Author Topic: Empire Mason Flats  (Read 6144 times)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Empire Mason Flats
« on: October 23, 2016, 12:02:28 PM »
Are they good? Where are they made?

Noticed Menards is handling them, at closeout prices.

I've never seen them before I guess

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Empire Mason Flats
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 02:33:02 PM »
Looks like an American company .

http://www.theshelbyreport.com/2015/06/12/new-joint-venture-launches-new-choice-in-canning-jars/

They say its back to thicker glass on shoulder and rim .

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »
 8)
I just don't want to end up with more cheap (read MainStay) mason flats.
Thanks for finding that.

Richard (richard)

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 04:24:26 PM »
I avoid Orchard brand lids, didn't work for me.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 07:21:44 PM »
I avoid Orchard brand lids, didn't work for me.

Realy ? I can alot and love orchard brand lids, they even have a thicker seal area. I just bought 3 more flats of lids of Orchard brand.

But, I have not seen or used Empire brand, different stores around here.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 11:40:58 AM »
Ok back to Empire here's what I found out . Made in China to US company specs . They say they have QC people in China doing inspects before shipping . So its a use your on judgement call.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 02:32:21 PM »

Ok thanks. I'll pick up a few and look them over. May buy 1, step outside and open it up. If it looks ok, may go back in and load up. At .89 a dozen, hard to pass up.

Richard (richard)

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 07:41:50 PM »
Realy ? I can alot and love orchard brand lids, they even have a thicker seal area. I just bought 3 more flats of lids of Orchard brand.

But, I have not seen or used Empire brand, different stores around here.
The Orchard brand lids are so stiff that they do not ping. Compared to a ball, which pops when you thumb it, the O brand doesn't.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 08:30:32 PM »
The Orchard brand lids are so stiff that they do not ping. Compared to a ball, which pops when you thumb it, the O brand doesn't.

could there be two brands we are mixing up ? I am refering to Orchard Road, is there a similar name ? Because these lids flex great, I am in the middle of canning tomatoes with them this evening, no problem to just flex one with a thumb..... these are a prefered choice now with Azure Standard cstomers who can alot, and others, I have only read good reviews from canning sites I respect and use, like this one, Food In Jars http://foodinjars.com/2014/08/giveaway-orchard-road-mason-jars/

https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/orchard-road-canning/canning-dome-lids-regular/18256
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:38:30 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 02:18:26 PM »

Well yesterday we stopped at Menards on the way home from a doc apt and checked out the Empire lids. That's the only product they had of Empire, no jars, etc., just flats and rings.  ???

Anyhow, they were on sale for a buck a box, both regular and wide mouth. Plus there is a 11% rebate going on for everything in the store till the end of next week.

So the lids were .89 at purchase, plus the rebate we will receive after the paperwork is done.

I bought 30 boxes and opened one. Good, sturdy flat with lots of seal. It had the button which is slightly up. So whoever is looking/checking over the china manf that is making them, are doing a good job.
They will be put in the storehouse and used next year.

Thanks for your input.  ;D

Richard (richard)

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 07:34:47 PM »
could there be two brands we are mixing up ? I am refering to Orchard Road, is there a similar name ? Because these lids flex great, I am in the middle of canning tomatoes with them this evening, no problem to just flex one with a thumb..... these are a prefered choice now with Azure Standard cstomers who can alot, and others, I have only read good reviews from canning sites I respect and use, like this one, Food In Jars http://foodinjars.com/2014/08/giveaway-orchard-road-mason-jars/

https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/orchard-road-canning/canning-dome-lids-regular/18256
The Orchard Road lids that I have are stiff to the push, whereas the Ball brand lids have a very distinct popping sound. We did a batch of pints in the hot water bath and the Orchard Road lid did not hold a seal as it was so stiff.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 05:59:03 PM »
Used a couple boxes of these Empire r mouth lids on some jam. Lids are A-ok in my book.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »
Anybody ever try the jars?  I like the idea of getting a wider sealing surface like my old jars.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »
No not yet. We're waiting on some closeout prices.