Author Topic: combining wool and polypro inner layers. How to?  (Read 1884 times)

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
combining wool and polypro inner layers. How to?
« on: January 27, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »
i am wondering. If you are to wear a wool and a polypro thermal underwear (or socks) together, what would you put next to the skin?

I wore two different kinds of socks one day without giving any though on it, with wool on the inside. I was amazed that when I removed my shoes, the outer polypro was wet (from perspiration) and the wool was rather dry.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: combining wool and polypro inner layers. How to?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
Wool wicks. So most of my dogsledding and outdoor garb is always wool. Even though you are recommended not to, I wore cotton under my wool socks and upperwear. If I did not wear cotton, I wore silk, as it does keep you warm. I did not believe it at first, but the old-timers had me try it, and sure enough the silk worked as well as my Patagonian gear.

I wear jeans under my WWII wool army pants, and never was cold at -40c

Cedar

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 04:43:37 PM »
There are some modern synthetics that wick away like crazy. Also remember that even some synthetics do retain their warming properties even when wet.

I am not really qualified to talk about all the synthetics these days by name but it's worth a look.

Another trend I have seen is thing outer layers that allows you to completely adjust layering from the outside.  Traditionally, you wore pants for instance, then it got colder and you put long undies under them. Then it got colder and a layer over the pants went on.  As your work load, the temp and the wind changed you shifted layers and that dang long undy layer was a pain since you had to take all layers off to adust it.

Getting away from that underlayer/overlayer issue makes life way easier. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »
As your work load, the temp and the wind changed you shifted layers and that dang long undy layer was a pain since you had to take all layers off to adust it.

Getting away from that underlayer/overlayer issue makes life way easier.

Especially for a gal when nature calls. And why I try to only wear two layers. Falling 10-15 foot down a tree well once was enough.

Cedar

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 09:19:41 PM »
Wool alone is usually enough for me, though if it's really cold I put on a silk layer underneath the wool. I bought wool hiking socks at Costco years ago and I've never bought any other material again (for socks, anyway). Modern wools are so soft that it can easily be worn next to the skin without itching, and combined with its natural wicking properties it's a darn near perfect insulator. Plus, I've found it lasts longer than many synthetics if cared for properly.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 10:59:07 PM »
I wear wool socks all the time, all year around. 

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 04:39:00 AM »
I only wear merino wool base layer when it is cold.  Well, I always wear merino briefs and socks no matter the temp.  But if cold I switch my cotton T to a merino T or long sleeve, and add merino long johns.  I would then wear a synthetic Under Armour hoodie (or synthetic down sweater) and jeans.  And then add a jacket appropriate for the weather:  Carhart for dirty work, Icon rain jacket and rain pants, or a plaid wool coat.  And either a ball cap or wool watch cap. So 2-3 layers.  If I am working then first two layers are usually enough, but if sitting around or its is brutally windy then 3 layers.