Author Topic: Buddipole long telescopic whip  (Read 3857 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Buddipole long telescopic whip
« on: November 13, 2016, 09:41:28 AM »
http://www.buddipole.com/lotewh.html

I purchased this as an alternative to a long CB style wire whip.  My intended application was portable HF mounted to  a Wolfriver coils Silver bullet mini.

This is NOT a mobile install for a moving vehicle, rather something I can keep in a field kit.

For a telescoping antenna this is made very rugged.  Don't think of the flimsy types most am/fm radios have.  I opted to upgrade with a sturd aluminum knurled collar to add more support to the base.

The whole thing collapses to about 24 inches. 

For resonant tuning with the coil, I typically tune towards to lower portion (digital/CW) and if I go higher towards the SSB/phone portion I just partially collapse one segment to make a shorter element.

As far as performance, since I've only used it with the silver bullet coil, I cannot really compare it to anything.  I did use the reverse beacon network to view my TX on 40/30/20/17/15 meter bands.  So this whip is getting my signal out well enough.

I'd you need a whip antenna for portable use, this is reasonably priced and we'll made.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Buddipole long telescopic whip
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
That looks like the whip that BUDDIPOLE sells in the parts and accessories section of their site.
What a great looking whip! And at a good price too! I'm gonna' order one!

http://www.buddipole.com/lotewh.html

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:44:08 AM »
Here is the whip in action on WFD 2017.  I only made handful of contacts, but I can't blame the antenna.

40F degrees doesn't seem cold until you are sitting outside for 4 hours.  My dog didn't seem to mind...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »
I had,past tense,a MFJ 12 or 15 foot whip and wind wobble cause the 3/8 x 24 threaded part to loosen as it was only crimped and the Buddi whip is much better constructed than the much higher priced MFJ.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »
Here is the whip in action on WFD 2017.  I only made handful of contacts, but I can't blame the antenna.

40F degrees doesn't seem cold until you are sitting outside for 4 hours.  My dog didn't seem to mind...

Like to hear more about the antenna and the tripod you have there.  I am getting gear ready for FD17 and a portable WiFi network is part of it.  I have to UBNT M5 for the bridge and a WiFi AP with Router to run DHCP and such, just need to add one more AP for the other end and I can have a really long Free standing Point to Point Network.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »
SMURF uses a bike stand ,but I can suggest one of these that I use,available as singles ,but I got one for me and one for DON.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015M92GZ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

at about $20 ,it is way better than any photographic tripod I ever tried.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »
SMURF uses a bike stand ,but I can suggest one of these that I use,available as singles ,but I got one for me and one for DON.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015M92GZ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

at about $20 ,it is way better than any photographic tripod I ever tried.

Thanks - Ah - Bike Stand.  That explains the 90deg off center.

Speaker stands,.. that would work, and the cost isn't bad.  I need two, and the set is decently priced.  And easier (nicer looking) that a 5gal bucket of concrete and sand.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 05:17:52 PM »

Speaker stands,.. that would work, and the cost isn't bad.  I need two, and the set is decently priced.  And easier (nicer looking) that a 5gal bucket of concrete and sand.

High winds or tall antennas require an added weight for balance though the speaker stand is rated for 150 POUNDS and a 5 pound sash weigh (I have several) on the middle or on each leg adds to stability ( so do tent pegs)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 05:19:39 PM »

Bike repair stands are not cheap, even the off brand one I bought a decade earlier.  Though they have wide legs and support a lot of weight.  The clamp spins so as to support either the seat post or the horizontal top tube.  Overkill, but I already had it.

Ideally I want one of these:
https://go-vertical-usa.myshopify.com/products/antenna-tripod-29ft-aluminum-portable-tower-mast-kit

Assuming you have rigid aluminum poles for the mast, you can add height by feeding from BENEATH.  It's like a drilling rig in reverse.   I've seen these support beam antennas 30 feet high using 4 foot mast sections.  Really a flexible setup if you do a lot of field work.