Author Topic: [article] Does Shopping at Costco, Sam's, or BJ's Actually Save You Money?  (Read 15623 times)

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
Re: [article] Does Shopping at Costco, Sam's, or BJ's Actually Save You Money?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 02:00:50 PM »
I did a Costco run a few months back and bought 10 gallons of apple juice and 6 lbs of brown sugar.

First thing that came to my mind was Apple Pie Moonshine.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »
Such willpower and determination deserves KARMA.

Actually, the real test of willpower was refusing seconds on pie.  I love me some pumpkin pie!!

endurance

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 03:42:37 PM »
If you are going to Costco, always go while the local football game is playing. The place is empty. Never go right before... Worst time ever.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 10:20:18 AM »
We don't have any big box stores closer than an hours drive, so we seldom ever shop them.
No club memberships. We shop places like Aldi's, local gro store, Save a Lot, etc.
And we try to be specific in what we buy. We do buy bulk to save if there's enough price drop in bulk.
And we always pick up something for the storehouse. *Always*, every trip. Can of fruit, carton of shelf stable milk, macaroni, etc.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »
I'm not a Costco member, nearest one is about an hour away.  But, today I bought another meat package from my local butcher shop (something you all may have near you too).  It has 3 lbs of new yorks (was a little over 3 lbs), 3 lbs of top sirloin (likely also over weight but they weighed it in the back), 3 lbs of hamburger in patties, and 2 lbs of skinless boneless chicken breasts (also  over weight by a fair bit) for $59.  I added a couple pounds of bacon (they have great thick cut bacon) and had them season 3 of my new yorks for dinner tonight for a grand total of $69.69.  I figure I probably paid a little under $5 a lb based on the packages that were overweight.  Pretty good deal I think. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 04:47:44 PM »
Oh we do Amazon Pantry once in a while. Did an order last night. Watch for the coupon deals, and the 5.99 shipping is free sometimes.
So a 90.00 order, with no shipping and the coupons, total was 74.00

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 05:17:35 PM »
Oh we do Amazon Pantry once in a while. Did an order last night. Watch for the coupon deals, and the 5.99 shipping is free sometimes.
So a 90.00 order, with no shipping and the coupons, total was 74.00

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of stuff do you find on the prime pantry?  I can never find enough I want bad enough to fill a box. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 05:27:46 PM »
Lets see...
Coffee (have to price shop that)
Body wash
Spices
Tomato soup
Dish soap
Paper towels (box filler)
Toilet paper (box filler)

Just have to go into Pantry, then pull up the coupon items. That's where you can save some.
We've found that most of it is too high priced for us.
We like convenience, but won't pay through the nose for it.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2016, 05:29:28 PM »
Right on, I'll have to look into the coupons. 

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 08:07:01 PM »
just started using Amazon's subscription service or whatever they call it. The coconut and almond flours, flaxseed, coffee, and nuts are all cheaper on amazon than at our local Whole Foods or other grocery. We buy organic versions. The office in our complex receives packages shipped via USPS so they are going to start hating me.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2016, 08:31:02 PM »
We do the subscribe and save also. Have for about a year now. The more items you do, the more you save.
We don't do a lot, and have it set for every 3 months, and usually 2, maybe 3 different items.
It's a way to help stock up. We get a couple 500 count aspirins, some suave soap, maybe a 3 pack of tea bags. Go 2-3 shipments like that, then change things around. Add to, drop, reduce, etc

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2016, 09:42:43 PM »
just started using Amazon's subscription service or whatever they call it. The coconut and almond flours, flaxseed, coffee, and nuts are all cheaper on amazon than at our local Whole Foods or other grocery. We buy organic versions. The office in our complex receives packages shipped via USPS so they are going to start hating me.

Bwahahaha

So my first shipments came along with a couple other things I had ordered for 1 time delivery. But I was away for a week and my husband can't get to the office during the week to pick up packages. The office staff asked if they were christmas gifts. I should have just said yes!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »
 :facepalm:   :rofl:

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
I find I am shopping less and less at Bjs.  I can often find deals on Amazon and I don't have to drive 40 minutes round trip.  The boxes all wind up under wood chips in the garden.  Most of our food is coming from local farms including our own. 

