Poll

If you could only have one Centerfire Handgun what would it be?

Glock
Beretta
M&P
XD
Revolver
Other Polymer pistol

Author Topic: If you could only have one Centerfire Handgun what would it be?  (Read 25534 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: If you could only have one Centerfire Handgun what would it be?
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2017, 05:42:35 AM »
 Under the 'new' rule of what is your most likly everyday gun...

My 44 special Charter Arms Bulldog Pug has given comfort while in my pocket,taken deer,and been the house pistol for over 10 years.
It is small,easy to holster or pocket,works every time,powerful,and the business end looks like a cannon.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2017, 02:05:09 PM »
Carl,
  Works for me. My Ruger Flat Top in 44 Sp. Is my house gun after I changed the grips.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2017, 10:26:32 PM »
Nice guys .44 special is an underrated round.
I think I'll start a new topic for underrated rounds.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2017, 02:22:36 PM »
I'll stay with my 4" .357. Yes, I can (begrudgingly) carry it but I also bring it to parts of the state where mountain lions are routinely spotted. On rare days I find myself in wolf country as well...

I also think that as outdoors folk go, the farther north you go the bigger bang you probably need. I have friends in Alaska who mock my puny .357.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2017, 05:37:06 PM »
I'll stay with my 4" .357. Yes, I can (begrudgingly) carry it but I also bring it to parts of the state where mountain lions are routinely spotted. On rare days I find myself in wolf country as well...

I also think that as outdoors folk go, the farther north you go the bigger bang you probably need. I have friends in Alaska who mock my puny .357.

I have taken HOGS and deer with a 2 3/8 bbl Ruger speed 6 pocket 357 mag...one deer at 75 yards..in good hands it is enough
unless the game is trying to eat you.The 44 spec bulldog just feels a tad more refined.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2017, 06:19:03 PM »
Under the 'new' rule of what is your most likly everyday gun...

My 44 special Charter Arms Bulldog Pug has given comfort while in my pocket,taken deer,and been the house pistol for over 10 years.
It is small,easy to holster or pocket,works every time,powerful,and the business end looks like a cannon.

Is this similar to what you have?

https://www.turners.com/charter-arms/charter-arms-stainless-bulldog-2678

It's on sale locally and I'm tempted. Half the weight of my N frame would be nice.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2017, 06:29:59 PM »
Is this similar to what you have?

https://www.turners.com/charter-arms/charter-arms-stainless-bulldog-2678

It's on sale locally and I'm tempted. Half the weight of my N frame would be nice.

YES, the BULLDOG PUG was the first charter with a shroud protecting the ejector rod (I think the first)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2017, 08:29:35 PM »
YES, the BULLDOG PUG was the first charter with a shroud protecting the ejector rod (I think the first)

Well, if it's been stone-cold reliable for you for a decade, maybe I should go get me one. 

I'm a little skeptical about the quality at that price point, especially since I've never actually seen one, but if the thing goes bang every time I want it to, I won't argue about it. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2017, 04:04:15 AM »
The trigger was a little rough and though I could have done a trigger job on it , I prefered to uas a bit of valve grinding compound
to lubricate any moving parts and then dry fired it for many hundreds of rounds with empty cases ,fired primers in place
(snap caps would be better) to prevent any over stress and vibration of parts.
Then into the ultrasonic cleaner and silicon lube call SUPERLUBE and I have needed nothing but cleaning after logging some 15,000 rounds
on the firing line as a range training  and practice on paper...It shoots where I want it to by muscle memory and I don't consciously look at the sites.

Try this: look at a target on the wall etc,even in periphery,point your finger or empty weapon at it ...THEN CHECK THE SITES...your mind
will line the sites without a thought ,like walking or riding a bike so many things your mind handles for you,
The force is with you..it is the incredible power of your mind.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2017, 08:06:46 PM »
Well, Carl, you talked me into it, I paid for and started the background check on the Bulldog today.  Nice size, seems like a real decent piece for not much money.  I'm looking forward to getting it back in my hands in 10 days.

On a side note, California requires handgun purchasers to pass a written test every few years and my certification just expired. However, my magic CCW card waived that requirement and saved me both money and aggravation. It was so weirdly logical, I wondered if I'd accidentally stepped into an alternate reality.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »
Well, Carl, you talked me into it, I paid for and started the background check on the Bulldog today.  Nice size, seems like a real decent piece for not much money.  I'm looking forward to getting it back in my hands in 10 days.

On a side note, California requires handgun purchasers to pass a written test every few years and my certification just expired. However, my magic CCW card waived that requirement and saved me both money and aggravation. It was so weirdly logical, I wondered if I'd accidentally stepped into an alternate reality.

