Author Topic: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please  (Read 21411 times)

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« on: November 01, 2016, 04:11:55 PM »
I have a very old K lamp that still works well.  However, I want to add a couple more.  I have no idea what brand is best.  If there is anyone that can make a suggestion on a lamp that works well I would really appreciate it!
FF

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 05:15:24 PM »
I saw one in the camping section of walmart the other day.  It had a child proof cap on it.  I was about to buy it until I noticed that.  I mean really, does everything have to be a pain in the ass now? 

I've seen some on amazon but haven't bought one yet, now I'm afraid I'll get it and it will have the same stupid cap.  Might have to go old school and find antiques. 

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »
     Remember to use the best lamp oil you can find. The type that restaurants use for table lights doesn't give off odors. I guess in an emergency any kerosene will do, but I find the smell of kerosene offensive. I guess I would go with with a good quality "barn lantern". They are well protected from wind and drafts and "reburn" some of the fumes. They are a good "grab the handle and walk around light. Get an extra glass chimney (or two) and some spare wicks. You should check the Leman's catalog for what types are available. Avoid anything that might tip.

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:03:45 PM »
Dad collects lamps, so here are some quick thoughts I've picked up.
Kerosene:
Some fuel oil kerosene has sulfur in it. Be sure and ask for "clear". You can burn the stuff with sulfur, but it will reduce the life of your wick, and it's a little smoky.
You can usually buy 5-gallon cans of it at places like Tractor Supply or Home Depot, but you'll pay at least double what it costs at a bulk fuel & oil supplier.

Lamps:
One word... "Aladdin" if you can afford one.
Peruse Lehman's to get an idea of what's top end, what parts are out there, and an idea of cost.
Hit yard sales.  If a lamp is marked 'antique', it's probably not worth what they're asking.  If you see a lamp that has a railroad stamp on it, it's probably a collector's item. 
Look for railroad 'style' lamps that have the metal structure around the globe if you're looking for something to use outdoors.
Look up 'angle lamp'.  Those are really nice, but very pricy.  If you find one at a yard sale that doesn't have the glass, you can buy repro globes for them.  If the the fuel reservoir is rusted out,  you can easily electrify it... but I digress.

If you're at high elevation, you'll need to watch for 'high altitude' chimneys.  They are taller than regular chimneys.

Some lamps are made of clear glass.  They are still good,  but don't leave oil in them for extended periods of time.  It'll turn red and gel on you.  It's nasty to clean up. If you do leave it in, just dump the oil, clean everything with gas and let it dry real good.  Take the wick out and give it good soak and scrub.  Metal or painted lamps don't have this problem.  It's the UV.

That's all I can think of at the moment.  I'll see if I can get some pics posted up some time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:13:16 PM by scoob »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 03:59:16 PM »
I've had 2 of these for years. Converted to lamps, then back to lanterns.
Then I found some new replacements for a reasonable price.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=10311&cat=2,40731,10311

I've never opened the box up, so don't know if they have become *china made* or not.

Price was good, and my old ones always worked well.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 04:34:59 PM »
I'm probably going to pick a couple of those up ST, scoob has me wanting an Aladdin lamp pretty bad though.  I figure it would make an OK heater for my bedroom too. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 04:44:54 PM »
Lee Valley has other awesome stuff too.  ;)

Woodworking, Gardening

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 04:47:31 PM »
That place is a bad influence on my pocketbook.  I tend to have an affinity for nice things. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 04:58:08 PM »
Understand that.  :)

Richard (richard)

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »
I have a very old K lamp that still works well.  However, I want to add a couple more.  I have no idea what brand is best.  If there is anyone that can make a suggestion on a lamp that works well I would really appreciate it!
FF
I didn't see that anybody suggested Lehmans, they perhaps have the best selection. Make sure you use indoor oil and not kerosene.