I do renew my Costco membership when I need new glasses.  They are one of the few places that have affordable titanium frames for women.  BJ's will now fall into this category since I found my latest pair of glasses there.  They don't mind if you renew once every few years.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
I am a member of Azure Standard for buying stuff foods and staples, not Costco, or Amazon. I order and pay online once a month, then go to a truck pick up spot 10 minutes away a few days later and pick up my order. This is way less expensive for organic foods than local stores. And, unlike Costco ,electronics to navigate around either.....

osubuckeye4

I'm a Costco member and I believe it does save a bit of money every year (even after the membership fee).

Not so much on the food items, but more on the household supplies like garbage bags, paper plates, aluminum foil, toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, etc.

NOTE: We're not "couponers" (we use the occasional coupon here and there, but don't go out of our way to find them), if we were then we might rethink the Costco approach.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
The value of costco will different for each individual.

With that being said, I recently signed up for a Costco membership only because they are building one within walking distance from my house.

My initial impression, so far, is that it's not all that its cracked up to be. I do think it is easy to justify membership fee, but their sales model is to entice you to buy more that normally would. Not in a prepper way, but in a I can't pass up on what appear to be a good deal way.

Example1:
Costco is really good at selling you stuff you didn't know you needed or wanted under the guise that it is a really good deal.

I don't normally eat potato chips or junk food, but look you can buy a 50 lb bag for $150.

Example 2:
Costco is really good at using awkward sizes and variables to confuse customers.

Costco 5 tubes of 8.2 oz tooth paste for 12.99 = $0.32 per oz
Target 2 tube of 6.2 oz tooth paste $4.99 = $0.40 per oz

In this case, Costco was slightly cheaper, but most people don't know the average cost per ounce of tooth paste. so it is very difficult to make a decision on the spot.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:10:41 AM by Black November »

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Costco is really good at selling you stuff you didn't know you needed or wanted under the guise that it is a really good deal.

Costco can save you a lot of money, but you have to go there with a dual mindset - both open minded for great deals (like going in for chicken but finding an amazing deal on fish, so being able to switch it up) and sticking to the list (yes, you will need toilet paper and gallon freezer bags, but no matter how low the price, 50 pounds of avocados isn't a great deal, so no).

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
Costco can save you a lot of money, but you have to go there with a dual mindset - both open minded for great deals (like going in for chicken but finding an amazing deal on fish, so being able to switch it up) and sticking to the list (yes, you will need toilet paper and gallon freezer bags, but no matter how low the price, 50 pounds of avocados isn't a great deal, so no).

Agreed. It is kind of like credit card debt. It works if you use it responsibly, but most Americans are not responsible spenders. There is a lot of temptation to over spend.

My point is that most people don't spend the 5 minutes crunching numbers on their cell phone to determine if it is a good deal, they just assume it is a good deal based on rough estimations in their head regarding type of good and size.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:24:42 AM by Black November »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
You are only saving money if you were planning to buy it before hand.

e.g. if you can save $0.25/roll and stock up on toilet paper - you're saving

If a 4K samsung TV is marked down to only $500, and you rationalize "this was $2000 just a year ago.  what a deal!" <- that is not saving money.  They extracted an additional unplanned $500 from you.  A small set of people may have been patiently waiting to buy a TV, but I'm talking impluse purchases.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor

It is if you have a freeze dryer!  ;D

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964

You can freeze dry avocados?  How do they turn out?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
You can freeze dry avocados?  How do they turn out?

and how do you use them?  I froze mashed avocado for a while for guacamole, but quit when my family got big enough to eat a whole one in a meal.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
and how do you use them?  I froze mashed avocado for a while for guacamole, but quit when my family got big enough to eat a whole one in a meal.

I have only FDed guacamole. But yes, you can FD slices of avocado. I would guess you rehydrate them and use them however you would use an avocado - slices on burgers, guacamole, cilantro-lime-avocado sauce for steak, etc.