I expect a detailed report of first impressions and shooting..it can sting a bit due to light weight and near nuclear power.. at 6'5" AND 300 LBS PLUS ,i
ENJOY THE STING IN MY PALM AS REASSURING. Sorry accidentally hit caps lock.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »
I expect a detailed report of first impressions and shooting..it can sting a bit due to light weight and near nuclear power.. at 6'5" AND 300 LBS PLUS ,i
ENJOY THE STING IN MY PALM AS REASSURING. Sorry accidentally hit caps lock.

So long as it's no worse than shooting .44 Mag in my Mountain Gun, I can live with it.  What defensive rounds do you like to load it with?  I've got no experience with anything other Winchester Silvertips, but I'm sure there's probably better stuff out there.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2017, 04:45:21 AM »
  As I was a custom loader for years ,ai have several favorites ..Silvertips loaded to factory spec, Black Talon , Glaser Safety Slugs and my 'normal' load
of 240 grain SOFT CAST ( pure as I can get lead with a gas check) as 44 special will not reliably expand and does not need to...I use the soft lead to prevent ricochet and over penetration of walls etc . The 44 has the size and inertia to not require a second shot to the body and magnum velocity
is a waste that often results in over penetration and loss of knock down or shock damage.

Taurus made a super ,all copper round that I duplicate that is insanely capable at personal range.I make my own,but factory rounds are great.

http://www.oegmag.com/Tauruscopperbullets.html

Offline 9mmMaster

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2017, 06:34:31 PM »
I'm not the biggest 44 fan
But the new Smith Model .69 midsize .44 Mag / .44 special would be a great all around gun.
So to would the new Ruger RedHawks .45Colt / .45Acp if you hand load super versatile.

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2017, 08:22:45 PM »
Old rule:  I'd want a S&W 66 in .357 Magnum.  I need a revolver that can deal with Hog, Coyotes, Burmese Pythons, and bad people.  I use two guns for this now.  A S&W 642 for bad people and a Heritage Big Bore .357 Single Action for the critters. 

New rule:  I'll keep arguing with myself over the two.   :-\

Offline PhatForrest

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Suburban Renegade
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2020, 05:44:07 PM »
Sig P series, preference being a P226 in 9mm.

Offline Elkhitman

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2020, 10:27:24 AM »
Glock 17 or 19, then a Sig P229. I already have them, all in 9mm. I’m not concerned about 1 shot stops, the adrenaline will be flowing and I’m sure the bullets will fly until the threat is gone. Here’s a good video if you have the time to watch it.

https://youtu.be/wXwPtP-KDNk

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2020, 11:24:05 AM »
I will go with a glock 22, gen #3 with an aftermarket barrel for 9mm & 22lr.  You can go with real Glock frames or one of the aftermarket ones that improve on the Glock perfection.

Yep; a cheat move on my side but....Max rounds for Glock 22 with normal mag is 15 - fits Colorado's max round count.
9mm conversion barrels are cheap and lets me go down that path.   Most of the parts are the same between the 9mm glock 17 and the 22. 

For fun, a nice 22lr slide conversion for said glock so I have the rim fire option.

Will additional magazines be needed for the conversion between 9mm and 40 cal; yes.

Lone wolf for the barrel conversion.  Cheap top slides at Aim Surplus if you want to go with a dedicated slide.

If I did not live in Colorado I would prob say go with a Glock 17, gen 3. 

Offline DDJ

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2020, 11:00:36 AM »
If I could only have 1 I would have the Glock 22 in 40 (love the idea of adding a 9mm barrel).  Not because I like it, I am not sold on the 40 I do not have a 40 would likely not get one.  I have a Glock 19 in 9mm but I am not the most comfortable with it.  I will not go as far as hate but... The 22 in 40 is because that is what the police in my area carry and to my understanding most of the country.  So spare parts and accessories will be available.  I followed that with the Beretta and 1911 for the same reason they are common. 

My primary handgun us a Ruger simi auto but that is because we are in a "free" country with lots of choices.  Above is why I did not sell my inherited Glock even though I would prefer something else.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2020, 12:57:58 PM »

What is the least expensive 9mm or anything that is a bit bigger than a 22 like a 38 ?

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2020, 01:03:03 PM »
What is the least expensive 9mm or anything that is a bit bigger than a 22 like a 38 ?

Hi-Point C9 is the "Saturday Night Special" replacement of today. Typically sells today for about $160.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2020, 01:44:14 PM »
Hi-Point C9 is the "Saturday Night Special" replacement of today. Typically sells today for about $160.

That's about all I would probably get. I have thought about it a little