Offline Puffer

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 07:27:16 AM »
Auction sales in my relatively rural area have these things regularly. I do marketing for the local auction hall so see the complete inventory every week. Lamps come through about every third sale, or even more frequently. So check out auctions near you.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 07:54:50 AM »

What is so great abut Alladin lamps ? I just have a cheap $10 lamp at my BOL. I use it all the time, it seems plenty sufficient. It's not very bright but I also use headlamps and once in a while I fire up the propane lamp as I have no electricity

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »
As far as light output is concerned they seem to be a superior design.  They make a mantle glow similar to that of a propane lantern.  I haven't seen one in person but they look well engineered.  Although they also look like a lot more maintenance and to be more fragile than the standard oil lamps.  I'd like to have both, the Aladdin because I like nice things, the old style because I know it will always work. 

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 09:28:02 AM »
hmmm, $180 is the cheapest unless ebay has stuff .. interesting if it's that bright though .. Maybe I should get one .. I am headed to my camp the day after Thanksgiving .. Maybe I should order one soon and have it by then

Should I get one with a shade or not ? The shelf style one maybe takes less space even though I would put it on a table anyway

http://aladdinlamps.com/mantle-lamps/classic-aluminum-table-lamp-less-shade/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:34:58 AM by surfivor »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »
I don't play with fire anymore, but you can trim the lamp wick in a shallow "V" or to a point and have a wider burn
and more light output from most any liquid fueled lamp.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 09:46:06 AM »

I ordered the shelf one for $150 that was the more durable type classic aluminum

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 10:04:36 AM »
I ordered the shelf one for $150 that was the more durable type classic aluminum

Post pictures and a review when you get it, I'd really like a real world view of it.  I think you can add a shade later if you want.  They say they put out a lot of heat so they may not be best for summer, but as I don't have a heater in my house it would be good for me in the winter. 

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 10:32:19 AM »
Post pictures and a review when you get it, I'd really like a real world view of it.  I think you can add a shade later if you want.  They say they put out a lot of heat so they may not be best for summer, but as I don't have a heater in my house it would be good for me in the winter.

Ok, I also ordered a 4 pound propane tank. It's nice and small. I use an 11 pound tank at my camp. When it runs out, I would rather switch to the 4 pounder until I refill it. I hate using the 1 pound canisters as they are a pain to screw onto the stove directly instead of using the line that runs outside. The 4 pounder seems like a good thing to have for car camping or what have you

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »
Ok, I also ordered a 4 pound propane tank. It's nice and small. I use an 11 pound tank at my camp. When it runs out, I would rather switch to the 4 pounder until I refill it. I hate using the 1 pound canisters as they are a pain to screw onto the stove directly instead of using the line that runs outside. The 4 pounder seems like a good thing to have for car camping or what have you

KEROSENE sells by the pound? Sounds more like PROPANE to me.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 02:09:56 PM »
He said propane Carl.  LOL

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 02:12:51 PM »
He said propane Carl.  LOL

But the lamp and the subject of this thread is KEROSENE lamps.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 02:24:51 PM »
sorry, yea two different things I ordered a kerosene lamp but also mentioned about my propane for cooking

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 02:39:40 PM »
sorry, yea two different things I ordered a kerosene lamp but also mentioned about my propane for cooking

I missed this and also use propane for a cook alternative,it uses 1 pound cans and operates about 3 hours on a small cannister.
I have a large can from a large barbeque and the adapter for longer term use,should I need a heat source.
OK,I should be back on track now, I just missed the turn.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 02:51:50 PM »
I missed this and also use propane for a cook alternative,it uses 1 pound cans and operates about 3 hours on a small cannister.
I have a large can from a large barbeque and the adapter for longer term use,should I need a heat source.
OK,I should be back on track now, I just missed the turn.

If I keep having to screw 1 pound cans onto my stove, I'm afraid it may strip the threads which happened once. Instead there is a line permanently connected to the stove that runs outside and I screw the larger tanks onto the connector outside

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 10:16:56 AM »
I have 7 of the chea, p Walmart camping section kerosene lanterns, 2 that I use, and the rest stored for the future. They work just fine. I also put back about a dozen spare wicks. As long as I have access to kerosene, those lanterns, and the few kerosene lamps that my wife has around, will provide years of light.

There are additives which can be added to kerosene to make them smell different. Look at stores that sell kerosene heaters.

