was working in a woodshop, and they were excellent. Comfortable and held up to a substantial beating. I've found the same to be true of their other shoes as well. I'll confess though, my main hiking shoes are Columbia, only because they were on clearance and happened to fit nicely. When those wear out, I'll be going with KEEN for sure.

Though I also agree with Fyrediver, whatever shoe fits your particular foot the best is the best choice. Be picky, and try on lots of different pairs.

Offline shortt304

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 06:05:28 PM »
Although they are above the ankle I have fallen in love with my Meindl Denalis.   On my feet all day (6-8 hours) @330 lbs and I have eliminated most of my related foot and back pain.   Easy to spray off the mud.   They don't get gunked up with mud in the tread.  Fantastic fit with the memory foam inside.   I switch back and forth with my steal toe Bates GX-8's only when OSHA requires as they feel like...combat boots.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »
I've got a pair of Lowa boots I've been pretty happy with.  I use them for everything from hiking, to hunting, to yard work.  Mine are not waterproof though, I prefer a more breathable boot for day to day.

^^^^^ Tend to be easier to break-in, last longer than most, and are comfortable.  Have had good luck with Crispi's too.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 11:43:05 PM »
I bought my first set of decent boots about 7 months ago, RedWing 218 Loggers. They are great and the first boots I've worn where my feet don't hurt when I get home. I don't think they are going to last though. I've already got cuts and gouges on the toe of the right one. They've opened up and are just getting worse as time goes on.

One of these days I'm just going to break down and get a custom pair of boots made.

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 07:43:05 AM »
and ASOLO boots.

I used to love that brand, but after four pairs, they just don't last on my feet... The rubberized inter sole material dissentigrated in less than a year during one summer of manual labor!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 08:05:09 AM »
From doing farm work daily, I chose three pairs.

North Face hiking boots. I like them as they put up with my abuse. Acid soils/mud, and don't fall apart, they were my main boot for work, and I still wore them recreationally. After seven years of almost daily a use, I finally had to replace the. As the sole was thinning and starting to fall apart. The uppers are still in good shape. Not knowing I was getting the same pair, north face was pretty excited when they saw my old pair. The new pair is water resistant, and still get worn for my job daily.

Muck boots. $100+ a pair, but worth it.  Get insulated ones. I also wear them when I am working bees.

Sorrels winter boots. I got a little taller than hiking boots ones. For many years I ran sled dogs with these and did farm work. The only thing wrong with them, after thousands of documented miles, right where your heel bends, I wore out that spot on both boots. The rest of them are fine.

Cedar

Offline kevinsims

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »
I have a pair of GBX work boots. I'm pretty sure they're a cheap brand, idk. But I've had them for about 5 years now. They're good for working, and I wear them a lot in the winter, but they wouldn't be too go for hiking.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 10:43:57 AM »
I have a pair of GBX work boots. I'm pretty sure they're a cheap brand, idk. But I've had them for about 5 years now. They're good for working, and I wear them a lot in the winter, but they wouldn't be too go for hiking.

Sometimes cheap boots will surprise you.  I bought a pair of plain leather hiking boots (no lining, very plain!) at an REI sale back in 1970 for $5.  I wore them for hiking, roofing, lawn mowing and yard work, light construction, etc and they just would not wear out.  I rarely even treated them with anything because I was sure they would not last. Maybe some SnoSeal every few years. They are severely scuffed and nicked, still have splotches of roofing tar, a few lace eyes are pulling out, and the Vibram sole is almost smooth. I just retired them a couple of years ago, though they are STILL usable.  About 45 years of hard use (not daily) for $5.  Sometimes you get lucky.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 11:35:54 AM »
I need to restart this thread because after a weekend of pulling out a boat, lift, and dock I noticed my beloved Ecco boots are meeting their maker.  :'( After a summer of doing concrete work and a decade of 'around the house' work (including the cabin) they are just plain falling apart. Amazingly it's the synthetic bottom material that's giving way; the leather is still solid. So I'm in the market for a new workboot for yardwork. Here's basically a very similar model to what I have:

https://us.ecco.com/ecco-mens-rugged-track-gtx-hi-838024.html?dwvar_838024_color=51052#start=1

I also have a pair of Red Wing steel toes this model (I think):

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/2406-red-wing-shoes/2406-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

They're awesome if you don't mind 5 lb ankle weights on each foot. But when I'm running a chainsaw and felling trees it's nice to know my feet are as protected as possible.

