Author Topic: Modern Survivalist Focus  (Read 55012 times)

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
Modern Survivalist Focus
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:53:26 PM »
Often it is easy to look outwards from our lives and see the revolving threats that do or could impact our lives. It is easy to get angry and confused. It is easy to lose faith. It is easy to lose focus. It is easy to focus on one thing, but when you have so many things in our lives to worry about we become confused and distracted. The media is good at distracting and confusing. A good captain of a ship, when faced with the perfect storm, does not let the smaller things impact his decisions. He focuses his resolve. He bolsters his courage. He unites his men and encourages them. He is his ship.

There are many distracting things happening to this nation and this world right now. There are very scary dangers, and there are theoretical dangers. Focus begins with concentrating on the things that are happening rather than what could happen. This is part of the understanding about prepping for those emergencies and personal tragedies that are most likely to occur. Focus on that. Not on each others differences, or the things that serve to confuse and distract. We have a common focus and a common goal. Being prepared does mean thinking ahead for those rare emergencies, but you do not get lost in them. Since preparing for one emergency usually is a means for preparing for them all then there should the focus be.

Politics, religion, conspiracies, scandal...they do not matter. Your family matters. Preparing and becoming free of the systems is the single most effective way to protect your family and yourself. We are here, as a community, to guide each other to prep. To survive that which would others could not. This does not make us better or worse than anyone else. We are modern survivalists. We prepare because at our heart we love. We love our families, and we care for others. We watch out for those who do not have our foresight, and we help nuture in each other the seed that germinated in us to prep in the first place. There are concerns out there, but they are never as important as who and what we are. Doctrine does not matter, affiliation does not matter, race does not matter, preference does not matter. We are modern survivalists and we help each other grow.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 12:56:27 PM by ColdHaven »

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Re: Modern Survivalist Focus
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:05:03 PM »
Damn fine post!  Thank you for that ColdHaven,

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 01:33:05 PM »
What a thought-provoking and timely reminder of why we are here.  Thank you, and +1 to ColdHaven

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 01:34:02 PM »
wow.
I'm humbled.
Too often I find myself distracted by the hoopla.
That was SOME post.
Well said.
Not that those things on the side aren't important, its just a matter of priorities.
If you don't survive, if your family doesn't survive, nothing else matters.
+1 (not that you need my tiny vote)

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »

+1 Coldhaven

We all need to remember why we are here.

Thanks for the reminder, with the amount of confrontations on this forum lately, it is very timely and needed.

The Wilderness

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 02:13:15 PM »
+1 Cold Haven.  GREAT post.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »
Well said!  Marked for future reminder as to where focus must be kept. 

BP

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 05:59:21 PM »
Well...RATS! There go my Aluminum foil futures! (< that was a joke!)

Very good post!

People seem to thrive on getting upset about unimportant things.

Muddyboots

ldjo225

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 07:19:40 PM »
+1! Thanks so much for helping me to get back to what's really important.

Goatdog62

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 09:21:37 PM »
+1. Your eloquence is noteworthy also.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 11:41:40 PM »
Well done & reminded. ;)

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 03:40:30 PM »
A thread worthy of reading, absorbing, re-reading, & revisiting. Thank YOU. +1

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 03:59:20 PM »
:D :D :D I love your new custom title, Cold Haven.  Very appropriate.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »
 :D Thank you for everyone's kind words. I am glad that so many of you feel the same way.

And as for the custom title. Without intending to sound dramatic - I am honored. Thank you.  ;D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »
:D Thank you for everyone's kind words. I am glad that so many of you feel the same way.

And as for the custom title. Without intending to sound dramatic - I am honored. Thank you.  ;D

Well, your posts have this whole "TSP Forum Conscience" vibe about them as of late.  It just took me a while to come up with something that was appropriate but still kind of fun.... ;)  I've actually been trying to come up with something for you for a while, then I read this post.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 07:25:02 PM »
Well, your posts have this whole "TSP Forum Conscience" vibe about them as of late.

Right?  They really do lately.  Your attitude, and timely reminder, CH, have completely leveled the tone of the board.  Seriously.  Take a look around.  Since you posted it, we haven't had one out of control situation.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 03:49:22 AM »
Excellent post!

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 05:21:17 AM »
I was in a very bad state, emotionally, spiritually, financially, before I found TSP and the people who frequent this forum.

Thank you ColdHaven, but honestly, thanks to all of you. I have a renewed sense of purpose, and faith in my abilities again.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 05:41:52 AM »
Right?  They really do lately.  Your attitude, and timely reminder, CH, have completely leveled the tone of the board.  Seriously.  Take a look around.  Since you posted it, we haven't had one out of control situation.

I can't take all the credit. All of you work hard to keep this community running. Its all of us as a team that helps keep this thing going. My comments and words in my initial post here was sprung from what all of us were seeing. I didn't like it. I saw something special in the podcast and this community from the get go, and I didn't want to see it degenerate into petty fighting, and arguing about things that ultimately do not matter. What matters is why we came here in the first place: to prep and to help others prep and grow. I felt that that should be our focus, and people were getting away from that.

If I have helped in any way to cap the rising ire on the forums then that is an achievement to be proud of, but all of the mods, admins, and dedicated forum members help every day to keep this forum on track. It is the few weeds that keep cropping up that cause us problems and serve to confuse and shake our focus on what really matters to us.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 08:11:51 AM »
Coldhaven:

I'm a little late to the positive karma party, but +1.  You re-calibrated my prepping mindset.  Needed that.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 02:06:05 PM »
Very well written CH, very well indeed. +1

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 04:14:06 PM »
And a +1 from me as well.  Excellent post!

Offline DeepSea1985

• Senior Survivalist
    • TN Tactical Supply
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 07:50:33 PM »
Most impressive......Well stated, almost as if there is a connected conscientious among many members of the forum.

Offline WoG

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 02:11:22 PM »
We are modern survivalists and we help each other grow.
That's a good post, but I think this line needs some concentration.  It's important to note he didn't say "We are modern survivalists and we will help ourselves grow." I don't think isolationism has a part in modern survivalism.  I think as this modern survivalism scene continues to grow, it's going to take a much more favorable view of community involvement.  We all can't have this bunker down and stay hidden mentality.  I keep hearing the key to turning this situation around is becoming more self sufficient.  If we collectively do that in our communities, where the numbers can make a difference, we certainly won't need to isolate ourselves.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 11:13:25 PM »
WoG - I agree with you completely.  +1

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 07:27:26 AM »
I agree 100% WoG, and another +1.

I was a member of this board for quite awhile before I really started contributing to things, several months of just reading what other people had to say. I now feel like I'm getting much more out of this community since I started trying to give a little back. I would strongly urge some of you other "read only" guys to do the same. Come on, I know you're out there, and it doesn't hurt a bit to add a little every now and then (although it does get severely addicting). I'm sure we could all learn something from your experiences as well. Just after a few months I now feel that I can call these folks friends. That's something I never got out of this when I was only reading, and it's a good feeling.

Also ,Coldhaven, another fine post man, and another +1.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2009, 08:33:34 AM »

I now feel like I'm getting much more out of this community since I started trying to give a little back. I would strongly urge some of you other "read only" guys to do the same. ....  I'm sure we could all learn something from your experiences as well.

Totally agree and it's why this forum is different than any other. 

I posted about something in which I look very stupid and cowardly.  See Reply #58 in Tell Us About a Mistake You've Made http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1624.msg61673#msg61673

But I learned from it.  And I bet a lot of you did too.  It's something that could easily save a life so the stakes are pretty high.

Here's my point: since I'm anonymous, no one is laughing at me.  Take advantage of the anonymity and actively participate. 

Besides, you learn so much more by posting.  Sounds weird, but it's true.  When you're sitting there typing up your posts, you fully think them through and you'll be amazed at things that just come out. 

Slight hijack, but a good place to make an important point. 

Offline Citizen Zero

• Senior Survivalist
  • Rural Dweller
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 08:03:13 PM »
Often it is easy to look outwards from our lives and see the revolving threats that do or could impact our lives. It is easy to get angry and confused. It is easy to lose faith. It is easy to lose focus. It is easy to focus on one thing, but when you have so many things in our lives to worry about we become confused and distracted. The media is good at distracting and confusing. A good captain of a ship, when faced with the perfect storm, does not let the smaller things impact his decisions. He focuses his resolve. He bolsters his courage. He unites his men and encourages them. He is his ship.

There are many distracting things happening to this nation and this world right now. There are very scary dangers, and there are theoretical dangers. Focus begins with concentrating on the things that are happening rather than what could happen. This is part of the understanding about prepping for those emergencies and personal tragedies that are most likely to occur. Focus on that. Not on each others differences, or the things that serve to confuse and distract. We have a common focus and a common goal. Being prepared does mean thinking ahead for those rare emergencies, but you do not get lost in them. Since preparing for one emergency usually is a means for preparing for them all then there should the focus be.

Politics, religion, conspiracies, scandal...they do not matter. Your family matters. Preparing and becoming free of the systems is the single most effective way to protect your family and yourself. We are here, as a community, to guide each other to prep. To survive that which would others could not. This does not make us better or worse than anyone else. We are modern survivalists. We prepare because at our heart we love. We love our families, and we care for others. We watch out for those who do not have our foresight, and we help nuture in each other the seed that germinated in us to prep in the first place. There are concerns out there, but they are never as important as who and what we are. Doctrine does not matter, affiliation does not matter, race does not matter, preference does not matter. We are modern survivalists and we help each other grow.

Hands down, this is one of the best summaries of the idea of preparedness that I have seen in a long time.

Thank You!

Offline Hippy223

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 09:08:39 PM »
Good post coldhaven

Offline SLOHomemaker

• Prepper
    • Musings from the Peanut Gallery
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 08:50:47 PM »
Coldhaven:

I have been enjoying your latest posts very much. You have a positive, upbeat, constructive focus that is very calming.

I am new here, but you (and some of the other mods) have made it a very interesting learning experience.

Tamarah