Offline A Pawn

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 08:26:06 PM »
Try Lehman's. Link below:

https://www.lehmans.com/category/lamps-lighting

Take it easy...  8)

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 10:25:05 PM »
An Aladin lamp is easily the brightest K lamp available.
Bright enough that you'll see spots when you look away from
the glowing mantle.
That said, the mantles are delicate, (think coleman lantern)
and they must be monitored while operating. As the lamp slowly
heats up, airflow increases and you can end up with a
"runaway lamp" aka flame shooting out of the top.
they also give off quite a bit of heat. I have one from
1932, and buy parts from lehman's for it.
Lot of local amish have them, they are a great light
source, used properly. I'm always looking around for old ones
at flea markets, sales, etc.

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 11:02:51 PM »
A couple side notes on Aladin lamps:

If you do accidentally overfire the lamp, and your mantle
soots up (black patches on it), just turn it down a bit and
leave it lit. The soot will *s l o w l y* burn away and the
mantle will be fine, at least in my experience.

I make sure I have at least 3 feet of clearance above the
thing when it's lit, the heat at the top of the chimney really is
pretty intense.

You can get several accessories for these lamps as well.
You can add a lampshade, with the added shade holder.
They make a heat dissipation gadget for the chimneys of some
lamps. Also a bug screen for the chimney, for outdoor use
I suppose.
The wick cleaner/scraper is handy and cheap. Doesn't
hurt to keep a spare mantle or two around either :)
Again, see Lehmans Hardware. If you have an old unidentified one,
they can look it up for you. They even had a reproduction glass shade
in stock to match the one that was available for mine in 1932.

Offline Citizen Zero

• Senior Survivalist
  • Rural Dweller
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2016, 09:24:23 PM »
I have several of the Aladdin lamps in varying forms and have been using them for many years. When the power goes out they will both light and heat the room quite easily, the light output is the equivalent of a 60W light bulb.

I noticed many references to Kerosene for the fuel, while this works in a pinch I prefer to run the lamps on pure Paraffin rather than K-1 or, even worse lamp oil from the store. Paraffin has the advantage of being extremely stable for long term storage while tolerating drastic temperature swings while being stored. Paraffin also has the advantage of the fact that it burns very clean and hot, though as Montag 451 pointed out you can still cake the mantle with soot if the lamp is set with the flame too high. The only real downside to paraffin is the cost, you will pay more per gallon, but in my experience it is worth every penny. Paraffin is commonly available at wholesale outlets like Cash and Carry since some restaurants still use it to refill their ambiance "candles" for the tables.

Trimming the wicks on the Aladdin lamps is also important as it affects the quality of the light that the mantle produces (evenness) and helps prevent soot collection on the mantle as well (uneven flame).

If you can locate them, the Aladdin Genie III is one of the most versatile of their models as it can be used on a table or put in wall or hanging mounts that are available. The best part is that the model 23 burner and gallery is compatible with many of the founts that are out there that can be obtained rather inexpensively on eBay and other sources (not to mention complete lamps) versus paying "new" retail price if you want to change the base. Same goes for spare parts, I recently picked up a dozen original mantles still in the retail display box for about $3.00 each when all was said and done. When it comes to the Aladdin lamps you WANT to have spares for things like wicks, mantles, chimneys and wick trimmers stored as well as fuel for the lamps.

As always, just my $.02

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2016, 10:05:23 PM »
I prefer to run the lamps on pure Paraffin rather than K-1 or, even worse lamp oil from the store. Paraffin has the advantage of being extremely stable for long term storage while tolerating drastic temperature swings while being stored. Paraffin also has the advantage of the fact that it burns very clean and hot, though as Montag 451 pointed out you can still cake the mantle with soot if the lamp is set with the flame too high. The only real downside to paraffin is the cost, you will pay more per gallon, but in my experience it is worth every penny. Paraffin is commonly available at wholesale outlets like Cash and Carry since some restaurants still use it to refill their ambiance "candles" for the tables.

Good to know, thank you.  We've always purchased plain 'ol lamp oil.