I also have a pair of Keen winter boots which are in my mind the gold standard if you want light warm boots.

But I'm looking to replace the Eccos. I want a medium duty (no steel toe) work boot that lets me stand in 3" of water and not get my feet wet. Sounds like a crazy thing but when the Eccos were new I could do just that. I guess what I'm saying is I need a new "in between" work boot. I have a pair of slip on plastic "steel toe" Red Wings I use while working in my shop and love them. My heavy duty Red Wings are great when I'm running heavy equipment and things are falling near my toes. But I need a new middle ground. I'm probably a year or so out from actually buying because my Eccos are on their last legs but those legs are still hobbling along. But I'm paying attention because the right boot lasts a decade so I only plan to buy 3 more in my life.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
Nice thing about Redwings is that when the soles wear out you don't need to buy new. Return them to the factory for resoling at a fraction of the cost of new. About half last I knew. Just for what it's worth.

Online surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »

I was just thinking, what kind of boots do those who hike the Appalachian trail use ? How can you hike every day like that for so many miles ? What if your boots get wet, what kind of socks ? Do you have to wash your sox on the trail ? 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 08:25:55 PM »
the hubs swears by Danner... he just got a new pair of the Pronghorn boot

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WRJ7BN6/ref=dp_prsubs_2

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 09:08:01 PM »
I think I've given up on heavy boots. I've switched to a lightweight pair of sketcher safety shoes. Got the slip resistant soles and steel toe just doesn't weigh 12 pounds each. So much better at the end of the day. Will they last? No. My USA made redwings didn't last 2 years and I even took extra good care of them. Not worth the 400 I spent on them. Mind is changed, shoes are a disposable and are treated as such in my house.

Offline cannonball

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Working towards being an ant
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 07:25:37 AM »
I was just thinking, what kind of boots do those who hike the Appalachian trail use ? How can you hike every day like that for so many miles ? What if your boots get wet, what kind of socks ? Do you have to wash your sox on the trail ?

I know a couple that have done the AT and they wore/wear trail runners for the weight savings

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 08:16:36 AM »
I think I've given up on heavy boots. I've switched to a lightweight pair of sketcher safety shoes. Got the slip resistant soles and steel toe just doesn't weigh 12 pounds each. So much better at the end of the day. Will they last? No. My USA made redwings didn't last 2 years and I even took extra good care of them. Not worth the 400 I spent on them. Mind is changed, shoes are a disposable and are treated as such in my house.

You're in good company. I can't speak to Sketchers but a lot of people I know in the food industry wear Converse safety shoes. The lighter tennis shoe style is a lot more comfortable for indoor wear. I opted for the Red Wing gunboats because a bad day for me meant an extruder backing up and dumping molten hot cereal grains all over me and then cleaning the pilot plant with high pressure steam.

For my yardwork boot I'm looking for something different. I don't need a steel toe and my safety  conceerns are much more based on not slipping on oil or the wet rocks at the cabin. I want to not care that I'm in inches of standing water or mud. I still pull out the steel toes to do heavy machine work or if I'm doing demo work but I want something in between for when I need to climb a ladder or plant a tree or something like that.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 12:05:27 PM »

Thru-hikers on the much more rugged PCT typically wear running shoes and change their socks multiple times per day, washing and drying on the go. 

Online surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »

These are some of the boots that caught my eye based on past experience and recommended for the Appalachian trail.

