Poll

If you could only have one centerfire rifle what would it be?

AR-15
25 (41.7%)
AK-47
5 (8.3%)
Rem 700
9 (15%)
Winchester 70
2 (3.3%)
Other
19 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: If you could only have one center fire Rifle ???  (Read 22014 times)

Offline blacktalon606

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: If you could only have one center fire Rifle ???
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 08:48:32 PM »
A SR-25 with an under-barrel master key. That rig will take care of everything from 1' to 5280'.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2016, 02:17:55 AM »
While the AR is winning this threads poll numbers, the older military stuff seems to be getting a lot more mention in the actual posts. 

Taking into consideration all the critical variables necessary to increase the odds of success with only one rifle -- like retail cost per round, transport weight, storage volume, shootability/recoil, lethality, effective range, availability, commonality, versatility, etc. -- which round hits the sweet spot?   

My gut says probably the .308, but I haven't actually crunched the numbers.

endurance

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2016, 06:20:14 AM »
While the AR is winning this threads poll numbers, the older military stuff seems to be getting a lot more mention in the actual posts. 

Taking into consideration all the critical variables necessary to increase the odds of success with only one rifle -- like retail cost per round, transport weight, storage volume, shootability/recoil, lethality, effective range, availability, commonality, versatility, etc. -- which round hits the sweet spot?   

My gut says probably the .308, but I haven't actually crunched the numbers.
I think the problem with trying to get down to one caliber is this is a big country. If I'm out on the Great Plains then give me a flat shooting smaller caliber round just big enough for antelope and white tail. If you're in the dense woods of Michigan or Wisconsin, a shotgun might fit the bill. If there are open areas where a 300+ yard shot might be necessary to take an elk, moose or bear, then a 308 might be just barely enough and you might consider a magnum.

That is why threads like this never unify. Folks in my area just wouldn't dream of thinking a 223 or 7,62x39 would be a one size fits all solution. Folks on major flyways don't get why shotguns aren't discussed more. Folks in dense vegetation with smaller game don't see the need for a heavy 308 round.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »
I think the problem with trying to get down to one caliber is this is a big country. If I'm out on the Great Plains then give me a flat shooting smaller caliber round just big enough for antelope and white tail. If you're in the dense woods of Michigan or Wisconsin, a shotgun might fit the bill. If there are open areas where a 300+ yard shot might be necessary to take an elk, moose or bear, then a 308 might be just barely enough and you might consider a magnum.

That is why threads like this never unify. Folks in my area just wouldn't dream of thinking a 223 or 7,62x39 would be a one size fits all solution. Folks on major flyways don't get why shotguns aren't discussed more. Folks in dense vegetation with smaller game don't see the need for a heavy 308 round.

EXACTLY....  But it is fun, as long as people can be respectful.

Offline Chris Gilliam

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2016, 04:50:17 PM »
Without doubt, the M1A.
Finest battle rifle ever made.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2016, 05:10:14 PM »

Admittedly, a rifle's suitability as a hunting weapon is a low-priority requirement for me, the "one rifle" exercise primarily revolves around potential societal necessities, but I try to factor both needs into the equation.

My long arms are chambered in .308, .44, and 12ga, and when looking at best case scenario bulk purchase prices of 50 cents a round for all three, plus factoring weight, bulk, versatility, and lethality, it seems like .308 is the most bang for my buck by a significant margin.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2016, 07:32:28 PM »
Carl,
  I don't have a 700, but will my 577 Synder built on an 1887 M Enfield, long lever do. A 500 gr bullet at 2400 fps with Bell brass isn't bad. Is it?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 02:37:04 AM »
Carl,
  I don't have a 700, but will my 577 Synder built on an 1887 M Enfield, long lever do. A 500 gr bullet at 2400 fps with Bell brass isn't bad. Is it?

That is a piece of ordnance nearly as powerful as the Holy Hand Grenade.   8)
It even tops my 45- 90 trapdoor.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2016, 03:29:11 PM »
EXACTLY....  But it is fun, as long as people can be respectful.

Yes, and it can also be helpful to a lot of new preppers to see the different angles of the decision.  After reading probably a hundred threads like this on various forums a few archetypes have emerged.   Basically there is relationship between people's prepping philosophy/goals and their firearm choices.  The below is a summary.  To me all of these archetypes are positive role models so I hope no-one takes my descriptions in a negative vein.

Mountain Man Mike.   To Mike the goal of prepping is to become self-sufficient.  His time and effort are devoted to living a life of freedom from others in his cabin.  He sees a rifle as a means to this end, primarily helping him put meat on the table to augment what he raises.  But like all technology he employs, he desires to be able to maintain it on his own.  His 45 caliber muzzleloading rifle serves this purpose well being able to harvest all types of game by varying the powder charge; squirrel, rabbit, turkey, deer.  Nearby pockets of flint and galena provide him ignition and ball.  And he has learned to make powder from chicken droppings.  He has also developed both wood and metal working skills so is confident in making any needed repairs himself.

