Author Topic: Rifle carry with backpack  (Read 6250 times)

Offline HavanaHooligan

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
Rifle carry with backpack
« on: September 28, 2016, 11:18:41 PM »
I've got an Osprey Atmos 65 pack and plan to use it on a hunting trip.  I plan to hike to the location, not more than a day out.  I need some advise on how to carry the rifle so it's stowed and not banging my knees etc.
Thanks

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Rifle carry with backpack
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:17:06 AM »
Carry it with the sling across your weak  shoulder in front of your body or with the sling around body of the pack vertical or in a vertical scabbard attached on the side or rear of the pack.
Best I can suggest as I am not familiar with your pack and body shape/size.Carry with sling on non shooting/weak side  and rifle in front is fastest to deploy but I prefer attached to the pack.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 08:01:04 AM »
Adding to what Carl said, attached to side ussually works well for an ergonomic pack.  If you dont have a scabbard you can use a cloth bag attached to bottom of pack as shelf for buttstock and a side compression strap to sinch it tight to pack.  It is a good practice to place a balloon over muzzle to avoid rain or obstructions getting in barrel.  You will end up with something looking like this:

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »
Carrying my small day pack and rifle through the mountains this year (first year deer hunting) I have been putting my head through the sling and resting the sling on my left shoulder with the rifle at an angle across my back.  When I want it more accessible I switch to a more standard carry method of just on my right shoulder. 

Offline HavanaHooligan

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 05:53:50 PM »
Thanks guys.  I like the setup  that pack and if I can fashion a home remedy, all the better.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 01:43:23 PM »
Sorry to hijack, but in case someone comes across this thread and wants a great solution....  Consider looking in to Eberlestock.  I've been running their G2 pack for a few years now and really like it.  Have harvested several animals after drawing from the scabbard.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 08:16:09 PM »
Eberlestock G4 with a 20" barreled AR in the scabbard. It will almost completely conceal an M91/30 Mosin Nagant.

Also try googling for "safari sling".

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 08:19:31 PM »
How long you been running the G4 machinisttx?  You have anything bad to say about it or Eberlestock?

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 04:30:27 PM »
No complaints from me about Eberlestock, other than the expense. Very well made, if a little heavy. The G4 is close to ten pounds empty, IIRC. I've had it for several years now. They also have a "hunting" line of packs, which are identical to the "tactical" line with the exception of the material used. IIRC, the "hunting" line is made with 500 denier material vs the 1000 denier of the "tactical" line. A little bit lighter weight and I think they are slightly less expensive.

I suppose I do have a complaint, but it's not Eberlestock exclusive. Nobody makes a pack that will fit my wife. She's 4'6" tall.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »
No complaints from me about Eberlestock, other than the expense. Very well made, if a little heavy. The G4 is close to ten pounds empty, IIRC. I've had it for several years now. They also have a "hunting" line of packs, which are identical to the "tactical" line with the exception of the material used. IIRC, the "hunting" line is made with 500 denier material vs the 1000 denier of the "tactical" line. A little bit lighter weight and I think they are slightly less expensive.

I suppose I do have a complaint, but it's not Eberlestock exclusive. Nobody makes a pack that will fit my wife. She's 4'6" tall.

If you are looking for backpacking gear that small ULA Gear may make something that small.  I know I read on their website they make backpacks for kids, I think the only kid to do the entire PCT used one of their packs.  I have one and really like it.  It is not for carrying a heavy load though. 

The Circuit can also be ordered with a 12"18"adjustable harness system that works great for kids. In fact, the youngest person ever to backpack all 2663 miles of the Pacific Crest trail was carrying a Kids Circuit. More info can be found in the video below

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 07:41:48 PM »
I'll look into that. I got my wife's measurements and contacted several manufacturers before I gave up the search, and all of them said that somewhere around five foot was the cutoff point for a pack with any sort of frame.  :(