Author Topic: Buddipole long telescopic whip  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Buddipole long telescopic whip
« on: November 13, 2016, 09:41:28 AM »
http://www.buddipole.com/lotewh.html

I purchased this as an alternative to a long CB style wire whip.  My intended application was portable HF mounted to  a Wolfriver coils Silver bullet mini.

This is NOT a mobile install for a moving vehicle, rather something I can keep in a field kit.

For a telescoping antenna this is made very rugged.  Don't think of the flimsy types most am/fm radios have.  I opted to upgrade with a sturd aluminum knurled collar to add more support to the base.

The whole thing collapses to about 24 inches. 

For resonant tuning with the coil, I typically tune towards to lower portion (digital/CW) and if I go higher towards the SSB/phone portion I just partially collapse one segment to make a shorter element.

As far as performance, since I've only used it with the silver bullet coil, I cannot really compare it to anything.  I did use the reverse beacon network to view my TX on 40/30/20/17/15 meter bands.  So this whip is getting my signal out well enough.

I'd you need a whip antenna for portable use, this is reasonably priced and we'll made.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Buddipole long telescopic whip
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
That looks like the whip that BUDDIPOLE sells in the parts and accessories section of their site.
What a great looking whip! And at a good price too! I'm gonna' order one!

http://www.buddipole.com/lotewh.html
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:44:08 AM »
Here is the whip in action on WFD 2017.  I only made handful of contacts, but I can't blame the antenna.

40F degrees doesn't seem cold until you are sitting outside for 4 hours.  My dog didn't seem to mind...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »
I had,past tense,a MFJ 12 or 15 foot whip and wind wobble cause the 3/8 x 24 threaded part to loosen as it was only crimped and the Buddi whip is much better constructed than the much higher priced MFJ.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »
Here is the whip in action on WFD 2017.  I only made handful of contacts, but I can't blame the antenna.

40F degrees doesn't seem cold until you are sitting outside for 4 hours.  My dog didn't seem to mind...

Like to hear more about the antenna and the tripod you have there.  I am getting gear ready for FD17 and a portable WiFi network is part of it.  I have to UBNT M5 for the bridge and a WiFi AP with Router to run DHCP and such, just need to add one more AP for the other end and I can have a really long Free standing Point to Point Network.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »
SMURF uses a bike stand ,but I can suggest one of these that I use,available as singles ,but I got one for me and one for DON.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015M92GZ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

at about $20 ,it is way better than any photographic tripod I ever tried.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »
SMURF uses a bike stand ,but I can suggest one of these that I use,available as singles ,but I got one for me and one for DON.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015M92GZ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

at about $20 ,it is way better than any photographic tripod I ever tried.

Thanks - Ah - Bike Stand.  That explains the 90deg off center.

Speaker stands,.. that would work, and the cost isn't bad.  I need two, and the set is decently priced.  And easier (nicer looking) that a 5gal bucket of concrete and sand.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 05:17:52 PM »

Speaker stands,.. that would work, and the cost isn't bad.  I need two, and the set is decently priced.  And easier (nicer looking) that a 5gal bucket of concrete and sand.

High winds or tall antennas require an added weight for balance though the speaker stand is rated for 150 POUNDS and a 5 pound sash weigh (I have several) on the middle or on each leg adds to stability ( so do tent pegs)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 05:19:39 PM »

Bike repair stands are not cheap, even the off brand one I bought a decade earlier.  Though they have wide legs and support a lot of weight.  The clamp spins so as to support either the seat post or the horizontal top tube.  Overkill, but I already had it.

Ideally I want one of these:
https://go-vertical-usa.myshopify.com/products/antenna-tripod-29ft-aluminum-portable-tower-mast-kit

Assuming you have rigid aluminum poles for the mast, you can add height by feeding from BENEATH.  It's like a drilling rig in reverse.   I've seen these support beam antennas 30 feet high using 4 foot mast sections.  Really a flexible setup if you do a lot of field work.