City Sue.  Sue loves the convenience of the city, especially not having to spend money or time taking care of a car, house, or property.  But she also knows the city has a dark side; people who will do her harm for profit, pleasure, or both.  To her mind this includes the possibility of full scale riots where all rule of law is lost.  The rifle serves two jobs for her, defending the apartment and keeping her safe should she need to meet up with her friends to bug out on foot.  The rifle and its ammunition needs to be lightweight so she can carry it.  She isn't concerned about making shots past 100 yards but is concerned about getting in an extended engagement with multiple adversaries and running out of ammo.  To her the compactness, magazine capacity, and relative lightness of ammo makes semi-auto carbines like the M4 style AR 15, AK 47, and vz 58 ideal choices.

Rancher Rick.  Rick like many homesteaders sees his rifle as nothing more than an important tool.  As such he needs it to be "handy" - that is easy to have on hand when he goes about his property and easy to use when a job needs to be done.  Typically this means protecting his livestock and crops from predators and pests.  His pistol caliber lever action rifle has just the power and range he needs.  It has proven reliable and robust and as an added bonus uses the same reloading components as the revolvers he keeps in his truck and at the home.

Bunker Bob and Betty.  To Bob and Betty the motto "be prepared" means having the resources stored away to survive any storm, should that be a natural or a man-made one.  Even a 'Red Dawn' military invasion is on their list of possibilities to prep against.  Needless to say, they take the physical security of their 'bug-in bungalow' seriously and to them a rifle is a means to reach out and touch intruders before they are able to touch them.  Towards this end they have mapped the distance from the home to notable landmarks out to 600 yards in every direction.  This way they know precisely the sight adjustments needed on their battle rifles to hit any target within this range.  While they looked at the M1 Garand, FN FAL, HK G3, and several others they settled on matching M1As as a fine blend of reliability, accuracy, power, and capacity for controlling the 'rifleman's quarter mile'.

Suburban Sarah and Sam. To Sarah and her husband Sam a rifle is a means of recreation.   Once every couple of months they go on a 'plinking date' at their local range and once a year they go to her parents' property to deer stand hunt.  But they also realize that problems aren't always isolated to the city and that a rifle can be an added asset to their pistol in defending their cul-de-sac in a time of trouble.  They prefer to use the limited "gun time" they have for fun pursuits and view reloading and home gunsmithing as chores they rather not add to their list.  So they appreciate major manufacturer warrantied firearm models in calibers stocked at the local Walmart.  They are also concerned about what their neighbors think and especially don't want to be labeled 'gun nuts'.  They looked at a variety of bolt and semi-auto rifles before choosing a scoped Ruger Mini-30 with ten round mags.   It is 'enough gun' for deer hunting and they can plink with cheap ammo but it also gives them options in a SHTF scenario.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2016, 04:53:25 PM »
Yes, and it can also be helpful to a lot of new preppers to see the different angles of the decision.  After reading probably a hundred threads like this on various forums a few archetypes have emerged.   Basically there is relationship between people's prepping philosophy/goals and their firearm choices.  The below is a summary.  To me all of these archetypes are positive role models so I hope no-one takes my descriptions in a negative vein.

Hmmm....  I kind of fall in to all of them, but maybe just a couple more than the rest.  I have a sampling of each but covet my bolt rifles the most, which wasn't the chosen firearm for any of them.  It was a fun read though and a good assessment none the less.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2016, 09:15:35 PM »
Although I played, there should be some kind of no way...  for those that really really really just don't want to choose only one.

I just love them all so much
My integrally suppressed 10/22 takedown
Sig 556R with sig suppressor
the AR family... too many to list right now
my single shot 50bmg... the opposite of the suppressed 10/22
and the M1 Garand, with its walnut stock, its an impact weapon and a firearm

why oh why must I only have one

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2016, 10:24:03 PM »
Hmmm....  I kind of fall in to all of them, but maybe just a couple more than the rest.  I have a sampling of each but covet my bolt rifles the most, which wasn't the chosen firearm for any of them.  It was a fun read though and a good assessment none the less.

Yep. Most of us have a blended philosophy towards prepping and thus multiple firearms.  Bolt actions may be the 'jack of all trades' compromise.  In fact one could argue that Jeff Cooper's concept of a scout rifle was an attempt to find the ultimate middle ground.  Battle rifle power, carbine weight, midling capacity, well stocked cartridge, handy ergonomics.

