Author Topic: Opinions on Junk Silver  (Read 2828 times)

Offline breamer999

• Prepper
Opinions on Junk Silver
« on: September 20, 2016, 12:35:07 PM »
I have a fairly decent stack of Silver Maples, I acquired *some* pre 65 Canadian Silver dollars and my dealer has come into 50 of them.  I would just like to get a feel for some of your opinions on junk silver

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Opinions on Junk Silver
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 01:36:05 PM »
While still silver and of value...who will recognise and accept the value?? (unless you're in Canada)
I stick to US Junk silver as it is more recognized and a good way to fractionalize an ounce.
I have a quantity of silverware and gold and silver jewelry also as when I was in the pawn shop I could alway buy at less than spot value in the 70's and 80's
and that has turned into a small treasure. I bought silver rings for a dollar and chains  for a dollar if thin and $2 when thick, Gold was bought at 25% of spot as most was 10 to 14 carat.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 08:03:50 PM »
While still silver and of value...who will recognise and accept the value?? (unless you're in Canada)
Checking breamer's profile, he is.  Yeah, I think that junk silver is the most versatile, useable if SHTF PM that there is.  No numismatic premium on it, instantly recognizable, convenient denominations – all good things.  A little too bulky if you're trying to transit through some 21st Century version of Casablanca, where gold might be more compact.  Beyond that one long-shot possibility, with junk silver you're doing things right.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:19:29 PM by Alan Georges »

Offline Chris Gilliam

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 05:14:17 PM »
I have a little Canadian junk silver. Beautiful coins. Sold a lot of my stack recently, but I kept the Canadian. Wouldn't have gotten much for it anyway.

Offline breamer999

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »
I like to get the Junk that is not as worn down or beat up as some I've seen.  I have some pretty worn out 1945 cdn quarters.  But some nice Silver Dollars