Author Topic: Aquaponics meetup and buildout in East Texas  (Read 1267 times)

Offline hastingr

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Aquaponics meetup and buildout in East Texas
« on: November 14, 2016, 09:18:45 AM »
Hey Gang,
I've been listening to Jack since episode 417, I think. Changed my world!

We moved to the the country last year to start up a Permaculture Farm with an Aquaponics kicker.

I spent the next 9 months building out a 6600 SF greenhouse, with a 16,000 gallon Aquaponics setup.
We have been in production for 3 months now, and there have been weeks when I have very nearly run out of product, forcing me to harvest lettuce that is younger than I would like, but you got to get product to your customers.

We have a website, http://easttexasaquaponics a Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/easttexasaquaponics/ and a meetup group https://www.meetup.com/East-Texas-Aquaponics/.

We do farm tours, and hope to do classes and hands on workshops in the futre, so join the meetup if you might have an interest in the future. Also, make sure you like us on FB, it actually matters on searches and such.

We are currently applying for a $10,000 grant to help us build out the system, which I am sure we will also turn into several meetups as well.
This grant is one of those that requires that we trade social capital for financial capital. Meaning that the public votes for the candidates of their choice, up to once a day for the month of November and that the top vote getters are selected for the grants. There are 13 grants available this year, and so if some of you good folks would log into this link http://tinyurl.com/lettucevote scroll down, find the spot where it says you can vote, register there, and thent vote for our project. We are near the top, in the top five, last I looked, but a few hundred votes would put us in first place.

Help a fellow prepper out by voting for someone else's money!

Once again, the link to vote for our farm expansion is http://tinyurl.com/lettucevote

For those of you that are considering upending their cushy lives to do something impossible, let me tell you that impossible really only means very hard.
When I wake up in the morning to let out the yard birds, I step outside, listen to the woodpeckers, and the owls, and I know I have found my place. If things get tough, or even if they don't. I should rename the farm, "Camp Gramp". Now I just need Grand kids:-)

Richard

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Aquaponics meetup and buildout in East Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 04:34:17 PM »
Sure, what the hell... probably the only vote I'll cast this month which I won't later regret ;)

I can tell you the votes probably don't count for much. Just glancing at the page, anyone could "hack" the number of votes in a few minutes. It would be almost effortless to commit fraud through that system. I'm sure some have already done so (why wouldn't they). Looks like there's a simple session ID that signs a vote and expires daily. Change your IP, clear all cookies (or just use Tor and swap exit nodes) then use an identity bank to have hundreds of unique email accounts forward messages from this site back to you for authentication. Just stay 10-20 votes ahead so as not to rouse suspicions. I don't recommend doing that, it's fraud, but super-easy fraud. You could hire a "clicker" (the lowest level of hacker) for half a bit coin to lock it down for you.

I think you'll do better with the peer-review side of things. I think (for the aforementioned reasons) the voting is just to narrow down the choices and give the illusion of community involvement.

Take to the Regenerative Agriculture Facebook group, lots of followers there who will support you.

Post more images (and increase the saturation on the images you post). It makes a huge difference in how people's perception.

Write a press-release and submit it to your local news outlets. Someone will run with it, even if it's just a 20 second sound bite.

Hit the local college campus with fliers, kids will "like" anything online. You're just getting the word out about your business and why aquaponics is better for the community. All they have to do to support you is click a button, so they will.

Seems like the objective of the grant distribution is partly rooted in community building, so make that the emphasis. How is your operation making the world better?

If you're selling at the public market:

Get a big tip jar for the loose change. On it a flier that explains the money is a donation to help fund the expansion of your business, and better furnish the community with more organic, healthy, local food options. In bold print "Support Local Organic Growers", most people won't read beyond that line and will just drop their change in the jar. Use a coin-star, the receipts make taxes on the donations go a lot easier.

Don't forget about Kickstarter and GoFundMe (the latter is likely better suited to what you're doing).

Good luck!

Offline East Texas Homesteader

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 06:56:37 AM »
Good morning,

I went to your FB page and saw that you have a spring tour on Apr 7th but unfortunately, we can not attend due to a livestock show in Winnsboro.  Do you hold a tour regularly and if so, when is the next tour?

Thanks a bunch

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »
  How about a signal point lesson on how to do it yourself. Not as a business, but just to supply your own needs.