Author Topic: Nessmuk axe  (Read 5620 times)

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
Nessmuk axe
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:13:47 AM »
I have been reading a lot on primitive camping lately (Nessmuk, Kephart, Backwoodsman, etc). I got curious about a good Nessmuk style double bit axe, and came across these:

They made by Lee Reeves in Shattuck OK. I had to put the one in the middle with the maple handle on order. Currently I believe the wait is around 12 months, but I'll let y'all know when I get a confirmation email, if anyone is interested. Here is a link to his site:

http://ssidders.tripod.com/id69.htm

Copyright 1972

Re: Nessmuk axe
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:22:16 AM »
Wow!  Those are nice, almost too nice to use!  I think the Knife/Axe combo would be a sweet setup.  Thanks for the link.

Offline ClarkB

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:26:55 AM »
Price ???

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 09:30:15 AM »
Price ???

Around $165 for the ash handle, $205 for the maple.

Offline Klapton

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:41:53 AM »
I'm not nitpicking, but why double-bladed?  A single-bladed axe is also a hammer.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 10:49:48 AM »
I'm not nitpicking, but why double-bladed?  A single-bladed axe is also a hammer.

Well, a lot of stuff could be used as a hammer if need be. I've seen my dad turn a double bit on it's side many times to hammer something into the ground. A lot of the old timers like a double bit to keep one edge sharp, and one a little more blunt to use for things like splitting wood, chopping through bone, or just anything else that you wouldn't want to ruin your good edge on.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 10:51:59 AM »
It also keeps the head of the axe more balanced as you swing.
The government is great at breaking your leg, handing you a crutch, and saying “You see, without me you couldn’t walk.” — Harry Browne

Dirttime Dude

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »

Good choice...That is a beauty, I have seen and handled many of these hatchets by Reeves...

I am a big practioner of "traditional " camping and gear, clothes etc.....
 I have all the Kephart books, George Sears, and many dozens of other writers from that era,  the "Gloden Age of Camping"..

The so called "trintiy" that Sears liked is still a good practice to follow. Hatchet, fixed blade and a folder
 The only problem being that most folks are not aware of the skill it takes to handle a single or a double edged hatchet..

Also in some places the double is very useful and other places it is not...
 I do not use the double edge hatchet myself.

I do prefer , most of the time my hatchet over a large "chopper" type of knife.
 Again depending on where you are going.

If you go to our website you will see many articles that I have written for "Wilderness Way" magazine over the years , on traditional style gear and camping.
 Thanks to Sister Wolf our site is back up and running...

http://www.dirttime.com

Dude...check yer6

walker

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 02:02:29 PM »
Nice chopper!

I prefer the Gränsfors Bruks Hunter’s Axe myself, not too heavy or long to carry, and big enough for some medium duty chopping action.  I am in no way an expert ax swinger, so I wouldn't want to take the chance of an injury from a double-bitted ax.  I find a small polishing stone just fine to re-sharpen a single edge, besides, what is the big hurry unless you are a making money chopping trees?  I also do use it to dress animals while hunting, and it works very well for removing hides and quartering joints.

http://www.winteroutfitters.com/axes.htm
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:01:39 AM by Archer »

Offline TANK

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 10:20:13 PM »
My wife bought me one from Sportmans Guide for Christmas, made in China but not a bad hatchet.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 12:27:50 PM »
Looks really nice - I would not be able to resist throwing that...