Author Topic: OXYGEN ABSORBERS IN MASON JAR  (Read 2852 times)

Angie

OXYGEN ABSORBERS IN MASON JAR
« on: May 31, 2009, 01:59:59 PM »
I put away several pails today and have about 20 Oxygen absorbers left over.  I put the absorbers in a mason jar as soon as I opened the pkg, only opening the jar when I needed to take a few out. 

How long will my oxygen absorbers last in the mason jar??  Will they be safe to use tomorrow?

Offline LGM30

• Senior Survivalist
  • The cold war didn't just end. It was won.
Re: OXYGEN ABSORBERS IN MASON JAR
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 09:35:15 PM »
Probably.
You can test a few ways.
1.  If the Mason jar that you put 20 of them into has pulled to a slight vacuum when you go to open it then they were good when you last closed the jar.  They might be full now, but were good when you closed the Jar.  As long as the jar wasn't the size of mount rushmore then they are probably still usable.
2. Use as many of the 20 as you need except 1.  put that one into a small 1/2 pint jar.  Wait one day.  if the 1/2 pint jar pulled to a vacuum then the others you used are good as well.  If the test jar didn't pull to a vacuum, then the others from that batch were probably full.

If you have a vacuum sealer with a jar attachment I use it to store my extra sorbers.  It really helps prolong their life.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil in the world is for good men to do nothing.

Angie

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:17:50 PM »
I tried to use the absorbers the next day.  They failed.  I did recently purchase a vacuum food sealer, and will get the jar sealers as soon as possible.  I understand that you can seal things in jars that usually don't last long in storage.

I just hate having to waste oxygen absorbers.  Why don't they package them is smaller quantities?

Winchester32

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:31:35 PM »
Sorry I didn't get to this post earlier, I could have let you know that they would not have lasted in a mason  jar.  There is small window if the jar is packed tight with the absorbers, as there is less exygen to absorb. 

When I have left overs, I immediately seal them in one of my food sealer baggies with my sealer and make sure every bit of air is sucked out.  I have done this several times and they have always remained fresh. 

Angie

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 04:18:55 PM »
I bought a Food Saver on Saturday.  Excited about it, and learning to use it.  Next time I will use it to save my oxygen absorbers .

Thanks .

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 05:19:31 PM »
When I'm sealing with my vacuum sealer and putting oxygen absorbers in, I put the absorbers in a Ziploc Easy Zipper bag--the one with the square thing to zip them, like this:

I close the zipper and then open it quickly when I take out an absorber.  I then smoosh the air out of the ziploc and zip it back up.  I do this each time I take out an absorber.

Works well for me.

Then, when I'm done, I vacuum seal the absorbers.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP