Author Topic: Renting Out a Room? Tips?  (Read 5373 times)

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
Renting Out a Room? Tips?
« on: February 13, 2016, 03:59:05 PM »
I rented out a room a couple years ago and it worked out well, but it was controlled. What I mean was that my nephew knew the person and they both were going to the police academy at the time. If I had a problem his father or the commander would kick their butts. No problems and they were only around during the week, going home to the wives on the weekends.

Has anyone rented out a room? Did it work out? I offer full privileges including kitchen and washing machine. Sign an agreement? I would offer a discount to someone helping me with projects, but I know that is hard to quantify. I do have a Christian College within walking distance of me, so that is an option for boarders, but they are kids. Kids can be annoying. It would have to be guys as I am a single male.

I have a large house with 2 rooms unused.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Renting Out a Room? Tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
I have in the past, alot realy, not the last few years and will ikely go back to it again.

I prefer college students, and possibly even male college students.

There is also a difference between renting out a room, and having house mates. And, you need to be clear which you are doing to prospective people. I generally like to rent out "a room with kitchen/bathroom privleges", I do not want a housemate. ANd, there is a huge difference in prices and responsibilities. -- so that is why at whatever price you are asking, they are renting a room with privledges.

It is best if you have an agreement in writing. What this is is up to you, but you need to be upfront about it. Biggest one: What is your policy about guests ? Are any allowed at all ? And, if so, how many, how often, what areas of the house/property ? Overnight or not ? And, if overnight allowed, how many nights a month ? (The reason you lay that out, is because if you didnt, you could end up with 2 or 3 in that one room effectively full time.... Second is smoking; Yes or no. Outside ok ? Kitchen rules ( clean up especially )

So, why have I prefered young male college students over all ? Well, I have found that older adults, out of school, you have to ask yourself, why is someone in that demographic renting out a room as opposed to their own place ? While there can be an ok answer to that, mostly it may realy mean that they dont have their act together, which means they will be too much trouble. Also, the younger ones are not set in their ways, they havent lived on their own yet, and so are used to having house rules in someone elses house, before their parents, now -- you. The young guys dont seem to realy mind about being reminded to pick up their dishes if they forget. They had a choice to pick a party house, but instead picked here, a house with children and rules, so that means they are being low key here and  letting loose somewhere else.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 07:00:52 PM »
Thank you so much Mountain Momma for the detailed answer. This is the type of information I need.
I would like to bring in some money to put into the house. Seems like there is always something that needs to be done for $500 or multiples of.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 08:46:58 PM »
If you have a college near by skip the students. There is always faculty looking for housing.
No kids to deal with and they may only be teaching a semester at a time. So they don't need anything long term.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 01:19:52 AM »
Neighbors down the street do that. They have a "mother in law" addition on their house, so it is like a separate apartment with its own entrance. They usually rent to a married couple it seems.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 04:56:19 PM »
I 100% agreement with Mountainmoma when she says to get a written agreement!  Remember, if you have someone who is renting a room, they have "rights" in some states.  So if they stop paying their rent, you have to start legal proceedings to get them evicted.  In some locations (California), it can take months and lots of $ to get them out of your home.

The other option you might consider is Airbnb.  If you aren't familiar, this is the description from their website:

Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world.

Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and 190 countries. And with world-class customer service and a growing community of users, Airbnb is the easiest way for people to monetize their extra space and showcase it to an audience of millions.

Most people think Airbnb is only for big cities or tourist destinations.  But even small towns can have a market for it.  Many prefer staying Airbnb rather than a hotel/motel.  My daughter and her husband, who travel frequently, now use Airbnb exclusively for their travel accommodations.  They have never had a bad experience.

You can be picky about who is allowed to book a room.  The Airbnb host gets rated by guests AND the host gets to rate the guests.  If your guests are rude, disrespectful or damage property, you can warn future hosts about them.  So guests need to be on their best behavior or no one will allow them to book a room.  But, you as the host, have to step up your game.  You need to provide a very clean environment with some hotel-like amenities (soap, shampoo, towels, etc.)

4 weekend bookings a month might provide you with just as much income as if you had a full-time room-renter.  You said you are near a college.  Parents who are coming to visit their students could be a staple of your Airbnb customers.  You can charge more on weekends where you expect a larger demand (The week parents drop off their students at college, homecoming week, the week before winter break, graduation week)

FYI - I'm not an Airbnb host or affiliated with them in any way. 

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 05:07:22 PM »
yes, there is a bunch who can play the system and not pay rent and need eviction. It has happened in this neighborhood to a widow down the street. Other neighbors took up a collection to pay them to get them to leave -- which is their game, be so annoying and make it drag out so long, that people will pay them first and last for a new place -- the couple ehre was trying to hold out for a used car too !!

Another home owner by here had the same scam run on her even though she had advertised on airbnb, a couple who refused to leave and required eviction and while at her place, overstaying hteir welcome, would take her food, etc...it was illegal for her to lock the refrigerator. She rented to them after their airbnb time was done, but even if thru airbnb, if the tenent stays after they are supposed to leave, maybe airbnb insurance will help out, but in CA still need to go thru legal evictions, so airbnb cant make them actually leave. This couple had 3 convictions in this county for scamming homeowners, not all thru airbnb. http://www.wthr.com/story/29078472/woman-rents-out-bedroom-on-airbnb-and-now-tenants-wont-leave

his one was in Southern CA, entirely thru airbnb, once month was up, they wouldnt leave or pay ....http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/23/travel/airbnb-squatters/

Like I said, I would go for the male christian college students that have the school right by you. They arent traveling up and down the west coast scamming home owners.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 05:40:11 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 07:07:26 PM »
Laundry privileges are a huge factor. Yes or no on laundry? 

Also, a Christian college might offer you some outstandingly upright students who will abide dutifully by all the rules you lay down --or that campus might also offer you a few total scumbags.

A lot of Christians neither smoke nor drink. A lot of Christian colleges vehemently prohibit smoking and drinking among their students upon penalty of expulsion if they are caught smoking or drinking. A lot of Christian colleges have students who are very good at hiding the fact that they smoke and/or drink.

Find out what the rules are at that college. Also, find out how much it costs each semester for a student to pay for the dorms, and also try to find out if the meal plan is mandatory for dorm residents (if all on-campus students MUST buy the meal plan whether they want it or not). If your room-for-rent can come well below that price, you will have students lined up out the door to rent from you, and you get to pick the one you want.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 04:31:00 AM »
I helped a friend after his wife kicked him out by letting him live inn my house for about two weeks,,,,
It tuned into two years (how long should it take to get on your feet?) of sharing my space/food/laundry/and phone.
The last straw was when I came home and he was in company of a woman and I could not do such for the two years.
He has not called or emailed or written in all of these years since...it does not pay to help some people.
Make sure you want to share space with your renter as it is hard to eject one much of the time.

Offline moving chicane

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 10:47:16 AM »
I currently have three rooms rented.  With full kitchen and laundry access.  I've found good success with younger males, and older females.  I have also had poor luck with young females and old males.  Weird.  Definitely get rules and expectations in writing.  Something I also try to do before renting is walk the individual to their car after you meet them for the first time.  IMHO if their car is a mess on the interior your house will be too.

Offline krispykreme

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 02:59:25 AM »
and yes, adding to the above said, in any case an agreement is a must, whatever it is you are renting out