Author Topic: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please  (Read 16619 times)

Offline Montag 451

  • Prepper
  • **
  • Posts: 89
  • Karma: 5
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2017, 10:20:07 AM »
Ok, know this is a lamp thread, but the subject was raised about unvented flame heating of a living space.
I own several kerosene heaters for emergency use, have used them a lot in the past, and have had training on
proper use, and repair of these heaters. They are perfectly safe when used *as directed*, and with adequate ventilation.
Did a little looking around for online information on the subject, here is a pretty good article on Kerosene heaters use...

http://www.iii.org/article/kerosene-heater-safety

A few excerpts from the article regarding Oxygen depletion and Carbon Monoxide production:

"Kerosene heaters consume oxygen as they burn. If they are operated in a small room or in an inadequately ventilated area, oxygen in the air could be reduced to a dangerous level. Reduced oxygen supply could lead to incomplete combustion of fuel and the production of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas which in sufficient concentrations, or if breathed over a period of time, can kill without warning." 

"The real danger is that misuse of kerosene heaters could replace room oxygen with carbon monoxide and lead to death by asphyxiation.
Therefore, it's important to have adequate ventilation to other rooms, and a source of fresh, outside air such as a window or door open at least one inch whenever you're using a kerosene heater."


This information appllies to *ANY* unvented heating device, be it kerosene, natural gas, propane, unvented gas fireplace, buddy heater, etc, etc...

Not trying to scare anyone out of using these appliances, just want everyone to understand how to properly use them. Read the directions that come with
the appliance. Have a working C.O. detector. Keep the appliance in good condition, and use common sense.

I've been in the HVAC buisness for 30+ years, and have been to many, many homes where I found C.O. present for a great variety of reasons.
Thats my 2 cents lol, and best wishes y'all  8)

 


   



 

Offline Stwood

  • Survival Demonstrator
  • *******
  • Posts: 2734
  • Karma: 59
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2017, 10:27:04 AM »
Thanks for the info

Offline Citizen Zero

  • Senior Survivalist
  • ****
  • Posts: 248
  • Karma: 50
  • Rural Dweller
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2017, 09:53:39 PM »
Just looked at the lamp oil that I have and it says Paraffin Lamp Oil.  ;D

Do make sure that the fuel is marked "100% Pure" paraffin. The fuel that I stocked up on way back when (before it being $17/gal) was marked very clearly that it was "100% paraffin". The only downfall is that if it is stored in an outbuilding that it will gel faster than diesel when the temps drop, the easy fix is to bring it into the house for a few hours to re-liquify. We have been using paraffin that has been stored in an outbuilding for more than ten years with no problems whatsoever.

For the Aladdin lamps it is the heat that is produced to excite the mantle to produce light (similar to Coleman propane mantle lanterns), not necessarily the flame itself (flame through mantle is bad!). Traditional wick lamps and mantle lamps are two very different animals.

Yes, I'll have to admit the paraffin is expensive, but it works. A single fill of a Genie III fount will provide almost 24 hours of constant light and heat for a room (turned down to half mast even longer), if set right they also burn very cleanly at the same time in high or low.

If you are going to use something like the Aladdin lamps for your preps, use them in normal life as well to make sure that you have a good feeling when it comes to running them. We regularly use them for ambiance even when the power is not out ;-)

Again, just my $.02 ;-)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:05:19 PM by Citizen Zero »

Offline scoob

  • Senior Survivalist
  • ****
  • Posts: 279
  • Karma: 24
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2017, 06:16:23 AM »
Also, be mindful that altitude is a consideration for some lamps to run at their best. We're at 4000 ft so we're running the high altitude chimneys.  They're just taller and help create a better draft as I understand it. Not totally sure of the theory behind it,  but our random sooting issues went away after we put the taller chimneys on.

Offline DrJohn

  • Survivalist Mentor
  • *****
  • Posts: 892
  • Karma: 34
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2017, 09:29:18 AM »
Check out WT Kirkman.  http://www.lanternnet.com/  I have had excellent service from them.

Offline Bosham

  • Fledgling Prepper
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Karma: 2
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2018, 06:52:36 AM »
Just be sure to have plenty of cross ventilation !!!!!

Not long after they came out, Suffolk County banned kerosene heaters that became popular back during the 1970's oil crisis, because people bought into the "clean burning" advertising and thought they could use them safely indoors during cold weather. While those kerosene heaters didn't make visible smoke, they still made plenty of carbon monoxide.

We used Aladdins for cabin lights on the boats, and I collected antique kero lamps for many years. However, I stopped using all my kero lamps with oil. Even with ventilation, I'd get head aches from the fumes, which are the early signs of kerosene/lamp oil poisoning.

Another reason I stopped using them was that most of our power outages here happen in winter when opening windows to get good ventilation wastes heat. And in summer, the oil lamps just made the indoors that much hotter.