Do people hike in wet boots ? That must be tough on the feet and for catching a cold. Need to hike in the summer when it's warm I guess

Right now I have a pair of Adidas boots that look like a sneaker so I can probably wear them at the gym as they only allow sneakers at the gym

Some of these are expensive but a friend of mine has gotten them cheap as she gets returns from were she works

Salomon boots, I have a pair that I really like, it may not be this exact one but it looks a lot like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Mens-Ultra-Trek-Backpacking/dp/B012ATOQKI

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KHRV77/ref=as_at/?imprToken=ZCy3xOnasWrIokPr5HMauQ&slotNum=16&ie=UTF8&tag=ultrarevie-20&creative=9325&linkCode=w61&creativeASIN=B074KHRV77&linkId=e6edca69ee563c7a96d9e83e79ee1f4a

Merril Moab, I do like these and have had a couple pairs

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=merrell%20moab%20ventilator%20mid&ir=q%3Amerrell%20moab%20ventilator%20mid&page=1&cm_mmc=aff_AL-_-126095-_-151515-_-NA&avad=151515_c138eae21&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fsearch.html%3Fq%3Dmerrell%2520moab%2520ventilator%2520mid%26ir%3Dq%253Amerrell%2520moab%2520ventilator%2520mid%26page%3D1%26cm_mmc%3Daff_AL-_-126095-_-151515-_-NA%26avad%3D151515_c138eae21&avad=151515_c138eae21

keen seems good, I think I have had some of those

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J5F8VO/ref=as_at/?imprToken=ZCy3xOnasWrIokPr5HMauQ&slotNum=4&ie=UTF8&tag=ultrarevie-20&creative=9325&linkCode=w61&creativeASIN=B008J5F8VO&linkId=495b558516c83dd0270b01f885bc0db8

https://sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/10-best-hiking-boots-trail-shoes-2018/

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 04:48:44 PM »
My goto all around boot is the Asolo Fugitive GTX:  https://www.rei.com/product/706762/asolo-fugitive-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

I’ve probably had at least 8 pairs in the last 15 years.  I watch for sales and try to keep a new pair in reserve all the time.  It must have a sizable fan base because they haven’t changed a bit since I’ve been wearing them.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
As a teen/young adult I had a pair of Merrel Moab's that lasted the better part of a decade of moderate duty hiking (many 100+ mile backpack trips). 

As a not-so-young adult I had another pair of leather Merrel that lasted the better part of a decade as well.  A lot less hiking, but a lot more yard work, gardening and light home improvement type stuff.  They are still my go-to around the house.  Waterproof, above the ankle, reinforced soles (not metal though).  I guess they don't make them anymore because I don't see them on their site...  These are close, but not quite.
https://www.merrell.com/US/en/phaserbound-waterproof/23644M.html?dwvar_23644M_color=J32745#cgid=men-footwear-boots&start=1

I have a pair of the steel-toed Sketcher shoes too.  Beyond chopping wood, I rarely wear them though.  Maybe if I were doing more heavy lifting or something where the value of my toes were to be put at risk I'd change my mind.  I'm just not a huge fan of steel-toed shoes as a backyard wear.

I have bought a pair of Solomon mid-ankle boots.  I don't recall the style.  But they lock my heel in much better than any other boot I've ever worn (you know what they say about guys with narrow feet...).  Love them.  Wished I had them in my younger years. 

AP trail:  I have 3 friends who hiked the trail.  All started with boots.  All switched to light weight runners within the first few weeks on the trail.  They all said they went through multiple pairs of shoes, but I don't recall what the average # was. 

Side plug:  I bought them on Amazon as my first shoe purchase there.  Ended up needing a half size different (don't recall bigger or smaller), but I had no issues with the exchange.  Just a couple of days.  Your first shoe purchase comes with $15 off (at least mine did). 

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »
Also done with "waterproof" shoes. Waterproofing in a hiking shoe/boot where you are walking miles in the rain is a dirty lie.  :D

All it does is trap water inside the shoe and not allow it to dry out. All my hiking shoes for the past few years are lightweight and some kind of mesh to it so air can circulate and dry itself out. Pair I have now is the Saucony Peregrine 8. Had to cross a small stream and I couldn't do it barefoot so they got soaked. Stayed an extra day at camp and by the next they were dry enough to continue the hike.