Or even more centered is a shortened garand rechambered in 308.  For some reason i have always been drawn to this idea:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:31:46 PM by iam4liberty »

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2016, 06:51:27 AM »
I enjoyed using an M1 as a brush gun while hunting as a young kid and my SASS today is a lot of fun, but I see very few realities for a carbine length barrel for myself.

endurance

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2016, 10:53:53 AM »
Yep. Most of us have a blended philosophy towards prepping and thus multiple firearms.  Bolt actions may be the 'jack of all trades' compromise.  In fact one could argue that Jeff Cooper's concept of a scout rifle was an attempt to find the ultimate middle ground.  Battle rifle power, carbine weight, midling capacity, well stocked cartridge, handy ergonomics.

Or even more centered is a shortened garand rechambered in 308.  For some reason i have always been drawn to this idea:

Wow, that is a thing of beauty. That's a dream gun for me. I've never been able to find a 308 m1 garand, but I've heard about the mythical creatures. Nice to actually see one and set up so nicely, too.

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 02:36:40 PM »
One of the modern bolt action guns chambered in .30-06. (My choice is a browning x-bolt but many of the other ones are just fine)

Good glass......3-9 or better yet a 2-7 with decent field of view capabilities. Leopold vx-3 or similar

Composite stock and spare mags.

Chambered in .30-06.
You can kill everything on this continent with it and it has the most off the counter anno choices out there.....AND if you reload it gets even better. You can shoot wood chucks and brown bear with the right bullets. (is it the perfect gun for large bears, of course not but we only get one gun so.... you get my point) You can have 55 grain loads for varmints up to 220 grain (maybe larger?) and everything in between.

Accurate
Proven
widespread ammo availability

If I had to only have one, that would be it. Luckily that is not a rule!

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »
Wow, that is a thing of beauty. That's a dream gun for me. I've never been able to find a 308 m1 garand, but I've heard about the mythical creatures. Nice to actually see one and set up so nicely, too.

The one in the picture isn't mine, i just used a posted picture.  But I do have two in 308, a full size and a shortened, mis-named "tanker".  They are pleasures to shoot and you can use most off-the shelf 308 without potential problems like with some modern 30-06 rounds.  One thing to watch for if you are interested in setting them up with a forward scout scope mount is barrel contour.  I bought a scout rail to convert one of them to that configuration but for it wouldnt work on either.  The barrel contour on the full length one didnt match the mount and the op rod bend on shorter one wouldnt work with it (it works with some designs not others). 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2016, 12:01:50 AM »

Me, too.

Offline Chris Gilliam

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2016, 02:34:18 PM »
I had two Garands re-barreled to .308 back in the nineties. Ammo was half the price of .30-06 back than, and they needed new barrels anyway. Loved them. Full size though, no use for a shorty.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2016, 03:27:11 PM »
I had two Garands re-barreled to .308 back in the nineties. Ammo was half the price of .30-06 back than, and they needed new barrels anyway. Loved them. Full size though, no use for a shorty.

I have a favorite in 7MM-08 as an 18 inch barreled scout rifle. I paid $125 for it a few years back.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2016, 09:20:44 PM »
I have a favorite in 7MM-08 as an 18 inch barreled scout rifle. I paid $125 for it a few years back.

That is a sweet cartridge and a sweet price.  :)

Here is a pic of my two 308 M1 Garands.  The bottom one is actually shorter than it appears in the photo...it is some type of false perspective from the camera angle.   

The reduced length does make it more handy.  A lot of the ergonomics is that the weight gets shifted more towards the back making the balance better for off hand. 

Also notice that this shortened one has a little more length to it than the one posted a couple days ago.  This length is the traditional 'tanker' design.  You can quickly tell from the remaining stub of the front handguard. The ones without the stub require really precise bending of the op rod to make them that short.  Shuff's mini-g is among the best-of-the-best of these: http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/the-mini-g/

Offline blacktalon606

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2016, 08:20:43 PM »

$125!?  Can I order 10?

Offline blacktalon606

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2016, 06:24:17 PM »
I have been thinking about this for a couple days now and coast to coast one gun.... I'm going to double down on the SR-25 for a do it all centerfire. If you want 1 gun period.... A 16" barrel. If you want the best package, a 10" upper with a red dot in your pack and a 20" upper with a 14x scope. You can bullet button if you need to in socialist states. Modern pattern parts are mostly ar-15 interchangeable so there is availability if you break down. There is unlimited customization for every situation, mission and desire. It'll work if the aliens come, Russians invade, grid dies or....?

- 223/556 and 762x39 are calibers known to be associated with "those evil guns" and are under powered for bigger game. 7.62x51 is a nato caliber for surplus availability and is available at every walmart, country hardware store and even some gas stations I've seen. 30-06 is heavier to carry and doesn't gain that much. Plus there are a gazillion specialty loads to choose from. You can choose 2 rounds, 5 rounds, 10 rounds, 20, 30 or 50-100 round drums. Instead of an 8 round clip or 4 round internal box.

