Author Topic: NITECORE Intellicharger I4 Battery charger for at home or on the move  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
NITECORE Intellicharger I4 Battery charger for at home or on the move.
This has been in use at my home and BOL for over 2 years and does a good job charging batteries on 120 wall power,12 volt auto or battery (solar!) power.
Even works good with ENELOOP AA and AAA cells,One was in my kit while I was in the nursing home for over two months.
It IDENTIFIES and charges Li-ion (26650, 22650, 18650, 17670, 18490, 17500, 18350, 16340(RCR123), 14500, 10440), Ni-MH, IMR and Ni-Cd (AA, AAA, AAAA, C) rechargeable batteries.
And I used it to charge 18-650 batteries for my flashlight and USB power pack  also AA ENELOOP cells for my AM FM Shortwave (YES ,I do listen to shortwave) Tecsun PL-360 radio with clock/temperature gauge.
The Lithium ion/Nickel Metal Hydride 4 cell charger can keep your gadgets well powered off either 110 to 240 50 to 60 HZ (at 10 watts)wall voltage or auto power or even 12 volt battery/solar and while not as fast as some chargers it certainly has the edge on versatility.

This link is to a I$ with 12 volt cord and 2 of the "D" cell (AA) adapters as not all I2 and I$ chargers are so well equipped:

https://www.amazon.com/NITECORE-Intellicharge-Universal-EdisonBright-Converters/dp/B00GODG3X0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1474810695&sr=1-2&keywords=Intellicharge+i4
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: NITECORE Intellicharger I4 Battery charger for at home or on the move
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 09:23:21 AM »
When charging from Solar - do you have a battery (AGM or other) that acts as a buffer ?  Or do you go straight from panel to charger?
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 09:44:23 AM »
When charging from Solar - do you have a battery (AGM or other) that acts as a buffer ?  Or do you go straight from panel to charger?

A big feature of this charger is the ability to run from both 110VAC and 12VDC.  When running from 12 volts, you can leverage any 12v battery source, including your car.

Most solar charge controllers warn against connecting to the panel WITHOUT a connected battery.  For that reason and the current from even a 100w panel is at best maybe 6amps, and a lot less when cloudy.

I would always use a changed battery as the 12vdc source to ensure consistent current discharge.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 09:52:48 AM »
A big feature of this charger is the ability to run from both 110VAC and 12VDC.  When running from 12 volts, you can leverage any 12v battery source, including your car.

Most solar charge controllers warn against connecting to the panel WITHOUT a connected battery.  For that reason and the current from even a 100w panel is at best maybe 6amps, and a lot less when cloudy.

I would always use a changed battery as the 12vdc source to ensure consistent current discharge.
Which is why the question.  output will vary depending on the exposure and intensity...  A 'buffer' battery will address that.  Charge a large battery, then charge your AA ~ batteries.

I do this, I have a few 7-88AH batteries I charge via solar and charge controller before going to lighter loads.

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:00:29 AM »

Yes, for solar it is best to use a 12 amp hour or larger and a charge controler, Clouds can cause power fades that the 'smarts' in the charger don't like.
I have a small battery bank with 500 or so amp hours and use it for an ECHOLINK node,a VHF repeater,2 laptops ,and my HF rigs...so I can use and charge on dark days.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 11:00:18 AM »
The charger is good but outdated some.
It has a important drawback found in most chargers.
Chargin 4 batteries takes twice the time as 2, since the charger has two power channels only and time shares power every other cell.
So one can have 2x750mA, MAY expect 4x750mA since it is a 4 slot charger but he gets twice as long.

It is very usable if you have it, but if one is shopping now there are far better options at a lesser price. (XTAR, LiitoKala, Opus, even the newest Nitecore models)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »
The charger is good but outdated some.
It has a important drawback found in most chargers.
Chargin 4 batteries takes twice the time as 2, since the charger has two power channels only and time shares power every other cell.
So one can have 2x750mA, MAY expect 4x750mA since it is a 4 slot charger but he gets twice as long.

It is very usable if you have it, but if one is shopping now there are far better options at a lesser price. (XTAR, LiitoKala, Opus, even the newest Nitecore models)

I have a high tech solution for this - buy extra batteries :D

Seriously - in an emergency you don't want to wait ANY time for recharging, so having spare AA/AAA cells is prudent. 
This charger is a solid value.  If they made a new model that charged 2x the speed for only a few bucks more, I might upgrade, but it's not deficient for my needs.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 11:25:12 AM »

Seriously - in an emergency you don't want to wait ANY time for recharging, so having spare AA/AAA cells is prudent. 
This charger is a solid value.  If they made a new model that charged 2x the speed for only a few bucks more, I might upgrade, but it's not deficient for my needs.

Heh - Yea,.. I had some extra AA batteries.... Exp 2019 and 2024.