Don't get me wrong here.... The M1 and M1a are a couple of the greatest guns ever made but they are good 20-700 yards. You aren't going to cqb well with a 24' barrel. Bolt action big bores are big game specific and may be precise as all get out but customization is low and follow up shots are slow. There is a a reason militaries no longer use them.

d3nni5

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2016, 08:45:56 AM »
I'd have to go with a hunting rifle in 30-06, just for it's practicality.    I'm not thinking of the zombie apocalypse or TEOTWAWKI type situations.    But a good bolt action hunting rifle in either 30/06, .270, .243 would serve me the rest of my life.    I'd have to have a good scope on it, but other than that.

I have a Savage Model 16/116 FCSS, and it is a great rifle.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2016, 09:09:53 AM »
I'd have to go with a hunting rifle in 30-06, just for it's practicality.    I'm not thinking of the zombie apocalypse or TEOTWAWKI type situations.    But a good bolt action hunting rifle in either 30/06, .270, .243 would serve me the rest of my life.    I'd have to have a good scope on it, but other than that.

I have a Savage Model 16/116 FCSS, and it is a great rifle.

That's a downright terrible opinion, especially owning a Savage....  Just kidding...  Yours mirrors mine, except for caliber's.

d3nni5

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2016, 09:26:41 AM »
That's a downright terrible opinion, especially owning a Savage....  Just kidding...  Yours mirrors mine, except for caliber's.

:)   I have no argument against the caliber folks choose either.   It is really what you like and serves you best.   I have the 30/06, but honestly don't think I need that much punch....the next bolt gun I get will be a .243 b/c i think it fills a sweet spot for me.

As for the Savages, they get a lot of dirty talk, but for my money I'm a big fan....no complaints at all.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 09:36:33 AM »
As for the Savages, they get a lot of dirty talk, but for my money I'm a big fan....no complaints at all.

Those that own them know the truth and I have never been one to fall in line just for the sake of impressing others and/or buying something based on someone else's recommendation without research of my own.  That said, I've got no problem buying something only to field test and sell what I don't like.  Firearms are pretty easy to move and I seldom lose much money, if at all.

Offline PhatForrest

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Suburban Renegade
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2017, 11:15:55 PM »
M1A

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2017, 11:35:42 PM »
For the moment, I would want to go with my camp 9, semi-automatic in 9mm. But, I realy like the idea of all the M1 garands you guys have shown.

The camp 9 shoots rather like our 10-22's, but with a harder hitting round. Same ammo as my handgun, and plenty of it around. Large magazine capacity. Shoots about as far as my eyesight would do unscoped. Not too heavy.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2017, 05:24:48 AM »
AR-15 in 5.56mm, simply because I know it better than anything else. 

The .308 Garands are extremely 'purdy though.  Make it with synthetic furniture to shave a little weight and make the stock a little more inert maybe?  I don't know that being a wood purist is that big a deal when you have already rechambered it, shortened it and added a Scout scope and rail.

A bolt action scout rifle like the Ruger GSR is awfully tempting as well.  Add a can and a bipod to the rifle bag and you have a handy rifle that can masquerade as a sporting rifle, be useful (though not optimum) for serious work, a jackleg sniper rifle and the capability for low signature shooting (especially with subsonic ammo).

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2017, 10:55:57 PM »
Years ago I would have said an M1 Garand as many others have. Although heavy for the field it is chambered in the versatile .30-06 and could be (and by millions of others) pressed into use for defense, target shooting or even hunting.  However my eyes require the aid of optics these days (not even the long sight radius of the Garand gets the front sight crystal clear any more), and the M1 is not optic friendly.  I have a scout scope on one but not nearly as good as a regular scope for me.

My Sako A7 .30-06 or Tikka T3 6.5x55 would be very good all-around rifles except limited in the self defense role.  Since my hunting days are pretty much over I would really want a rifle mainly for self defense and fun at the range.  A very good candidate is my Marlin 1894 in .44mag: fun, handy for close range defense and optic friendly (has a 1.25-4x scope).  I would be very happy if this were my only rifle, God forbid it.

But, given my choice I would opt for an AR15.  About the same cost to shoot as my Marlin (as cheap when reloading, and cheaper if shooting factory), superb for a variety of optics from red dot to high powered variables, and quick release mounts make it easy to switch between them.  Easy to mount a white light and has many options for sling configuration.  High mag capacity, good&cheap mags available, accurate, fun as heck, collapsible stock is an instant fit for anyone in family, recoil is light so all in family can enjoy a long day at the range or gravel pit, and battle proven durability and reliability.  I think the AR15 is becoming the American rifle much as the Winchester '94 was in my grandad's day.  I am fine with only having one or the other, but this is AMERICA folks and we can have them all. :)