Just bottled them up to trash as about 30% of them are leaking,.. all over the remaining 70%.. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 11:33:27 AM »

Buy extra RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES is your best bet as I have had no leakage or failure with my ENELOOP cells ...except for 4 that went TU (Transistors Up) in a damaged charger. (Le Crosse BC-700)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »
Buy extra RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES is your best bet as I have had no leakage or failure with my ENELOOP cells ...except for 4 that went TU (Transistors Up) in a damaged charger. (Le Crosse BC-700)

Ironic - I have a BC-700 as well.  I also have a NiteCore I2 charger..

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 12:54:35 PM »

+1

My response implied to buy additional rechargeables, so you don't need to wait around for the slow poke charger to do it's thing.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 02:42:11 PM »
are you guys saying the people generaly have ONE set ONLY?
then I have issues. cos even my Nimhs (that i do not like using) can be measured in lbs.  ;D ;D ;D

seriously now, If a flashlight consumes the batteries in 1 hour (modern 2AA & 4AA flasflights) then one needs TWO sets at least.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »
Greekman,that is correct as I have 40 plus AA ENELOOP cells and the stay charged BETTER THAN NON-RECHARGEABLES
and cost about 5 times more than the non-rechargeables plus they have NEVER LEAKED in a device ,other than when my charger failed and cooked 4 of them. 

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 09:38:48 PM »
thanks god for the Lidl and the newest IKEA (rebranded Eneloops) cheap prices!
I am still in the process of adding them to all the devices in the house

Offline Chris Gilliam

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 05:27:21 PM »
I have the D2 that stays in my glove compartment. If I'm on the road I can charge while driving, if I'm staying with somebody I plug it in. Great charger, but I never use it cuz I have tons of batteries with me at all times.   ;D

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 05:34:50 PM »
I have the D2 that stays in my glove compartment. If I'm on the road I can charge while driving, if I'm staying with somebody I plug it in. Great charger, but I never use it cuz I have tons of batteries with me at all times.   ;D

Good advise CHRIS and though I tried to give more KARMA ,the forum advised me it was too soon...thanks for sharing with the forum.

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 11:28:09 AM »
I have an i2 which came with a Nitecore flashlight. I keep that at work along with a couple charged 18650s. At home I have an Xtar. Since my latest EDC light uses 1 18650 I keep a couple charged spares at home and at work. If for some reason the cell in the light goes dead I am never far from a charged cell, and not far from a charger. So far I have not had any problems with either charger.
I am still pretty new to Li ion batteries and have been doing some research online. I checked a few 18650 spec sheets and a couple writeups on electric car batteries. It seems for storage 3 months or more it is best to keep cells partially discharged, 70% if I recall correctly. I try to slowly cycle through my cells so I dont keep any idle for that long.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »
the issue with the lithium cells is USE them or LOOSE them

the chemistry starts degrading after 3 years and rarely reaches 10. So there is no point in storing the for the collapse. Use them!

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 09:32:30 AM »
The common consensus seems to be whether used or not Li ions degrade with time, and around 500 use cycles is normal. A writeup on Tesla car batteries which use 18650s says the number of charge cycles can be increased by quite a bit by not fully charging or discharging the batteries.Even with the accepted 500 cycles my batteries will die from age rather than overuse.
Does anyone have any Li ions for a few years yet? Mine are still under a year and with my normal use I probably wouldnt notice them degrading by 30% capacity. I do have the CBA tests saved taken after only a few cycles so it should be intrtesting to rerun them at 1 year.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 09:53:39 AM »
The common consensus seems to be whether used or not Li ions degrade with time, and around 500 use cycles is normal. A writeup on Tesla car batteries which use 18650s says the number of charge cycles can be increased by quite a bit by not fully charging or discharging the batteries.Even with the accepted 500 cycles my batteries will die from age rather than overuse.
Does anyone have any Li ions for a few years yet? Mine are still under a year and with my normal use I probably wouldnt notice them degrading by 30% capacity. I do have the CBA tests saved taken after only a few cycles so it should be intrtesting to rerun them at 1 year.

Only about 5 years now and most of the recycled batteries solt with names like TRUSTFIRE ar any name with FIRE in it are most often JUNK...they work OK but I me junk because we recycle them (laptop batteries) and make CHINA etc dispose of them...they dismantle them and relabel them and DUMB Cost conscious people buy them again...They often lose capability withing a yer or two ,while the name brand (sanyo,panasonic,etc) have yet to fail,or even show sign of loss of capacity . The charger I started this thread with charges a tad slow ,but this keeps stress down on the batteries.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 05:19:00 AM »
I like the XTAR VC4 charger since it uses a USB plug.  I can plug it into a USB wall adapter, or a car cigarette lighter adapter, or an inverter with USB; or my laptop or an external battery pack (not likely but nice to have the option).  It has very informative readouts of V/A/capacity, etc. while charging.  It is only $27.

https://www.amazon.com/XTAR-Battery-Charger-Premium-Compatibale/dp/B00U26ONVE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1497525428&sr=1-2&keywords=vc4+charger
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?